Iphone Dims Mid Flight
363 9 2021-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wdufrene
lvl.1

United States

Sorry I am new to this thread. if this belongs someplace else please let me know.
I recently traded my Phantom for for a Mavic Pro. Everythign was fine until the last update.  Or i never noticed it before as i had not flown it much in this South Louisiana Heat.  after a few min of flying my screen goes Dim so Dim i cant see what i am recording. i cant make adjustments on my DJI go 4 app because i cant see any settings.  everythign that i have gathered so far is that its something to do with the  DJI go 4app  and a direct wire to the controler? Has anyone else had this issue?  the drone becomes Useless if i cant see wha ti am recording or taking photos of at work and  in play!  is there a patch to fix this? something i can put on the phone besides ICE PACKS?

I also fly with no case on the phone so its not that its not getting enough Air.  I use an Iphone 11ProMax  

thanks in advance
2021-8-24
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, it’s a known iPhone problem in the heat.  It happens to me with my old iPhone as well as my current iPhone 11 Pro.
2021-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Wdufrene. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. There could be a compatibility issue with the mobile device ( iPhone 11Pro Max   ) that you are using on the DJI Go 4 application that is why you are having this issue. Upon checking the said mobile device ( iPhone 11Pro Max ) that your are using. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said DJI application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPhone 11Pro Max will be able to work on the DJI Go 4 application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Go 4 application while using it. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Go 4 application. Thank you.

2021-8-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

An iPhone in very hot weather will dim the screen to prevent overheating -- it has nothing to do with Go 4.

When this happens I try to find shade and fly from there. I guess one of those cold-packs used in sports might come in handy.
2021-8-25
Use props
Wdufrene
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-24 20:30
Hello there Wdufrene. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. There could be a compatibility issue with the mobile device ( iPhone 11Pro Max   ) that you are using on the DJI Go 4 application that is why you are having this issue. Upon checking the said mobile device ( iPhone 11Pro Max ) that your are using. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said DJI application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPhone 11Pro Max will be able to work on the DJI Go 4 application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Go 4 application while using it. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Go 4 application. Thank you.

[view_image]

I will try my old Iphone 8Plus as i see it is recommended. and respond to my findings.
2021-8-26
Use props
Wdufrene
lvl.1

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 8-25 14:05
An iPhone in very hot weather will dim the screen to prevent overheating -- it has nothing to do with Go 4.

When this happens I try to find shade and fly from there. I guess one of those cold-packs used in sports might come in handy.

when you pay this much for a product you just expect it to w work all over. i live in South Louisiana so its hot in the shade!.  from what i have been reading it has more to do with the  direct connect and heating at the charging port. i plan to run some heat test with my thermal camera and see if the heat is being produced largely at the port or if its more a steady temp increase across the whole phone as if it was left in the sun. last week i came from a shady area to an open field an in less than 5 min it was going dim. I also have an old Iphone 8plus that was recomended above and ill remove all apps other than DJI go4 and see what that one does!  
2021-8-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Wdufrene Posted at 8-26 04:14
when you pay this much for a product you just expect it to w work all over. i live in South Louisiana so its hot in the shade!.  from what i have been reading it has more to do with the  direct connect and heating at the charging port. i plan to run some heat test with my thermal camera and see if the heat is being produced largely at the port or if its more a steady temp increase across the whole phone as if it was left in the sun. last week i came from a shady area to an open field an in less than 5 min it was going dim. I also have an old Iphone 8plus that was recomended above and ill remove all apps other than DJI go4 and see what that one does!

Heat is generated while charging, and that can be a problem in already hot conditions, but unlike DJI's latest models I don't think iPhones are charged by the older remote (Androids generally are). What people do is turn up the brightness so they can see better in the sun and that generates a lot of heat. If your remote is newer then it may well charge the iPhone -- then it's best to always start with a fully charged device.

I drive a convertible and keep my phone in a dash vent grip so it gets exposed to direct sun and sometimes will dim back the screen on me, though it doesn't seem to do that as much with my iPhone 7 as it did with my 5 --  used to hold my iPhone 5 out the window while driving to cool it down so the display would be visible again. In the car I keep it charging via a cigarette lighter adaptor so sometimes I have to wait a bit when I get to my flying destination for the phone to cool down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't joking about the cold pack -- haven't tried it but bet it would work. Just had oral surgery and they gave me one in my discharge kit, which is why it came to mind.

BTW, I strongly suspect your newer phone is fine for the job and that DJI just hasn't gotten around to certifying it it.  Good luck.
2021-8-26
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

You mean an Ice-Accu? Yes,you can do that. Did you switch in to the airplane mode in that hot days or not?
2021-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Wdufrene Posted at 8-26 04:10
I will try my old Iphone 8Plus as i see it is recommended. and respond to my findings.

Hi there Wdufrene. Thank you for the reply and for these information. Kindly please keep us posted for further assistance and thank you.
2021-8-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Peterx Posted at 8-26 10:56
You mean an Ice-Accu? Yes,you can do that. Did you switch in to the airplane mode in that hot days or not?

I'm talking about this kind of product:
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Cold-Pack-Disposable-Packs/dp/B07YF4PFVH/ref=asc_df_B07YF4PFVH/

Instant cold packs are perfect for any emergency situations, just squeeze a flexible instant cold pack until inner bag pops, it will turn ice cold instantly, apply on area needed, it will relieve pain and reduce swelling.
2021-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules