Rc disconnects at short range
752 11 2021-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yagami_aircraft
lvl.1
Flight distance : 286624 ft
Switzerland

I have newly bought a DJI mini 2 drone, and I experience low signal on RC within 400 meters. Firstly I thought, maybe the small buildings are giving some interferences, but in one of these flights, I completely lost signal. No camera feed on the phone. And as you can see in the map, it is pretty much clear ground between me and the drone. I also was facing the controller Antennas towards the drone.

I was able to retrieve the drone via RTH, but this was scary. I did not hae any video feed for at least 2 minutes

log

log
2021-9-1
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 506073 ft
United States

Definitely scary! Glad you got it back though. Did it RTH on it's own?
2021-9-1
Use props
Yagami_aircraft
lvl.1
Switzerland

yes RTH triggered itself I guess, I too pressed the RTH buttons, I dunno which one worked, lol !
2021-9-1
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

share the file DJI Flight Record
2021-9-1
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Were your antenna extended and pointed properly (at aircraft)?
Any warnings?
Look around for homes with large communication towers (ham radio), are there any?
What version of fly app are you using?  Is the aircraft firmware up-to-date?

After we know all that, and have the flight log as requested above, then we'll be able to dig in and help.
2021-9-1
Use props
Yagami_aircraft
lvl.1
Switzerland

@George Here is the flight record.

https://app.airdata.com/flight/17cb9533ae7e5bd77c97b7e60c7b1aa1

and to answer your questions @hunterws
yes my antennas were pointed straight to the drone; also I know this area very well (because I live here)
and my app is up to date ver 1.4.8
I did not get any warning messages, i was doing a quickshot, and observed, my "tracking green box" didn't stay in the center rather drifted to the extreme left of the camera view (no wind warnings, it anyway wasn't too windy or something)
while I observing this, I abruptly lost signal within a minute or so.
and in my knowledge this should be the most serene location in terms of communication tower interferences (outskirts of Zurich, Switzerland)
2021-9-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is just the one very important question to ask. What model and make mobile device are you using with the controller?

2021-9-1
Use props
Yagami_aircraft
lvl.1
Switzerland

@Gary I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.7.1
2021-9-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yagami_aircraft Posted at 9-1 14:05
@Gary I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.7.1

Seems to be approved. Maybe some local "outlaw" WiFi signal source. I know there is one house in my area that causes disconnects almost every time I fly a drone over it. I assume they are using an illegal high-power WiFi device.
2021-9-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Towards the end of the quickshot is where it lost is, RTH kicked in on its own, there must be sommat around those houses giving off some crazy interference, fly there again and see if it does it again, in future, trust auto RTH will do this, don't press the remotes RTH cause you could inadvertently cancel the RTH, been done before. Also, use the attitude indicator in the bottom left to know where you're pointing the controller in  reference to where the AC is,  granted, you're only about 300m but with those houses and you only at about 50m in height, and CE mode, that mix is probably what caused the signal loss.
2021-9-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Yagami_aircraft. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please fly your DJI Mini 2  to a different location to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference from the area. That might be the reason why you are experiencing these issues. In addition, I will post a diagram on how to get optimal transmission for your DJI Mini 2. Thank you.

2021-9-1
Use props
Drones250
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190791 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Before disconnecting you should have seen warnings. I experienced first disconnect during my second flight. Not the best feeling. After landing the drone, I looked carefully around the place and I noticed cell phone tower with antennas. When there is a high level of interference, disconnect is practically guaranteed.
2021-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules