Connecting iPad Air 2020 (4th) to the Phantom 3 Professional
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Saphir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37211 ft

Poland

Hello,

I own a P3P and I was flying with my iPhone 11 Pro Max without any problems. I bought an iPad Air 4th to have a bigger live view while flying.

The iPad has an USB-C connector, so I had to buy a new cable. Therefore, I used Lighting to full size USB. The cable I bought is an Anker PowerLine Select+ USB-A to USB-C 2.0.

Well, it doesn't work. So, my guesses are, that probably the cable is not right or maybe even it's not supported at all to connect any USB-C device to the Phantom 3 Pro?

Is someone maybe using this combo and could confirm that this could work, or does someone know the solution which cable should I use? An OTG maybe?

2021-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Saphir. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. There could be a compatibility issue with the mobile device ( iPad Air 2020 (4th) ) that you are using on your DJI Phantom 3 Pro that is why you are having this issue. Upon checking the said mobile device ( iPad Air 2020 (4th) ) that your are trying to use on your DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPad Air 2020 (4th)  will be able to work on the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Go application while using it on the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and for the DJI Go application. Thank you.

2021-8-24
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Blimey, that's a heck of a long way roun of saying the iPad Air 4th isn't compatible!

Remember the P3P is an OLD man now, so get an OLD pad of some sort. I use the NVIDIA Shield with my P3A and works a treat! Cheap as well!!
2021-8-24
Use props
Saphir
lvl.1

Poland

Well, that's all I knew already..., but it says it's compatible only to iPhone 7, and I'm using it with my iPhone 11 Pro Max, without any problem..., so it *should* also work with the iPad Air 2020 (4th).

It's just ridiculous, that I must buy a new DJI drone, just to use my iPad Air - which I bought for that reason mainly... where would be the problem just to run an update for the DJI Go App? The Phantom 4 Pro uses almost the same Controller and there in the DJI Go 4 App it is possible to run an iPad with a USB-C connector (AFAIK, read some threats about it).

My guesses are, that if I would buy an old iPad with a Lightning port, it would probably work, but it’s irrational to buy a *new* old iPad…, because I use it also for work.

I’m going to test today another two USB-C to USB-A cables, hopefully one of them would work.
2021-8-25
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Interesting, if you look at the DJI Compatible list it says your new iPad Air 4th generation, is compatible!, number 8 on the list. Or have I got that wrong?
2021-8-25
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-24 18:58
Hello there Saphir. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. There could be a compatibility issue with the mobile device ( iPad Air 2020 (4th) ) that you are using on your DJI Phantom 3 Pro that is why you are having this issue. Upon checking the said mobile device ( iPad Air 2020 (4th) ) that your are trying to use on your DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPad Air 2020 (4th)  will be able to work on the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and with the DJI Go application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Go application while using it on the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro and for the DJI Go application. Thank you.

[view_image]

According to this list his iPad is compatible!
2021-8-25
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I would suggest it is a problem with the cable you are using.  Some are for charging only and do not have the data lines connected.  Try another cable, especially a genuine Apple USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the iPad.  I'm not sure how they come in your country but the cable usually disconnects from the charger to reveal a USB-A plug.

Can you expand on what you mean by "it doesn't work"?  Is the Ipad charging from the remote controller, or at least showing that it is plugged in?

2021-8-26
Use props
Saphir
lvl.1

Poland

Well, the genuine cable from Apple which comes with the iPad is an USB-C to USB-C cable. That's why I need a new one and bought the Anker. It was only charging; I could not access the camera view in the DJI GO app.

But I found already the reason. It was in fact the cable, which caused the problem. I got a new one and on this one worked without any problem. So, I can confirm the iPad Air 4th is compatible with the Phantom 3 Pro, but only with the right cable.
2021-8-27
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Way to go Saphir, happy flying!!
2021-8-27
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Saphir Posted at 8-27 03:30
Well, the genuine cable from Apple which comes with the iPad is an USB-C to USB-C cable. That's why I need a new one and bought the Anker. It was only charging; I could not access the camera view in the DJI GO app.

But I found already the reason. It was in fact the cable, which caused the problem. I got a new one and on this one worked without any problem. So, I can confirm the iPad Air 4th is compatible with the Phantom 3 Pro, but only with the right cable.

Good to hear.  I was just guessing with how the new USB-C models are sold, and assumed they would have USB-A plugs on one end.

The other alternative is to get an adapter for the Apple USB-C cable, e.g. USB 3.0 Type A Male to USB 3.1 Type C Female Adapter from eBay etc.  Could be useful to carry as a spare in case the new cable is damaged.  They are pretty cheap insurance.

2021-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules