Question about No-Fly zones
1869 8 2015-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aviin
lvl.1

United States

I've been looking at Google Earth scouting for potential fun places to fly when I get my P3 (ordering it in a couple days) and I've been cross-referencing that with the No-Fly zones listed at http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly (which I presume match what DJI Pilot enforces).  I've noticed multiple small airports near me that aren't marked as No-Fly zones (this is in Ohio in the U.S.).  Are only airports above a certain size marked in the app, with smaller airports unenforced?  I'm all for personal responsibility, so if that's the case, I'm okay with it, but I am curious if these omissions are simply based, as I said, on airport size, or some FAA rule I'm unaware of?  The FAA website pretty clearly states that you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport without contacting the airport and tower beforehand.  Is it that larger airports are always no fly and smaller ones just have to be contacted first and aren't strictly no fly?

By the way, for anyone who was unaware, Google Earth Pro is now free and includes a handy tool for placing circles of any given size onto the map, so you can (as I have been) mark out 5-mile radii circles around airports as well as flight ranges around potential launch sites.  Looking at where those circles overlap has given me alot of insight into where I can safely fly and where I cannot.

2015-7-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the NFZ we are trying to protect the user from doing something illegal.  However, you are correct we have not included NFZ for many regional airports.  It then becomes the pilots responsibility to avoid this areas.
2015-8-2
Use props
Phantom George
lvl.1

Australia

RAPAS Logger, in Australia is a APP which will show no fly zone.
2015-8-7
Use props
bucknew
lvl.2

United States

Don't fly if u see manned ACFT in the air not a cool idea be smart fly safe
2015-8-7
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

there are plenty of apps that will give you airspace information which will help in your planning. I use a few but by far the best is sky demon light - that will give you airspace information and NOTAMs
2015-8-17
Use props
mrapl1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

aviin,
     Try here:  https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/
2015-9-13
Use props
C17Jamie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 348022 ft
United States

www.airmap.io is a really good map
2015-9-13
Use props
mrapl1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

Agreed, very nice map....!  Thanks....
2015-9-14
Use props
C17Jamie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 348022 ft
United States

mrapl1 Posted at 2015-9-14 16:08
Agreed, very nice map....!

I also use a couple apps for my iPhone... if you know of any other goods one, let me know too!

Hover (uses that airmap.io map)
FlySafe
UAV Zones
and Drone Zones (You can post good locations and rate each spot you like to fly)
2015-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules