DJI Mini 2 Payload mode in Advanced Safety Settings?
9944 27 2021-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mini 2 Payload mode in Advanced Safety Settings?  Anyone test on the Mini 2?
Screenshot_20210830-010600.jpg
2021-8-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AntDX316. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 2 can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that in Advanced Settings : It includes Emergency Propeller Stop and Payload mode. " Emergency Only " indicates that the motors can only be stopped mid-flight in an emergency situation such as if there is a collision, a motor has stalled, the said DJI drone is rolling in the air, or the drone is out of control and is ascending or descending very quickly. " Anytime " indicates that the motor can be stopped mid-flight anytime once the user performs a combination stick command ( CSC ). Stopping the motor mid-flight will cause the drone to crash. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-8-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

When my youngest grandson flies my Mini 2 I put on prop guards and enable payload mode.  Works great for him.
2021-8-30
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-29 22:23
Hello there AntDX316. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 2 can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that in Advanced Settings : It includes Emergency Propeller Stop and Payload mode. " Emergency Only " indicates that the motors can only be stopped mid-flight in an emergency situation such as if there is a collision, a motor has stalled, the said DJI drone is rolling in the air, or the drone is out of control and is ascending or descending very quickly. " Anytime " indicates that the motor can be stopped mid-flight anytime once the user performs a combination stick command ( CSC ). Stopping the motor mid-flight will cause the drone to crash. Thank you and fly safe always.

Actually, cutting the motors does not mean a crash.  "could cause"

It can also be used to descend rapidly, with high risk of course.

2021-8-30
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

payload mode is useful too if you're using any attachments, I use it when I put skis on my mini2 for taking off in rough terrain.
2021-8-30
Use props
Spudster17
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199810 ft
United States

Payload mode will automatically be activated if it senses a payload. You can turn it off while in flight using the setting you are showing.
2021-8-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

No one has properly explained what Payload mode does.  Does it fly like its in tripod mode?
2021-8-30
Use props
Steve043
lvl.1
Flight distance : 173907 ft
United States

My mini 2 changes the distance and height.  Settings. Uses alot of the battery.    Safe flying everyone
2022-4-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Germany

From the manual

After takeoff, Payload mode is enabled automatically if a payload is detected. The flight
performance will be reduced accordingly when flying with any payload. Note that the max service ceiling above sea
level is 2,000 m and the max flight speed and flight range are limited when Payload mode is enabled
2022-4-7
Use props
ScoutC03
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152644 ft
Finland

hunterws Posted at 2021-8-30 06:57

Have wanted to do that from day 1..
2022-4-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Of course, it does, ''could'' being the operative word here, had they said ''would', now that would have been incorrect
2022-4-7
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I have tried it on Mini2 about 2m up from grass, and it just went to the side, but the motors did not stop?
Thank you for making a video of what happens, and sharing it.
2022-4-7
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

hunterws Posted at 2021-8-30 07:01
payload mode is useful too if you're using any attachments, I use it when I put skis on my mini2 for taking off in rough terrain.

Have seen some injuries when I used to fly helicopters, so I use the Propeller guards all the time.  Yes, it does shorten flight time.  I DO NOT suggest that everyone use the guards, I do believe that each makes their choice.
2022-4-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 4-7 08:43
Have seen some injuries when I used to fly helicopters, so I use the Propeller guards all the time.  Yes, it does shorten flight time.  I DO NOT suggest that everyone use the guards, I do believe that each makes their choice.

Bob, the Mini 2 is unlikely to cause more than a scratch, for 1, the props close in on themselves and 2, the motors stop on any reasonable obstruction to them, what im saying is, unless you're flying inside only then you're missing out on what the Mini 2 can give. If you're that concerned then leave a 30 - 50m separation from people and enjoy what you have. There is no comparison of the destructiveness of a model chopper and a Mini 2, go have fun, shake off those nerves
Doing the CSC shouldn't send it to the side unless you didn't center/down the sticks 100%. if you did the CSC correctly, then the other thing is that you may not have been high enough, try again and 10m ;) (at your own risk lol)
2022-4-7
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-7 18:12
Bob, the Mini 2 is unlikely to cause more than a scratch, for 1, the props close in on themselves and 2, the motors stop on any reasonable obstruction to them, what im saying is, unless you're flying inside only then you're missing out on what the Mini 2 can give. If you're that concerned then leave a 30 - 50m separation from people and enjoy what you have. There is no comparison of the destructiveness of a model chopper and a Mini 2, go have fun, shake off those nerves
Doing the CSC shouldn't send it to the side unless you didn't center/down the sticks 100%. if you did the CSC correctly, then the other thing is that you may not have been high enough, try again and 10m ;) (at your own risk lol)

Thanks for the reply, Bashy, in that video when he did the sticks down, that craft did go towards the lower right, and that is how mine did, but his motors stopped, mine did not.  I do appreciate your point of view about getting all the enjoyment out of flying, even WITH the blade guards, I enjoy it a lot, when I get time to do it.  I can not say anything about the propellers YOU use, but the ones I use - from Dji- the trailing edge is sharp.  I may just go back to wearing a crash helmet and take off the guards.
2022-4-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 4-8 09:44
Thanks for the reply, Bashy, in that video when he did the sticks down, that craft did go towards the lower right, and that is how mine did, but his motors stopped, mine did not.  I do appreciate your point of view about getting all the enjoyment out of flying, even WITH the blade guards, I enjoy it a lot, when I get time to do it.  I can not say anything about the propellers YOU use, but the ones I use - from Dji- the trailing edge is sharp.  I may just go back to wearing a crash helmet and take off the guards.

When you compare the Mini 2 props to the likes of the larger Mavics and then theres the Phantom props, its like claws and straw with the latter, dont get me wrong, the Mini 2 props will certainly scratch and draw a little blood whereas the Phantom props will take a blooming finger off. The Mini 2 props fold in on contact and will shut down the motors seconds later, probably split seconds,  

You should try a larger open space and just keep it away from you, the more you play, the more confident you will become, seems a shame to be not able to use its full potential, youre missing out on a lot
2022-4-8
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 4-8 09:44

Did you notice the setting in the app, allowing you to select if moving the sticks inward and down cuts the motor power always or just in emergencies ?
2022-4-9
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Regarding propeller protectors - a 3D printed variant: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4073776
Scroll a bit through the pictures, far to the right: You'll find a set of propeller guards for 3D printing which works quite well.
I did not create them, I don't know if others are better - but these are the ones I printed and found working pretty well for the Mini 2.
Needs some careful "post-processing" after printing to make sure ALL excess material inside the connectors gets removed, otherwise they won't fit.
Printing with PLA takes about 2 hours for all four, adds about 23 g of weight to your drone.
2022-4-9
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Bashy:  I know what you meen, had many hours of the helicopters, one was four feet long, and a LOT of fun, but decided to try the Mavic Platinum Pro
and really liked it, especially the way it hovered, so sold all the choppers.  After a while I decided that the drone was kindy big for what I wanted to do,
so . . . traded it in on the Mini2, got took on the amount they gave me, but that's past, and I got the better of the deal because, the Mini2 is THE ONE for
me, it does everything I want it to do - I doubt if I could be happier.

Landey:  I saw the positioning of the sticks in the Manual, maybe the Smart Controller as well, have to check.
             Think it was ONLY Emergency.

Wish they would make up a manual for Mini2 with Smart Controller, sure would help.

2022-4-10
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 4-10 17:55
Bashy:  I know what you meen, had many hours of the helicopters, one was four feet long, and a LOT of fun, but decided to try the Mavic Platinum Pro
and really liked it, especially the way it hovered, so sold all the choppers.  After a while I decided that the drone was kindy big for what I wanted to do,
so . . . traded it in on the Mini2, got took on the amount they gave me, but that's past, and I got the better of the deal because, the Mini2 is THE ONE for

If it's set for emergencies only, the drone won't cut it's motor power if you move the sticks inward and down in regular flight, only in case of crashes or the drone being upside down.
So I guess that's the reason why it didn't work.
2022-4-10
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Landey Posted at 4-10 22:53
If it's set for emergencies only, the drone won't cut it's motor power if you move the sticks inward and down in regular flight, only in case of crashes or the drone being upside down.
So I guess that's the reason why it didn't work.

OKAY . . . thank you so much for enlightening me on that - very helpful.
2022-4-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its not how I read it...

From the manual

The motors should only be stopped mid-flight in an emergency situation such as if a collision has
occurred or if the aircraft is out of control and is ascending or descending very quickly, rolling in
the air, or if a motor has stalled. To stop the motors mid-flight, use the same CSC that was used
to start the motors. The default setting can be changed in DJI Fly

To me, that reads as saying you should only perform the command in case of emergencies and they give you examples of such, i.e. collision, is out of control, ascending or descending very quickly etc...

Yes, i removed the "and",  I dont think it should be an "and"

From the  Fly app manual

Make advance settings such as enabling the Emergency Propeller Stop, which allows the users to stop the aircraft propellers directly in the event of an emergency.

I believe that their "directly" means "instantly"

Having never used the command in the air, i cannot say exactly how it would work, mine is set to anytime and it's never happened accidentally because I have never put the sticks in that position during flight, its not a natural position so you would have to be seriously messing about to hit the CSC during normal usage. Or unless such as yourself, Bob, cutting the engines for a specific reason.

To me and i could be way off here, but i always thought Emergency Only and Anytime are the same thing, the only difference being the time it takes for the drone to take action e.g.
If set to Emergency Only - the motors shut down instantly.
If set to Anytime - there will be a few seconds (2 i think) pause then the motors shutdown.

So, in summary, you should be able to cut the motors regardless no matter what the setting is whilst in the air, one just takes longer than the other.

Could someone confirm or not, please? I dont want to give out incorrect information.
2022-4-12
Use props
EnjoyFlying
lvl.3
United States

Does the payload-on would also change how mini2 controls its flying behavior, or it only imposes the limit on height and range?  I tried flying my mini2 with an insta360 cam mounted on top, and it is stable at the take-off, but then it tends to keep climbing up slowly on its own, so i tried to land it immediately and it took longer to get it come down too.  Is that because I had the payload off?

i was doing exactly like this guy, but he didn't seem to the climbing issue and so did others who have tried attaching different things?  Is there a setting i missed?

https://youtu.be/dguByQEEs1U

2022-10-19
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192825 ft
Philippines

If you perform emergency stop and the motors actually stop on air, can you still restart them while the aircraft is descending mid air?
2023-6-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hesveymartin Posted at 6-23 22:34
If you perform emergency stop and the motors actually stop on air, can you still restart them while the aircraft is descending mid air?

In order to stop the motors of a FLY App using drone in mid air you will have to change the "emergency motor stop " option from "emergency only" to "Anytime" or words to those effects.

If the option is left at the default, "emergency only", the drone will ONLY allow its motors to be stopped in mid-air if the drone itself thinks it has suffered some sort of emergency. If the drone does not think there has been an emergency then the CSC position will cause a controlled, powered descent, in a helix.
I have tested this. As soon as the sticks are released the drone will hover, I brought my drone down low enough for the VPS system to slow the drone's descent.

If you switch the "emergency only " response to "Anytime"  then the drone will stop its motors once the CSC has been held for 1.3 or 1.7seconds.

IMO neither setting is ideal but the "Anytime" option simply has too short a trigger/delay period to be safe for routine flying.
Drones have been lost because the pilot had changed the setting and either forgotten that and or, inadvertently moved the sticks into the CSC position, or deliberately moved the sticks to the CSC position.

As for restarting the motors, in theory it is possible but it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that the motor stopping CSC be released and the sticks allowed to centre themselves. If the motor stopping CSC is held continuously the drone will, correctly, think it is still seeing the motor stopping CSC.
Once the sticks have been released and centerd then apply a SECOND csc and hold it until motor start or impact ...... and pray.

The BIG RISK is that the drone will only restart its motors if the drone's pitch and roll angles are within acceptable limits.
If the drone tumbles then, for quite a lot of the time, the drone's tilt may be outside "acceptable limits" and, whilst there, the motors will not restart. You have to hope that the drone will pass through the "acceptable limits" window whilst it is tumbling and that the drone will react quickly enough to restart the motors. It will, at a guess, be immediately apparent if the motors restart. If they do restart then immediately release the sticks and be prepared to give the drone full throttle to halt the fall.
I have done a mid-air motor stop and restart with a P3 but the P3 motors restarted at idle, it took me a second or so to realise what was happening and give it full throttle. I came pretty close to losing the drone into the sea.

Things to note I can not guarantee, either way, whether or not the mini 2 will, or will not, tumble.

In hindsight, the P3 perhaps has an advantage, its props are high up on the drone and the center of drag is most likely above the drone's centre of gravity. If corect that combination would act to keep the drone more or less upright.
I DO NOT know if the same can be said of the Mini 2.
If you are actually contemplating this ( I wouldn't try it with a good mini or mini 2 but I may try it with a scrapper ) then I strongly suggest you switch the drone's flight mode to cine/tripod mode. That will, l think, limit the tilt angles the drone reaches before the motors stop and might reduce the chance of the drone tumbling.

Videos you might find interesting

At least one reason the attempt of the third video failed is that the pilot DID NOT, despite being told it was necessary, release the motor stopping CSC. In a thread on Mavicpilots the pilot asked about doing this before trying it, he was told he MUST release the motor stopping CSC. You can see the consequences of his either forgetting or ignoring the instruction.
2023-6-24
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192825 ft
Philippines

Thank you for providing such an informative response. I will make sure to watch the video later, once I finish work. Speaking of tumbling down, it seems that the mini 2 could be prone to it, given that the hind motor is positioned lower than its body, almost touching the ground before takeoff. In any case, let's hope and pray that we never encounter a situation where we have to resort to the emergency stop CSC for our drones! Your story about your P3 almost diving into the sea is truly frightening!
2023-6-24
Use props
djiuser_YbPqsy8Azzlw
New

United States

Bashy Posted at 2022-4-7 18:12
Bob, the Mini 2 is unlikely to cause more than a scratch, for 1, the props close in on themselves and 2, the motors stop on any reasonable obstruction to them, what im saying is, unless you're flying inside only then you're missing out on what the Mini 2 can give. If you're that concerned then leave a 30 - 50m separation from people and enjoy what you have. There is no comparison of the destructiveness of a model chopper and a Mini 2, go have fun, shake off those nerves

Hi.
The Dji mini2 can in fact cause more than a scratch.
It can cause a deep scratch.   Don't ask how this happened.
2-13 18:20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_YbPqsy8Azzlw Posted at 2-13 18:20
Hi.
The Dji mini2 can in fact cause more than a scratch.
It can cause a deep scratch.   Don't ask how this happened.

I had to go find the post and see what you are on about as it was that long ago...

Youre missing the context, i actually said it can scratch and draw blood but this was said in comparison to the likes of the P4P that would take a finger off which was slightly tongue-in-cheek but not too far off reality.
2-13 18:53
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules