5 days with the mini2 and one flaw (IMO)
2619 39 2021-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

I own the mini2 now for 5 days and I simply love it.
Yep obstacle avoidance would be nice and a follow me mode would be expected somehow, for my friends with other DJI drones can ski down a mountain and have their drone following them. But hey.... my current girlfriend does not ski (chickens out) and to use that just to record myself in my convertible or oldtimer or Vespa... well... to be honest... I can do without that.

The thing really exceeds my expectations. Of course I bought it for the flytime, the quality that DJI offeres (I also have a ronin sc, that is great!) and the name it has in the drone market anyway.
Today I experimented with the quick shot features and OMG! it is as easy as "easy peasy lemon squeezy" but than easier. even in quite heavy wind, it performed like a champ today.

So.....

Nothing but good news.

Is that true? DJI admins.... NO.
because, really, everytime I draw footage from the drone I get sort off annoyed.
To enter the quic transfer mode, the drone must be switched on first. Well perhaps that does not really sound like an issue, but picture this....

You have been out shooting footage and you have been enjoying yourselfs.... you put away your appreciated drone, that you have even named, protecting the gimbal with its cover, protecting the propellers with the fantastic strap that comes with the fly more combo.... No worries there, everything is stored nicely and snug.
You come home and want to retrieve the footage from your drone. Ya press the quick transfer button for ages, but no response.
You need to activate your lovely drone first....

Ehh.... this really means (if you don't like gimbal errors and stuff, that I don't) you need to get rid of the gimbal protection, unleash the propellor protection and switch it on the little hero before you can go ahead and enter quick transfer mode (that is really seriously good, I reach 24mb/sec). Why isn't it possible to reach that mode directly by longpressing the button when it is off?
To my opinion it would be the best software mod you could implement for this drone, since it would spare users a whole lot of hassle.

And I think it wouldn't be much of an effort to implement, perhaps.

Just an intense thought, DJI.

love your products (and service)!

Han

2021-8-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

No need to remove gimbal cover or deploy arms. Just remove the prop keeper and turn it on then Quick Transfer. Or remove the card and transfer to your PC.
2021-8-28
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's why you should transfer before turning it off.  The hassle w/ the other DJI drones is you have to remove the microSD to transfer fast otherwise it takes way too long for anything other than a lot of JPGs.  It would definitely be cool to activate microSD w/o turning anything on but I assume due to licensing (patents) or other things that could possibly go wrong if that malfunctions (drone crash) makes it not exist.  Just exist the microSD then transfer to a main computer then from that computer transfer to phone.  Tedious way but it's the proper way.  Don't expect the other drones to transfer quicker, P4PV2, M2.  Haven't tried the Air 2S but transfer rates have been going up like they are with GoPro.

I should use the transfer function while it's in the air more often.  I just come home, load up Lightroom, edit, then upload or not.  I hardly upload anything unless it's for  commercial purposes.
2021-8-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-28 12:53
No need to remove gimbal cover or deploy arms. Just remove the prop keeper and turn it on then Quick Transfer. Or remove the card and transfer to your PC.

But you can burn out the gimbal motors if you don't remove it, not sure about the arms either as
the motors do the checks too and if they are snug in the prop protector there will be some resistance
2021-8-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whilst it is a little inconvenient, it does not take an age to unfold it and remove the gimbal cover...
You could buy what I did and do away with QT unless absolutely necessary.
Unless of course, you're APPLE then you will have to look for sommat similar

2021-8-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-28 17:21
But you can burn out the gimbal motors if you don't remove it, not sure about the arms either as
the motors do the checks too and if they are snug in the prop protector there will be some resistance

Sorry, you might be right about the gimbal cover. I do remove them both but leave the arms folded. I also do most transfers before shutting down after the flight. But still the very best way is to remove the micro sd card and transfer straight to PC.
2021-8-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-28 19:05
Sorry, you might be right about the gimbal cover. I do remove them both but leave the arms folded. I also do most transfers before shutting down after the flight. But still the very best way is to remove the micro sd card and transfer straight to PC.

Im not sure if there would be any effect on the prop motors as it is only a slight movement.
Spose if it's on a smooth surface they may be ok.

I can't believe someone downvoted what could only be good advice re gimbal cover though. Prob my mate, Durex lol
2021-8-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, Hannibal. Thank you for reaching out. We really appreciate your kind words about our product. With regards to the said feature, I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support!
2021-8-28
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

I dont go through any of this.  Just whip out the SD card and stick it in my reader… is not easier?
2021-8-28
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-28 20:52
Hi there, Hannibal. Thank you for reaching out. We really appreciate your kind words about our product. With regards to the said feature, I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support!

Thanks!
For me as Apple / iPhone/iPad user it would be useful.

Thanks all others for the suggestions too of course. I understand that when you take your laptop with you on holiday (or drone trips) it may be different. Also when you take your iPad with you while droning, you can indeed do the transfer directly.

But I like to travel as light as possible and transfer to the iPad when I am back.
Hence the remark
2021-8-28
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

How hard can it be to activate the Fast Transfer only (not gimbal self-test nor propeller actions) so you can leave the drone gimbal and propellers protected white transferring files?
Not hard at all. I call it Lazy Programming, DJI. Fix it, no excuses now!
2021-8-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 8-29 02:17
How hard can it be to activate the Fast Transfer only (not gimbal self-test nor propeller actions) so you can leave the drone gimbal and propellers protected white transferring files?
Not hard at all. I call it Lazy Programming, DJI. Fix it, no excuses now!

If someone spoke to me like that wanting a dent fixed, I would tell them to do one, do you seriously think that someone with your attitude would be listened to? I don't and I certainly wouldn't.
Behave will ya, ya do yourself no favours and you've pretty much alienated yourself from other members.
I reckon you're here just for the windup...
2021-8-29
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Bashy Posted at 8-29 04:18
If someone spoke to me like that wanting a dent fixed, I would tell them to do one, do you seriously think that someone with your attitude would be listened to? I don't and I certainly wouldn't.
Behave will ya, ya do yourself no favours and you've pretty much alienated yourself from other members.

Of course you act like that! You're employed or associated with DJI! You get payed from them. How else can you react? Thus I understand your hostile attitude!
2021-8-29
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

Johnny_J Posted at 8-29 04:39
Of course you act like that! You're employed or associated with DJI! You get payed from them. How else can you react? Thus I understand your hostile attitude!

I watch all your messages, I see that you are constantly writing useless things
please take your bird from the keyboard and take a walk outside the house, you will feel better
2021-8-29
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

George GR Posted at 8-29 04:48
I watch all your messages, I see that you are constantly writing useless things
please take your bird from the keyboard and take a walk outside the house, you will feel better

"I watch all your messages, I see that you are constantly writing useless things"

Wow, yet another useless liar! You will get likes for that false comment from your friends!
I write some useful hints to members here, Those you refuse to accept.
You and your associate bashy can try all you want to be mean, the more you try, the more you get likes!

Happy meaning!
2021-8-29
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

Bashy Posted at 8-29 04:18
If someone spoke to me like that wanting a dent fixed, I would tell them to do one, do you seriously think that someone with your attitude would be listened to? I don't and I certainly wouldn't.

do not bother with Johnny_J just despise him!
2021-8-29
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

George GR Posted at 8-29 05:00
do not bother with Johnny_J just despise him!

George GR said: Yes, please do not bother with me. I like to be mean to others. Please disregard everyone who says anything negative about me!
2021-8-29
Use props
TJEsparza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51142 ft
United States

No need to remove gimbal cover or deploy arms. Just remove the prop keeper and turn it on then Quick Transfer. Or remove the card and transfer to your PC.

I always perform the "remove the card and transfer to pc"!
2021-8-29
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

TJEsparza Posted at 8-29 05:06

That is the safest if you don't remove the gimbal cover before turning on everything in the drone in order to do a simple file transfer.
When the drone starts its self test the gimbal must be free to move in order to start the file transfer ...
2021-8-29
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

When the drone starts its self test the gimbal must be free to move in order to start the file transfer , n'est pas?
2021-8-29
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41191 ft

Germany

TJEsparza Posted at 8-29 05:06

Right! .. that's the easiest way, that's how I do it, I take the micro SD card out,
into an adapter and insert it into the iMac, watch the videos and
edit them there if necessary.
2021-8-29
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31263 ft
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-28 23:48
Thanks!

Apple user here, was very keen on the Quick Transfer option but after a while I realised that getting the Apple SD Card adapter was a much better option.  I can rapidly import the captured footage to my phone and it'll automatically sync to all my other apple devices. Better still, it fits in your pocket and doesn't require the drone to have any power.
2021-8-29
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

By the time you typed out your OP, you could have popped the card out of the drone and transferred everything across. :-D
2021-8-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 8-29 04:39

Allow me to substitute my reality for yours, I am not and do not need to be employed by anyone, let alone, DJI, but then thats your "catch-all" isnt it, someone who calls you out and you say they work for DJI, do you think it's hurtful or something? lol btw, im not even sure if DJI even has a shop in the UK

Vote away, no skin off my back.
This will be my last conversation with you, just gonna ignore you from now on, just so bored
2021-8-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Remove the SD card it perserves the EXIF in the photos much better and will allow you to access raw photos which can have better quality.   You can get SD adapters for the iPad if you are travelling.
2021-8-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-28 23:48
Thanks!

Thank you for your response. Will surely take this one. Take care always!
2021-8-30
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Bashy Posted at 8-29 17:36
Allow me to substitute my reality for yours, I am not and do not need to be employed by anyone, let alone, DJI, but then thats your "catch-all" isnt it, someone who calls you out and you say they work for DJI, do you think it's hurtful or something? lol btw, im not even sure if DJI even has a shop in the UK

Vote away, no skin off my back.

I'm happy you enjoyed writing that post. You seem quite amused, in fact! Fly safe!
2021-8-31
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Eventually the card gets popped out and read on my pc.
For archiving/editing..

But on the go I like to evaluate the footage on the pad and I really don’t like to carry all kind of adapters with me.

We all seem to have our own methods.

I still think it will have added value to activate QT without unfolding the drone. For me that is.

Thanks all
2021-9-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-2 07:57
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Eventually the card gets popped out and read on my pc.

Do the QT as soon as you land the drone. You can fold it up without the camera or prop covers. I do this most times.
2021-9-2
Use props
Drones250
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190791 ft
  • >>>
Spain

You should always remove the gimbal protector when powering on the drone. I had 27GB of raw footage and even though QT was doing at about 15MB per sec, it was still slow. Simply removing the card and transferring directly in computer was much faster (around 70mb sec). The only thing I do in terms of transfer is QuickShots as they need to be done with the app.
2021-9-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess if you have the time, Fast Transfer is the best plan. After all, repeatedly exercising the tiny SD card socket can't be good in the long run, even though that has always been my choice.

Johnny_J: Grow a thicker skin. You need one.
Bashy: Try a little to not live up to that name ;-)

2021-9-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 9-4 19:21
I guess if you have the time, Fast Transfer is the best plan. After all, repeatedly exercising the tiny SD card socket can't be good in the long run, even though that has always been my choice.

Johnny_J: Grow a thicker skin. You need one.

Bashy: Try a little to not live up to that name ;-)

ok, ya gonna have to give me a little more than just that?
2021-9-4
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

Get an SD Card reader for crying out loud!  A small dongle for your device isn't that much extra to carry.  There is literally no way to do a QT without power.  Just like a USB Stick requires power, same idea.  Having QT is a feature, not a necessity
2021-9-5
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Mhinc Posted at 9-5 00:42
Get an SD Card reader for crying out loud!  A small dongle for your device isn't that much extra to carry.  There is literally no way to do a QT without power.  Just like a USB Stick requires power, same idea.  Having QT is a feature, not a necessity

?

I think I explained that the card is going to be read at home eventually.
And on the move I use my iPad preferably without stuff around it.

Furthermore it was a simple suggestion just to make things more comfortable for some users in my opinion.
Bashy is also right, handling those small cards… in the field, it is bound to get lost in my case, lol

For me the threat may be closed. We are repeating ourselves and others.

2021-9-5
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-5 00:53
?

I think I explained that the card is going to be read at home eventually.

I just don't get what kind of method you would expect DJI to implement in order to provide you the option to QT without the drone being power on?  You are giving a very unrealistic "fault" and recommendation here. Exactly how do you suggest they implement this change?
2021-9-5
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Mhinc Posted at 9-5 03:11
I just don't get what kind of method you would expect DJI to implement in order to provide you the option to QT without the drone being power on?  You are giving a very unrealistic "fault" and recommendation here. Exactly how do you suggest they implement this change?

No offense…
Let’s leave it at developers.

To me it looks like when you get into QT mode, the drone itself shuts down anyway.
It looks like a completely separate mode.

I think you may not use it much, given your direct reaction…
Try it, look at it, perhaps you understand my point.

It it cannot be implemented because of power issues or so, no sweat.
I easily accept that, perhaps the headline was a tat firm in that sense.

Let’s not get into unfounded discussions, for me it would add value (quite some), I understand very well that for you and a number of others, who have different working methods, it is farfetched.
Can someone close this topic, for it is heading in directions that were never intended
2021-9-5
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-5 09:48
No offense…
Let’s leave it at developers.

When you make a post like this, you should expect a discussion.  That's the point of a forum.  Not to just make a statement or suggestion and then not expect people to question you or make comments, etc.
2021-9-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I see a few are set against Quick Transfer, to be fair, there will be times for some, where a Quick Transfer would be the only option and for many a reason.

It is  a bit of a pain having to unfold and remove, but with hindsight, if out in the field, perhaps do the Quick Transfer before you put it away, but then that would only work if a) you have enough power left in that battery or b) you have a spare battery, that's not gonna be the case for both of those perhaps a lot of the time.
2021-9-7
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Mhinc Posted at 9-7 20:40
When you make a post like this, you should expect a discussion.  That's the point of a forum.  Not to just make a statement or suggestion and then not expect people to question you or make comments, etc.

Well we have different opinions on that too.
I am not here for discussions, but for tips and to exchange idea's.

I don't see the point in discussing for the sake of discussions. The tips given by others (and you) were good tips, perhaps also for other users. A number of them are not my thing, but hey, that should be obvious by now.

I like input and to learn from others but at this stage in the topic, everything is really said on possibilities and we are repeating ways to do it.
That was why I would like to close this topic, not because I dont like fresh ideas.
So far it is considered valuable input and feedback.
Of course if there is a new working method, please!

But "buy a cardreader for crying out loud!" does not seem to be a constructive contribution to me.
It is more an order or something. Like you inforce workmethods on others. And it was stated as a possibility quite some times now.

In this case the remark I made was really a suggestion for DJI (and picked up, thanks).
I changed the header, for given the tips of other users, it is not a big thing for others.
As you mentioned that "fault" was a big word for this, I have stated it less severe in the headline.
That was good feedback, thanks.

For me this is all I am going to contribute in this topic, my topic, unless there are new ideas
2021-9-7
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-7 23:07
Well we have different opinions on that too.
I am not here for discussions, but for tips and to exchange idea's.

Fair enough
2021-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules