(of course given a big enough space)

Thanks for any advice.

R

2015-7-27
Use props
Rennie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can no one offer any advice on this?   By implication I am meaning that both GPS and compass are of no use.

Thanks
2015-7-29
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rennie Posted at 2015-7-30 00:30
Can no one offer any advice on this?   By implication I am meaning that both GPS and compass are of  ...

I think everyone is a little afraid of saying sure you can...I have but just for some flight testing such as just lifting up enough to check landing gear or something. But, DJI put out a video of an endurance test but the 1000 was tethered...however, it was indoors. You decide.
2015-7-30
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

Why should one be afraid of saying "sure you can"?
Of course you can fly indoors - given there's enough space (as mentioned). You will have to fly in atti or even manual mode as you won't have GPS and the compass may be disturbed. But what's the need for it indoors anyway. On the bright side, you won't have to spend any thoughts on wind and weather.
2015-7-30
Use props
rotorhead8
lvl.1

United States

I fly mine in a hangar all the time. Cannot acquire satellites though, so you're forced to fly in atti mode.
2015-7-31
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

chris_t Posted at 2015-7-31 07:14
Why should one be afraid of saying "sure you can"?
Of course you can fly indoors - given there's eno ...

Sorry...after all these years I'm just gun shy of saying "sure you can"...I didn't know what he was going to fly around in and didn't want to get blamed for cutting a kid in half
2015-7-31
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2015-8-1 01:06
Sorry...after all these years I'm just gun shy of saying "sure you can"...I didn't know what he was ...

There you are totally right. You always have to start from the stupidity of others.

All I was trying to point out was, that - in principle - one can fly indoors.
Of course you have to be extra careful because of the restricted space.
It was meant as a general advice: yes, you can. But what you make out of it, is on you, not me.
I should have pointed that out.

P.S.
I like cutting kids in half outside much more. You don't have to worry about all the blood on the ground. ;-)
2015-7-31
Use props
Rennie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was asking mainly as I was concerned as to what happens if the compass is upset by for example the metal frame of a warehouse, etc.  I realise there would be no GPS and I would have to fly in ATTI - no problem.  But I saw a utube video once of a guy crashing an S1000 when he lost control of it flying under a bridge, and all the comments were saying it was because the metal bridge had upset the compass, and that worried me.  Any further comment on that?

Cheers,

2015-8-3
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

Hi Rennie.

Don't know which video you were referring to.
Was it perhaps this one:
There are different speculations about this particular crash. To me it doesn't seem to be due to compass or GPS failure.
The compass might get confused indoors, but why would that lead to such a crash?

Cheers
Chris
2015-8-18
Use props
Rennie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

chris_t Posted at 2015-8-18 19:25
Hi Rennie.

Don't know which video you were referring to.

Hi chris_t,

Yes that's the video.  Scared me.

Thanks
2015-8-28
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

Yes, that is scary. But for sure had nothing to do with a GPS or compass problem.
YouTube and Vimeo are full of scary movies. Just try "flip of death" esp. in combination with "S800".
2015-8-29
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I see powerlines...I am scared of powerlines...here is a link to a 1000 that took off in Atti and when switched to GPS mode it crashed. Was it the powerlines? I dunno...in your video we dont know what the guy was doing with the controls...maybe panic? Maybe this, maybe that....a 1000 is too expensive for maybe's. I personally use Atti all the time unless I want to hover in place...but thats just me.
2015-8-30
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

That looks bad, indeed.
But I don't see the point, why powerlines should affect the GPS in such a way, that the aircraft comes down like that.
Maybe it loses one satellite or two, but such severe reaction?
It's in the description of the video, that it happened immediately after switching into GPS-Mode, I know. Still, there are so many out there, flying around power lines - much bigger ones - without any problems.
I guess, we'll never know for sure. So the best advice would be to stay away, because you never know what will happen or not.
2015-8-31
Use props
ducpeter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62175 ft
  • >>>
Canada

if you are flying close to power-lines you have to shield all your wiring and electronics' of the copter except your GPS/compass
the new GPS Pro plus is helpful for this if you need it, also when you switch GPS <-> Atti
2015-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules