Mini 2 with iPad Mini 4
9841 28 2021-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Good afternoon fellow pilots... I purchased the Mini 2 a couple months ago, and with an adapter, my ipad mini 4 worked great.  However, recently (not sure if it started after the last update),  every time I fly, the video has a huge lag 10-15 seconds and the video is very choppy.  I also get a notice in the top left corner of the fly app saying "Mobile Device CPU is fully loaded.  Related performance will be affected.".  This wasn't happening for the first few weeks I had this, and I was flying a couple times a day.  This is a T-Mobile, one, however I fly in airplane mode... I have removed all non essential apps, turned off all background updates.  Again, it worked fine without any issues for several weeks.  Any suggestions/remediation ideas?
2021-8-24
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41191 ft

Germany

Hopefully that doesn't happen to me too. I also bought an iPad 4 Mini Wifi with Cellular for the DJI Mini 2 today.
2021-8-24
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Pinarek Posted at 8-24 11:40
Hopefully that doesn't happen to me too. I also bought an iPad 4 Mini Wifi with Cellular for the DJI Mini 2 today.

I have used the Mini 4  ipad for all my drones up till now.  This is the first time I have seen this warning (and as I mentioned.. it worked great with the Mini 2 for a few weeks).  
2021-8-24
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

Thanks @Fans798e41b9 for the info.
But where does this message come from ? Must have a cause.
Which iOS version do you have installed on the iPad 4 mini ? the 14.6 or 14.7? or your beta of iOS 15?
2021-8-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It could just be that the app is too resource hungry now for the ageing Ipad Mini 4 now, after all, it's only a 1.5 dual core and 2gb ram, that's low in standards theses days.

My Samsung Tab S2 9.7 is 3gb ram with a 1.3GHz octa-core processor and there's a very
slight (milisecond) stutter even with those specs and it beats the iPad mini 4 in most areas except battery.

Also, i forgot about the GPU,

Why is ARM Mali T760 (Tab S2) better than Imagination Technologies PowerVR GX6450? (Ipad Mini 4)
  • 150MHz faster GPU clock speed
    600MHz vs 450MHz
  • 0.7 TFLOPS higher floating-point performance
    0.81 TFLOPS vs 0.115 TFLOPS
  • 1.1 newer version of DirectX
    11.1 vs 10

You could try deleting the app's cache, uninstall it and then reinstall, see how that goes?

2021-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to check if you could limit the capacity of video cache that would save in the application and enable the automatically delete the old cache. In addition, have you tried using a different recommended mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI Fly application will test the usage of the mobile device's CPU. When the CPU is overloaded, decoding of transmission and flight communication system may be affected and the device will get hot. Kindly please try to switch the mobile device to Airplane Mode to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you.
2021-8-24
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

That's not good news .. I got EXTRA !! I only bought this iPad 4 mini WiFi + Cellular for the DJI Mini2,
in order to use it to make calls in the wilderness via 4G and because the 7.9 inch display is better than
my previous iPhone 7 plus with only 5 .5 inches.

I just want to hope that I don't experience the same thing with a long delay in video image transmission.

Why doesn't DJI write as NOT RECOMMENDED control devices then that this iPad mini 4 is not suitable,
then I shouldn't have bought it.
UPDATE:

I just looked at the list of compatible devices for the DJI Fly app for iOS and it clearly states that
the iPad 4 mini 8 inch is compatible with the DJI Fly pp 1.4.8.

So why are there problems with the video cache and video image transmission?

If YOU from DJI write this, your engineers must have tested it beforehand and therefore such errors
as a user reported here should not occur.

Here is a scrrenshot from the list of compatible devices for
the DJI Fly pp for iOS version 1.4.8

I then reserve the right to sue DJI for compensation for my purchased iPad 4 mini WiFi and Cellular
if it does not work as intended with the DJI Fly app 1.4.8 and the latest iOS software (currently iOS 14.7).

combatible Devices

combatible Devices
2021-8-25
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-24 20:03
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to check if you could limit the capacity of video cache that would save in the application and enable the automatically delete the old cache. In addition, have you tried using a different recommended mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI Fly application will test the usage of the mobile device's CPU. When the CPU is overloaded, decoding of transmission and flight communication system may be affected and the device will get hot. Kindly please try to switch the mobile device to Airplane Mode to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you.

I did try switching to airplane mode... this is the ipad mini 4 with cellular capability (but I do not use a SIM card).  The IOS is the latest version 14.7.1  I feel like this only started after the last round of firmware updates for the app/drone (not sure which).
2021-8-25
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Pinarek Posted at 8-24 13:47
Thanks @Fans798e41b9 for the info.
But where does this message come from ? Must have a cause.
Which iOS version do you have installed on the iPad 4 mini ? the 14.6 or 14.7? or your beta of iOS 15?

I am using the latest version 1.4.7  and this seems to only have started after the last firmware updates (app, controler, drone... not sure which).
2021-8-25
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-24 18:50
It could just be that the app is too resource hungry now for the ageing Ipad Mini 4 now, after all, it's only a 1.5 dual core and 2gb ram, that's low in standards theses days.

My Samsung Tab S2 9.7 is 3gb ram with a 1.3GHz octa-core processor and there's a very

I agree that the mini 4 is aging.. but it worked great with the mini 2 for several weeks.  I think it was a firmware update.. not sure which (fly app, controler, drone, ios.. ) but after one of these is when this started happening, and it happens every time and right away.  How do I clear cache on an ipad mini 4?
2021-8-25
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Pinarek Posted at 8-25 06:02
That's not good news .. I got EXTRA !! I only bought this iPad 4 mini WiFi + Cellular for the DJI Mini2,
in order to use it to make calls in the wilderness via 4G and because the 7.9 inch display is better than
my previous iPhone 7 plus with only 5 .5 inches.

I agree.. and it worked great for several weeks.  it seems like these issues started after some firmware update.  I am just not sure which one.. was it fly app, controller, drone, ios..?  Hopefully someone from DJI can provide some answers.
2021-8-25
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

There is no extra firmware for the drone itself, only the DJI Fly app and iOS update for the iPad or iPhone.
And is it still like that with you now. with the delay in image transmission @fans798e41b9 ?
I get my iPad 4 mini 128GB with WiFi and Cellular on 08/26/21.

I then test it immediately and if it doesn't work with the current iOS 14.7, I claim compensation from DJI for the
purchase price of the iPad 4 mini 128Gb with WiFi and Cellular, since the system requirements (see my screenshots)
clearly state that this iPad is compatible.
Try to remember when the problems started!
If you updated Apple iOS or the DJI Fly app, you need to know roughly the date on which the problem started.

Then you could do some research to see whether an update for Apple iOS was released from that date or whether
the firmware update for the DJI Fly app for Apple iOS was released.

2021-8-25
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Pinarek Posted at 8-25 15:10
There is no extra firmware for the drone itself, only the DJI Fly app and iOS update for the iPad or iPhone.
And is it still like that with you now. with the delay in image transmission @fans798e41b9 ?

Yes...  the delay is significant, ~10 seconds, very choppy and the notification I mentioned about the CPU being overloaded
2021-8-25
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

fans798e41b9 Posted at 8-25 15:16
Yes...  the delay is significant, ~10 seconds, very choppy and the notification I mentioned about the CPU being overloaded

As you write it, the iPad 4 Mini is then unusable, with a 10 second delay in the video image when flying. Until then (i.e. in 10 seconds) the drone is now somewhere else out of control.
Where do you live @fans798e41b9 ?
I live in Germany near Magdeburg in the state of Saxony-Anhalt.

2021-8-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans798e41b9 Posted at 8-25 15:16

Have you tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it again?
2021-8-25
Use props
TomasP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 121253 ft
Poland

Mobile Device CPU fully loaded

After several months of trying to solve this problem, it turns out that unfortunately, as I wrote earlier:
The minimum iDevices are iPad 5 mini and iPhone X.
2021-8-25
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

TomasP Posted at 8-25 23:06
Mobile Device CPU fully loaded

After several months of trying to solve this problem, it turns out that unfortunately, as I wrote earlier:

Well according to DJI the Mini 4 is a compatible device.  I will say, I just deleted all the photos on the mini 4, un installed the fly app, and re-installed it.  I have Bluetooth turned off, and am not allowing the app to save photos/video to the tablet (so should only be saving to the SD card).  I took it out for a short 8 minute flight around my neighborhood and have not gotten the "Device CPU fully loaded"  message yet... normally I would have gotten that within 30 seconds of take off... so I will see if this continues to work.  BUT again as I mentioned.. It was working fine with Bluetooth on and saving pictures to the tablet for several weeks when I first got it.  So something changed to cause this problem.
2021-8-26
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

@fansxxxx ... what you have only now switched off, I actually assumed that you had already done that for a long time.
That is also nonsense, the pictures that are already stored on the memory card in better quality, then also to be saved in lower
quality on the iPad or iPhone via Bluetooth. Maybe that was the cause.

And today I canceled my order for an iPad 4 Mini 64GB based on your and other people's information that the CPU was overloaded.
But no matter, to be on the safe side, I ordered an iPad 5 mini (built in 2019) with 64GB and LTE 4G today. I think that has a powerful
Processor and 3GB of RAM to work fine with the damn DJI Fly app in iOS.

Nevertheless, all users should note that if the pictures and videos are already saved on a good, fast SD card, you don't need to additionally
save the videos and pictures via BT on the iPad or iPhone, what should that be Nonsense?
2021-8-26
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Pinarek Posted at 8-26 09:17
@fansxxxx ... what you have only now switched off, I actually assumed that you had already done that for a long time.
That is also nonsense, the pictures that are already stored on the memory card in better quality, then also to be saved in lower
quality on the iPad or iPhone via Bluetooth. Maybe that was the cause.

That is probably a smart decision.. new features and new drones will only continue to use more and more CPU.  I will probably look into the mini 6 (if Apple releases one in the next couple months).  The 4 is definitely getting to be a little old
2021-8-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thing is, as the app evolves, it starts to knock lower spec, recommended devices off of the list as they become unusable, its just the way it goes, sadly...
2021-8-26
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Had the same notice pop up on last flight on my Mini-4 TAB,  while flying the Mini2, the TAB was a little hot on the back as well.  I am also with T-Mobile, but was flying
on Wi-Fi rather than Cellular.  Mine has 128GB and latest software.
    Will have to try "Airplane Mode" on next flight, it was NOT on during the last flight.
2021-8-29
Use props
fans798e41b9
lvl.2
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 8-29 12:07
Had the same notice pop up on last flight on my Mini-4 TAB,  while flying the Mini2, the TAB was a little hot on the back as well.  I am also with T-Mobile, but was flying
 on Wi-Fi rather than Cellular.  Mine has 128GB and latest software.
    Will have to try "Airplane Mode" on next flight, it was NOT on during the last flight.

Here is what I did, that finally has stopped that message from popping up and from the massive 5 -10 second lag.  Although, I have only flown a couple times since doing this, so will see if it continues to work:
Airplane mode
turn off all background updates
turn off Bluetooth
delete pictures and free up as much hard drive space
do not have pictures save to the tablet (they are lower quality anyway I think, you can just pull them off the SD card).
I also made all these changes after un-installing and re-intalling the DJI Fly app.

Hope it helps
2021-8-29
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

fans798e41b9 Posted at 8-29 16:09
Here is what I did, that finally has stopped that message from popping up and from the massive 5 -10 second lag.  Although, I have only flown a couple times since doing this, so will see if it continues to work:
Airplane mode
turn off all background updates

Will give it a try - thank you.  Will report back.
2021-8-29
Use props
Nik In The Mud
lvl.3
Canada

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 2021-8-29 18:08
Will give it a try - thank you.  Will report back.

Ok. So after reading this thread would an iPad Mini 4 32GB work or not? I don't really want to buy one only to have it ... the bed on me.
2023-5-16
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Nik In The Mud Posted at 5-16 17:24
Ok. So after reading this thread would an iPad Mini 4 32GB work or not? I don't really want to buy one only to have it ... the bed on me.

Gave imini 4 Apple to daughter, I got one of the old Smart Controllers, and really like it.
2023-5-19
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

Unfortunately the iPad Mini 4 uses the A08 processor and it is severely under powered for drone usage.  I use to use it myself and ran across the lag that you are currently experiencing.  The iPad mini 4 runs with 2 gigs of RAM and does not have the basic guts anymore to run the software anymore.  I updated to a iPad mini 6 recently and it uses the A15 processor and it runs perfectly for droning.  The only problem I find is that it doesn't work with my Phantom 4 Pro while the iPad 4 mini still does.
2023-5-22
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Sorry to say that I believe the iPad Mini 5 (either WiFi or cellular) is the minimum hardware required run the current version DJI Fly app with any stability.  The Apple A8 soc chip in the Mini 4 lacks the processing power needed.
2023-6-2
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... sorry, but maybe you are wrong...

For years I used my iPad Mini 4 (wi-fi only) for flying with the Mavic Pro, last year I bought a Mini 2 (I had sold my Mavic Pro) and since then I'm flying this drone with that same iPad Mini 4 without any problems...

Remove all apps you don't need on your iPad, that works for phones with instability during flights... so maybe for the ipad also!

Edit:  iPad software version 15.7.6 and DJI Fly version 1.10.1(766).

2023-6-2
Use props
Kilrymont
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14275 ft
United Kingdom

Shawgod Posted at 5-22 07:36
Unfortunately the iPad Mini 4 uses the A08 processor and it is severely under powered for drone usage.  I use to use it myself and ran across the lag that you are currently experiencing.  The iPad mini 4 runs with 2 gigs of RAM and does not have the basic guts anymore to run the software anymore.  I updated to a iPad mini 6 recently and it uses the A15 processor and it runs perfectly for droning.  The only problem I find is that it doesn't work with my Phantom 4 Pro while the iPad 4 mini still does.

My Mini4 has been flying all my drones just dandy. Including a P4 std, P4 Adv, Mavic Pro and one of the very earliest Mavic Airs here in the U.K. Using the Go app, and bought the iPad because the Android version at that time was too fond of freezes and crash outs.  Apart from being dimmer than I'd have liked (easily cured by using a sunshade) thst ?mini 4 has been an excellent drone screen.
HOWEVER. Three iOS updates back it was suddenly slowed down, like it was suddenly wading through treacle instead of running free and clean. Two more releases from Apple have, of course, done - nothing to alleviate this.
Could issues like that be part of the reason for the ills now reported from mini4 users? Guessing they sure didn't help any... This has effectively made my previously nippy #4 iPad a trial to use fir anything, with app load times up, waiting times all now extended while it dithers rather than get on with its job as used to be its way.
2023-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules