Is the DJI Pocket 2 a dead platform? No more FW updates?
10962 35 2021-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ithinkitsgio
New

United States

Hi all,

Just hoping to get a simple yes or no answer here from the DJI team.

I just got my Pocket 2 so I'm a bit concerned support for this is already ended.
Clearly there are still areas of improvement to be had. I won't list them here but the community forums make it clear.

Thanks,
Gio

2021-8-26
Use props
wguzman
lvl.4
Dominican Republic

Yes is dead
2021-8-26
Use props
alexmbraMav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

I learned my lesson: I wont buy any other product from DJI again. They never finishes a product.  They move to another version without fixing the problems that their product has.
2021-8-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Pocket 2 is still available on our store website, therefore, we will continue to provide after-sales services and updates on the said unit base on our customer's suggestions and requests. However, as of the moment, we still don't have the information on when the new firmware for the DJI Pocket 2 is available. Kindly please subscribe to our official website for the latest news and events. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2021-8-26
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

History is repeating itself.

What I see here is that if new firmware is coming it will be released at the same time with Pocket 3. If they put new things to the Pocket 2 now it will reduce Pocket 3 sales. So when Pocket 3 comes with new features they will give minor firmware for Pocket 2.

Or they just focus same coders to do another products to sell. Sad to see that wonderful products are ruined by software engineering.
2021-8-26
Use props
element33
lvl.2
Russia

Aavalaakso Posted at 8-26 22:38

What I see here is that if new firmware is coming it will be released at the same time with Pocket 3. If they put new things to the Pocket 2 now it will reduce Pocket 3 sales. So when Pocket 3 comes with new features they will give minor firmware for Pocket 2.

The new quad bayer sensor may not be compatible with the old H2 soc platform.
Dji does not provide official comments regarding video flickering, image degradation in 4k50 - 4k60 modes, hdr crop and object traking.  
In my opinion, the remaining problems simply cannot be solved by the software.
2021-8-26
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

element33 Posted at 8-26 23:04
The new quad bayer sensor may not be compatible with the old H2 soc platform.
Dji does not provide official comments regarding video flickering, image degradation in 4k50 - 4k60 modes, hdr crop and object traking.  
In my opinion, the remaining problems simply cannot be solved by the software.

For the first time Dji did provide explanation of why some users are seeing video flickering in that latest discussion.  
2021-8-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aavalaakso Posted at 8-26 22:38

I think you are correct in saying "history is repeating itself".  
2021-8-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I come from the generation where you bought something, and that was it.  So I regard firmware updates as a bonus.  But at the same time I recognise that sometimes such updates are required to make the product perform as advertised.

It seems to me that the firmware now matches what the hardware can support in terms of performance and function, bearing in mind that it is a design obejctive that the device should not shut down with overheating on very long clips.  So, I doubt whether there will be much to come before the newer, larger, more capable and more expensive device arrives once the worldwide chip shortage is over.

I don't think that DJI would consider the Pocket 2 to be any kind of commercial failure.  There are probably tens of thousands of YouTube videos created by a huge number of satisfied customers out there.  There are a smaller number of customers who expected more, rightly or wrongly, but that's always the case.  Taking all things into account (with the DIA handle attached) I don't think there's a better gimbal camera out there.  (Some say the Pocket 1 does better video but that is countered by the worse audio - depending on what your priorities are).
2021-8-27
Use props
alexmbraMav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

I come from the generation where you bought something, and that was it. But the things that you bought  work as advertised when you bought them. So, there would be no need to firmware update.
2021-8-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I take your point.  

The problem these days is that the marketing people tend to overrule the development people.  So the development people might say, we are hoping the device will have these features, and we need a couple of months more to get it fully ready for release.  And the marketing people say, no, we will release it next week and announce all those features, and you can fix it later.  

I don't think DJI are the only company that seems to work that way these days.  I can think of other gimbal camera companies which have released devices which were close to unusable even for basic use.  After some weeks or even months, they fixed most issues.  But of course meanwhile, the reviews were terrible.
2021-8-28
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-28 23:15
I take your point.  

The problem these days is that the marketing people tend to overrule the development people.  So the development people might say, we are hoping the device will have these features, and we need a couple of months more to get it fully ready for release.  And the marketing people say, no, we will release it next week and announce all those features, and you can fix it later.  

When i purchased my Osmo mobile 3 it stated that on android you could save to SD card. This wasnt just in the advertise features it was in the official specs. Here we are how may years later and its still not supported.
2021-8-29
Use props
Tau Myx
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-26 18:01
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Pocket 2 is still available on our store website, therefore, we will continue to provide after-sales services and updates on the said unit base on our customer's suggestions and requests. However, as of the moment, we still don't have the information on when the new firmware for the DJI Pocket 2 is available. Kindly please subscribe to our official website for the latest news and events. Thank you for your understanding and support!

This is a disturbing reply.  I bought this two days ago and am seriously considering returning it.  I just did a long hyperlapse and the whole thing came out out of focus for no good reason I can see.   In another case, I was shooting through a screen, and focusing on the subject was impossible no matter what I did.  Nothing kills any pretext of quality like being unable to control focus.

This isn't complicated.  You have "Continuous" and "Single" autofocus, but no way to clearly see where "single" has ended up.  Just add Fixed Infinity, Fixed 12 ft, and Fixed Selfie, and you've covered most use cases.  Your reply here is marketing speak for "We aren't going to fix anything else ever."  My sad experience is that one should never assume that any flaw will ever be fixed with an update.
2021-8-29
Use props
TommyBento
lvl.3
United States

Tau Myx Posted at 8-29 08:52
This is a disturbing reply.  I bought this two days ago and am seriously considering returning it.  I just did a long hyperlapse and the whole thing came out out of focus for no good reason I can see.   In another case, I was shooting through a screen, and focusing on the subject was impossible no matter what I did.  Nothing kills any pretext of quality like being unable to control focus.

This isn't complicated.  You have "Continuous" and "Single" autofocus, but no way to clearly see where "single" has ended up.  Just add Fixed Infinity, Fixed 12 ft, and Fixed Selfie, and you've covered most use cases.  Your reply here is marketing speak for "We aren't going to fix anything else ever."  My sad experience is that one should never assume that any flaw will ever be fixed with an update.

Your question about the focus is easy. Point the camera in the direction of the subject, tap continuous focus then back to fixed and if will focus for the subject and not change, same for open areas where it needs to be infinity.
2021-8-29
Use props
Tau Myx
lvl.1
United States

TommyBento Posted at 8-29 22:39
Your question about the focus is easy. Point the camera in the direction of the subject, tap continuous focus then back to fixed and if will focus for the subject and not change, same for open areas where it needs to be infinity.

I tried that.  No matter where I clicked, it just saw the screen, and would not focus beyond it.  There was no place to click on that was free of the screen.  
2021-8-30
Use props
GregT.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 445971 ft
Netherlands

I abandoned it yesterday.I have lost all faith in DJI improving the Pocket 2.
Yet there are so many problems with the tracking that need to be resolved before wanting to buy another one.

Don't recommend this device.
2021-8-31
Use props
element33
lvl.2
Russia

djiuser_Ero3N6pHcBNG Posted at 8-31 11:00
REAL SPELL CASTER (LORD ODUME) THAT CAN HELP YOU GET YOUR LOVER BACK.CONTACT HIM VIA:  OR via his WhatsApp Number: +2349035123289 Hi everyone, Am Mrs. Anneliese Richard with so much joy in my heart I  feel grateful to Lord Odume for bringing joy back to my life again. I was lost in my own world when my husband left me after 7years of marriage with no explanation. I was in tears I had a plan to commit suicide just because I so much love my husband. His absence at home caused me pain, and I was all alone thinking all day. My colleagues at work kept asking and wondering what is wrong with me all the time, I kept hiding it from them, because I don’t want to discuss about my family issues, but there is this friend of mine, a colleague at work who came to me and asked me, what the problem is and she also vow to keep it as a secret as a friend so I told her what happened to me and my husband, so she told me how Lord Odume has helped her get her relationship together problem and asked her how sure are you with this? She told me 100% sure. So I contacted him on August 18th 2021 to explain my problem to him then he said to I shouldn’t be troubled as long as we follow the due procedures. After I did all he asked me to do he told me I will get him back in 24hrs. To my greatest surprise my husband came back home to apologies to me and my kids to accept him back. With no hesitation I accepted him back. I’ll forever be grateful to lord odume I'm so full of joy right now. If you have any problem you can contact Lord Odume. I believe Lord Odume Will have a solution to your problem you can contact him Here’s his contact:  Email: ,   WhatsApp: +2349035123289

Wiping first custom firmware less then one day instead doing some moderation on official forum.. well done dji.

BTW I want to believe lord Odume has a solution to a ton of bugs in p2 firmware.
2021-8-31
Use props
schma29
lvl.1
Germany

Hello Support

I have the Poket 2 with extension rod. The problem is that the joystick for panning only goes at full speed and can not be regulated as on the Poket 2 itself. I hope this will be fixed! Regards Matthias
2021-9-1
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

schma29 Posted at 9-1 22:45
Hello Support

I have the Poket 2 with extension rod. The problem is that the joystick for panning only goes at full speed and can not be regulated as on the Poket 2 itself. I hope this will be fixed! Regards Matthias

Hi, you would be better starting a new thread with your troubles, experience has taught me DJI mods very rarely revisit threads unless someone directly replies to one of there comments.
2021-9-1
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

There is already a thread for that anyway.
2021-9-2
Use props
djiuser_EXk5Y08NMvUS
lvl.1
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-2 00:10
There is already a thread for that anyway.

Can somebody show me where I can post a new question?
2021-9-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

djiuser_EXk5Y08NMvUS Posted at 9-3 05:55
Can somebody show me where I can post a new question?

After signing in, select your topic from the top of the page. Then, you can select the subsection of the topic from below the top row. After that, you should see a button on the top right corner saying "New Thread". Click on that to start a new topic.
2021-9-3
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Osmo Action hasn't had a firmware upgrade in ages either. Got our money and that's it.
2021-9-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I wouldn't certainly mind having firmware updates. My wishes would be webcam function support and the ability to power using an AC adapter and film at the same time. I can live with the state it currently is in, but these updates would be a big plus, and I can certainly see some people (especially those wishing to shoot mostly in 4K) being disappointed with the current state of tracking functions. While 1080p is enough for me, and the tracking seems to work OK with that setting, I do understand that people wishing to use tracking with 4K feel themselves mislead by DJI's advertising.
2021-9-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Officially they don't recommend running the camera while charging, but everybody does it...
2021-9-3
Use props
djiuser_iQCPZ4MmXS28
lvl.2
Germany

Regards the firmware, some of issues were already in the Pocket 1 (audio drop-outs when filming long videos). HDR was a bit of a mis-sell with the cropping etc. They added the LRF files, which I’m unaware of anyone wanting. Then their changes to the Mimo app are preventing me from exporting full-quality videos to my iOS photo library. I think many users would prefer ironing out the creases - reliability is better than new features. It’s not good to burn bridges with people who would otherwise upgrade or buy later models.
2021-9-4
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

schma29 Posted at 9-1 22:45
Hello Support

I have the Poket 2 with extension rod. The problem is that the joystick for panning only goes at full speed and can not be regulated as on the Poket 2 itself. I hope this will be fixed! Regards Matthias

It is very well possible to make slow movements with the joystick of the remote handle... you just need to operate it in a very slow and gentle way. I do use this all the time......

Try it and convince yourself you can do it too!

Take care,

Max
2021-9-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_iQCPZ4MmXS28 Posted at 9-4 01:26
Regards the firmware, some of issues were already in the Pocket 1 (audio drop-outs when filming long videos). HDR was a bit of a mis-sell with the cropping etc. They added the LRF files, which I’m unaware of anyone wanting. Then their changes to the Mimo app are preventing me from exporting full-quality videos to my iOS photo library. I think many users would prefer ironing out the creases - reliability is better than new features. It’s not good to burn bridges with people who would otherwise upgrade or buy later models.

The LRF files are intended to make it faster to see and edit recorded videos with the phone app.  Other companies eg Insta360 have a similar system.  It's the way the world is going....
2021-9-7
Use props
mygiguser
lvl.2
United States

Tau Myx Posted at 8-29 08:52
This is a disturbing reply.  I bought this two days ago and am seriously considering returning it.  I just did a long hyperlapse and the whole thing came out out of focus for no good reason I can see.   In another case, I was shooting through a screen, and focusing on the subject was impossible no matter what I did.  Nothing kills any pretext of quality like being unable to control focus.

This isn't complicated.  You have "Continuous" and "Single" autofocus, but no way to clearly see where "single" has ended up.  Just add Fixed Infinity, Fixed 12 ft, and Fixed Selfie, and you've covered most use cases.  Your reply here is marketing speak for "We aren't going to fix anything else ever."  My sad experience is that one should never assume that any flaw will ever be fixed with an update.

I just now had the same issue with my Pocket 1. Something has to be done. How do people use this, if i can't even focus right in a time-lapse?
2021-9-7
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-3 15:13
Officially they don't recommend running the camera while charging, but everybody does it...

The problem here is that doing so with the DIA handle connected causes the thing to overheat, which causes the wifi connection to a phone or tablet to shut down, disabling preview and remote control. That doesn't really work for my use scenario - for instance, if this would be possible without the issue, I could film a panel discussion by putting the camera on the table, directed towards the panelists and changing direction - filming each separately as they speak in turns - , and control the camera wirelessly from a distance without being in front of the audience and distracting them - all while the camera is plugged into AC power outlet, eliminating the need to worry about the battery running out in the middle of recording.

So there's at least one scenario where being able to accept direct AC power instead of recharging would come in handy.
2021-9-7
Use props
Tau Myx
lvl.1
United States

Can't charge and shoot at the same time?  That is a drag.  It doesn't really have to actually charge the battery in that case, just not-use it.  I wonder if a software update could make the device draw less power from USB, thus preventing the overheating?
2021-9-13
Use props
djiuser_bfis73HFVt9t
New

South Africa

#Quick Reply Here#I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Prof Remmy(+27660670249) brought back my husband that separated with me for good 3 months. AM NATALIE KEYMAN  from MEMPHIS,USA . i really ain't know what would be enough to thank Prof Remmy for his powerful helping hand in my life. My husband separated with me for 3 years hence being in pain & agony without him. I searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out not until I met Prof Remmy who I contacted online through his website (https://www.psychicremmy.com/). I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 48 hours. I believed in him and as he prepared a powerful love spell to bring back  my husband permanently. Thomas called me exactly within 48 hours as Prof Remmy had said initially before performing the rituals. He pleaded and said he needs me back and now we are living happily again for the past 9 months. Everyone out there reading my article that needs help should contact him... Email: psychicremmy@gmail.com .
2021-9-23
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Sweden

djiuser_bfis73HFVt9t Posted at 9-23 04:08
#Quick Reply Here#I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Prof Remmy(+27660670249) brought back my husband that separated with me for good 3 months. AM NATALIE KEYMAN  from MEMPHIS,USA . i really ain't know what would be enough to thank Prof Remmy for his powerful helping hand in my life. My husband separated with me for 3 years hence being in pain & agony without him. I searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out not until I met Prof Remmy who I contacted online through his website (https://www.psychicremmy.com/). I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 48 hours. I believed in him and as he prepared a powerful love spell to bring back  my husband permanently. Thomas called me exactly within 48 hours as Prof Remmy had said initially before performing the rituals. He pleaded and said he needs me back and now we are living happily again for the past 9 months. Everyone out there reading my article that needs help should contact him... Email:  .

What a hell is this post here? Any moderator there?
2021-9-23
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Coris Posted at 9-23 06:26
What a hell is this post here?  Any moderator there?

Yes, these spammers are very annoying here. Unfortunately, it is a common problem here.

There are a couple of ways to inform the moderators about these spam messages. One is to click the "Report" link at the lower right corner of the message window. There you can select the proper reason for reporting and additionally write more information about the message, then send the report.

Also, in the "Service" section of the forums, there is a undersection of "Forum Issues". There you can start a new thread and inform the moderators about the spam message or account.

I hope these annoyances will be solved later on. In the meantime, we just need to report them and wish the mods will do their best.
2021-9-23
Use props
djiuser_v8lkJ9UDY4DJ
New

United States

I've spent several hours trying to activate this stupid device through the mimi app.  I've tried every suggestion.  Nothing.  I think I will just throw this thing in the garbage where it belongs.  The 350 can serve as a lesson to NEVER buy a DJI device again, and never trust anyone who publishes positive videos about their useless products.
2021-12-30
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

djiuser_v8lkJ9UDY4DJ Posted at 2021-12-30 21:45
I've spent several hours trying to activate this stupid device through the mimi app.  I've tried every suggestion.  Nothing.  I think I will just throw this thing in the garbage where it belongs.  The 350 can serve as a lesson to NEVER buy a DJI device again, and never trust anyone who publishes positive videos about their useless products.

Sorry to hear about your problems with activating the Pocket 2, you are certainly not the only one with the issue and it was a huge pain for me too.

I have threads that contain troubleshooting tips and lists of tested compatible and non-compatible phones and tablets, including those not officially mentioned by DJI. You can see the threads at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190 (for phones) and https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237518 (for tablets). Have you possibly checked those?

Also, what device are you trying for activation? What OS version? What version of Mimo?

Hope these help.
2022-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules