Tracking moving targets as a single operator?
2801 9 2014-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brashquido
New
Australia

Hi All,

I'm a hobbyist videographer and have been wanting to get into quads for some time now, just waiting on the right one to be produced that is anywhere near what I can afford.  I think the Inspire 1 is the first that is capable to deliver the production quality I'd be looking for.

Most of the video I would be shooting will be single operator. Just wondering if there is any way of having the camera automatically track a moving target at all?

2014-11-26
Use props
darickyeo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4108688 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi,

I would love to know too if the INSPIRE camera has this feature - to track a subject.

My local dealer is giving a bit of conflicting information.    Is there a function to auto track a subject?

Thanks for any clarifications.

2014-12-5
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

Try looking up AIRDOG
2014-12-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

darickyeo@gmail Posted at 2014-12-5 19:40
Hi,

I would love to know too if the INSPIRE camera has this feature - to track a subject.

The Inspire does not have this feature.  
2014-12-5
Use props
sloras1
lvl.1

United States

Although not able to track a moving subject (say, with a homing device on their wrist), the Inspire does have what is called Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) which will fix the front of the unit (and therefore the camera if facing forward) to a set course, the home point, or a point of interest.  This might accomplish what you after.
2015-3-11
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

sloras1@austin. Posted at 2015-3-12 03:46
Although not able to track a moving subject (say, with a homing device on their wrist), the Inspire  ...

@sloras1 did you experiment this in the real world? I thought it was a feature to be implemented in future version of the app / firmware.
2015-3-11
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

By putting the camera in free mode it will always try to look in the same direction, even if the Inspire changes direction.  I have found this to be useful when tracking objects with just one operator.

I also set my C1 button to toggle between changing pan or tilt with the left dial on the remote.  This way I can do nice pans to help free mode keep on the subject.  

So it is very possible to do what you're asking, it just isn't an automatic mode, you need to work a bit.  But that's half the fun plus I would much rather be in charge of how it goes about it.
2015-3-11
Use props
sloras1
lvl.1

United States

blackbox Posted at 2015-3-12 05:31
@sloras1 did you experiment this in the real world? I thought it was a feature to be implemented i ...

I have not had a chance to try this yet, but it is described in the manual.
2015-3-17
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-12 06:03
By putting the camera in free mode it will always try to look in the same direction, even if the Ins ...

Your description only applies to fixed objects (e.g. a tree) while you fly at the same side of that object. If you overfly the object in the way that you end on its other side, the camera will still point to its previous direction so it will lose the object.

For me, a much more interesting feature would be a "camera following mode" (I don't know the exact definition) where you mark an object (some contrast needed) and the camera always points to it independently of the i1 position.
2015-3-19
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Prop-Lock Girl Posted at 2015-3-19 20:59
Your description only applies to fixed objects (e.g. a tree) while you fly at the same side of that ...

All basic data for follow-me are present during flight.
We have GPS, altitude and camera angle (tilt).
I am confident it is possible to make some calculations on the basic data to have a follow-me option in the app.
And this without any extra hardware.

2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules