Just wondering # of GPS signals lock before taking off is the safe

2021-9-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no single magic number that is safe/not safe.
There is a lot more involved than just the number of sats which could vary.
Just wait until your drone advises that it has recorded a home point.
That's when you know it's all clear for take off.
2021-9-5
Use props
David-Air
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4717963 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-5 20:22
There is no single magic number that is safe/not safe.
There is a lot more involved than just the number of sats which could vary.
Just wait until your drone advises that it has recorded a home point.

So the best way is to launch is using the phone/tablet where it said "Slide to take off" and it ask to check the home point.  It is the safest.

Am I right?
2021-9-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

David-Air Posted at 9-5 20:27
So the best way is to launch is using the phone/tablet where it said "Slide to take off" and it ask to check the home point.  It is the safest.

Am I right?

Launch however you like, but wait for teh app to tell you that the homepoint has been recorded before you do.
2021-9-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always wait for the home point has been recorded message and a minimum of 11 satellites,  just my preference.    Occasionally if Im somewhere like a canyon where you cannot see that much sky I'll wait for 7 and risk it,    but its always a risk.
2021-9-6
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-6 01:08
I always wait for the home point has been recorded message and a minimum of 11 satellites,  just my preference.    Occasionally if Im somewhere like a canyon where you cannot see that much sky I'll wait for 7 and risk it,    but its always a risk.

I do the same. My understanding is that 11 sats is the magic number because you need a minimum of 6 either GPS AND/OR Glonass sats for a good position fix. Having “only” 10 locked means (worst case) you could theoretically have just 5 of each. Waiting for 11 guarantees you’ve got at least 6 of one or the othe locked in and should be good to go..

Having said that !, too, must sometimes launch from a location where some elevation angles are restricted and I can’t get a lock on more than 7 or 8 sats at ground level. In such a case I will often launch and ascend purely vertically to 20-30 feet and watch to see the count come up as the horizon opens up. It almost always does; if not I abort the mission and land right away to fly another day!
2021-9-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, we users are not smart enough to know when it is safe because of the very complex calculations required. But the best plan is to let the drone tell you when it's safe. The message onscreen is very clear. Keep in mind that the exact number may be in flux depending on the firmware version installed at the time.
2021-9-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Spaceman_66 Posted at 9-6 21:46
I do the same. My understanding is that 11 sats is the magic number because you need a minimum of 6 either GPS AND/OR Glonass sats for a good position fix. Having “only” 10 locked means (worst case) you could theoretically have just 5 of each. Waiting for 11 guarantees you’ve got at least 6 of one or the othe locked in and should be good to go..

Having said that !, too, must sometimes launch from a location where some elevation angles are restricted and I can’t get a lock on more than 7 or 8 sats at ground level. In such a case I will often launch and ascend purely vertically to 20-30 feet and watch to see the count come up as the horizon opens up. It almost always does; if not I abort the mission and land right away to fly another day!

Hi,

The "GPS" chip uses both or all types of satellites at the same time, so no need to have 11.
Any combination of GPS, GLONASS and GALILEO (for some models) wich result in a good reception ( level 4 in the range of 0 - 5) will set a HP; thus ready to go. Most of the times with the number 8 or more....

But flying with a low number and loosing 1 or 2 satellites (urban area, no good view to clear sky) will not make a good flying day....  ;-)So more is better!

cheers
JJB

2021-9-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Spaceman_66 Posted at 9-6 21:46

My understanding is that 11 sats is the magic number because you need a minimum of 6 either GPS AND/OR Glonass sats for a good position fix. Having “only” 10 locked means (worst case) you could theoretically have just 5 of each. Waiting for 11 guarantees you’ve got at least 6 of one or the othe locked in and should be good to go.

This is all wrong.
There is no magic number that will ensure your drone has GPS position holding.
There is much more involved than the number of satellites.
And it gets even more complex with newer models tha talso use the Galileo satellite system.

Wait until your drone tells you that it has recorded a home point and then you'll know that it has full GPS.
2021-9-7
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 9-7 04:34
My understanding is that 11 sats is the magic number because you need a minimum of 6 either GPS AND/OR Glonass sats for a good position fix. Having “only” 10 locked means (worst case) you could theoretically have just 5 of each. Waiting for 11 guarantees you’ve got at least 6 of one or the othe locked in and should be good to go.

This is all wrong.

Totally agree!
2021-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules