I received a complaint about me flying my mini 2 over my neighbourhood
925 2 2021-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TSC123
lvl.2
Flight distance : 674291 ft
United Kingdom

I was just going for my first flight in my garden and was having a great time! I was not taking any intrusive pictures or snooping on peoples houses. I was just getting some nice photos and some of them may have had glimpses of the people in but that was from them sitting in the garden. I was above 25m when outside of my garden. After the flight I came inside and there was a knock at the door.  

The two people at the door said “ have you got a drone, because you are hovering above my house ( which I wasn’t doing on purpose and hardly stayed in one place) and taking photos of me (which I wasn’t doing on purpose but in some photos there is tiny images of them). Your trespassing.” I said “no I’m not and I’m allowed to fly over residential areas” I have my operator id ( which my dad got me and is on my mini 2) and flyer id which I don’t even need - I didn’t show them this though. She did not seem to know what she was on about!  

Was I right in what I did and was I allowed to fly there? It made me feel a bit intimidated as she said for it to never happen again and I’m only 15! I would appreciate some feedback!
2021-8-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In the UK you can over fly property but if you're upsetting the neighbour best just not to fly there again,  or wait until they are out.    I have a neighbour that would definitely complain if it saw it ( athough thats not happened yet) and always wait until they are out.   
2021-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm not 100% sure about the UK. Here in NL you can fly over congested area's with your <250g drone.
There are other restrictions of course, so make sure you know if you are allowed to fly before taking off!

But even if you can, it does not mean you should do it after a complaint.
Flying over someones property is quite often an issue (people don't like that in general).
Especially not when they are outside.
And I can see why. (I would not like a drone flying over my backyard either)
So when I want to fly over someones backyard, I try to be visible on the street. So they can approach me and ask questions.
They don't know what you are doing and for all they know, you might be sneeking up on their daughter or whatever.

You might be better off posting your question in the 'products' section of this forum to get a UK specific answer!
Just create a new thread here : https://forum.dji.com/forum-129-1.html and select the right category / subcategory.
2021-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules