Inintal connection - poor performance?
814 7 2021-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Does this happen with anyone else's mini? I've noticed over the last few app updates or so that when I start the drone, the initial signal it connects to is almost always a poor connection. I thought it was the app at first, rolled back and it seemed like the issue was fixed until the very next outing. On Initial start up the drone/remote picks a WiFi channel, when looking in the app the selected channel will often report the lowest latency/noise on that channel indicating that it should be the best to fly on.

If I select the manual option and then switch back to auto the drone will reconnect to WiFi and the next channel it picks will report the lowest latency/noise, but often the first channel it was connected to will now show moderate noise activity on that original channel. I found that If I restart the WiFi after the Initial powering that my mini works like day 1, I have full reception to almost anywhere I choose to fly with only the occasional drop out message from being out of range. It's now become apart of my start up routine but I don't think it should be and that DJI could be doing a better job picking the signal at startup.

2021-8-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, that's not acting right. I don't see that on the Mini but I'm on Fly App V1.4.4 as was having issues on V1.4.8.   Just curious as to which mobile device you are using?
2021-8-20
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

Note 9, Android 10.

I'll get a video next time I'm out, I'm on 1.4.8 again as this issue has been happening for a while now and is just something I've lived with but upon a little more trouble shooting I figured out that doing a WiFi restart fixes my issues. It's the same as turning it off/on again, or when I would swap batteries wonder why the issue was sometimes fixed but not others. Also when I say poor, I mean I would get video freeze, lag, drone seemed unresponsive, and a lot of errors about interference. As soon as the WiFi is restarted the drone performs as expected.
2021-8-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 8-20 08:06
Note 9, Android 10.

I'll get a video next time I'm out, I'm on 1.4.8 again as this issue has been happening for a while now and is just something I've lived with but upon a little more trouble shooting I figured out that doing a WiFi restart fixes my issues. It's the same as turning it off/on again, or when I would swap batteries wonder why the issue was sometimes fixed but not others. Also when I say poor, I mean I would get video freeze, lag, drone seemed unresponsive, and a lot of errors about interference. As soon as the WiFi is restarted the drone performs as expected.

That is a bit strange behavior.  Will be interested in seeing what happens next time out in the video you make.  
2021-8-21
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

Went out this morning for a little spin and it wasn't as bad as it's been but I was able to capture it. I'll get the video uploaded later but it's really easy to see how the drone improves from a simple wifi restart.
2021-8-28
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

0:00 Intro
0:13 Initial Connection
0:47 Start of flight
1:02 Pre-Flight Checks
1:30 Laggy, Choppy, Stuttery Video Begins
2:45 Aircraft Interference
2:51 Signal Check
3:14 View of the house, 70ft high, poor performance
4:18 End of Laggy, Choppy, Stuttery video
4:21 Signal Check and WiFi Restart
4:36 Reconnected, Signal Check
4:54 Take Off
5:02 Smooth Responsive Video Begins
5:59 Normal Signal Hiccup
6:20 Normal Weak Signal

6:43 Tree Level and the video is still super smooth
6:50 Lets go lower behind the tree's
7:00 Behind tree's just 20ft above the water and the video signal is weak but still smooth
7:20 Signal Check
7:40 WiFi Drone btw
8:20 Landing

8:29 Final signal check - Where did all the interference go?
8:40 End

2021-8-29
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

I don't know what I expected, DJI is never going to review the video and will only offer me the same copy paste response as the next guy. Shame on you DJI, even though it's an older drone you should still care about our experience and offer some form of assistance...Shame!

I guess at this point I'll just keep flying the little guy till  it ends in a fireball, Thanks DJI!  
2021-8-30
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

I'm bumping this thread again, DJI look I'm not the only one with this issue: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=248662

Please forward this to your engineers for review, something is not right with the Mavic Mini and SE's.
2021-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules