792 12 2021-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NickelPlate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 506073 ft
United States

Hey folks,

I was experimenting today in my backyard using my iPad 6th gen as the screen running dji fly. Everything worked great except I noticed that the map was showing my location (not the drone), probably two houses down from mine and moving around.. The drone location, home point and direction was spot on. I'm assuming this is because my iPad doesn't have GPS capability. I tried with both my iPad on my home WiFi as well as using my cellphone as a hotspot and it didn't make any difference. Also I noticed it was using Apple Maps as opposed to Google maps. Is that normal?

My number one question is it safe to fly this way? The screen size and brightness is really nice compared to my phone, although kinda heavy but not unmanageable.

Thanks,

Dave
2021-9-6
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41191 ft

Germany

I have the iPad 5 mini and I can see that in bright sunshine the brightness leaves something to be desired.

I also have an iPad 5th generation 9.7 inch WiFi only, but, as you already said, it is too unwieldy and too heavy,
despite the fact that I have a strap around my neck and use it to attach the RC.
2021-9-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Certainly safe to fly like that cause you can open the larger map anyway, I found sommat similar on my Tab S2 7.9", again, that couple with the heavy tablet folder I bought made it seem too heavy for the controllers inbuilt holder, its probably ok but I've defaulted to my Note 20 Ultra when using the Mini 2, it just seems right ya know..
2021-9-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dave. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who are using the said mobile device ( iPad 6th Gen ) can give out the best information with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that DJI recommends using a recommended mobile device when flying your DJI Mini 2 ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads ) for compatibility and reliability purposes. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-9-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"...my iPad doesn't have GPS capability."

It's safe to fly with a device that has no GPS capability. No flight ability is compromised. But you will absolutely lose most of the benefits of the map and orientation view. I had the same problem with a Samsung Tab A (no GPS). I gave it away.
2021-9-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If your iPad doesn't have a sim slot then it wont have a GPS.
2021-9-6
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 9-6 18:44
Certainly safe to fly like that cause you can open the larger map anyway, I found sommat similar on my Tab S2 7.9", again, that couple with the heavy tablet folder I bought made it seem too heavy for the controllers inbuilt holder, its probably ok but I've defaulted to my Note 20 Ultra when using the Mini 2, it just seems right ya know..

I bought one of those snap in gizmos from Amazon that allows my 9.7" iPad to fit in just like a phone and an extension cable so I can keep it in the center. Doesn't seem to put too much stress on the holder. It's big and kind of dorky looking though but it I can read everything so much easier.

Thanks for the feedback!
2021-9-7
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-6 21:28
"...my iPad doesn't have GPS capability."

It's safe to fly with a device that has no GPS capability. No flight ability is compromised. But you will absolutely lose most of the benefits of the map and orientation view. I had the same problem with a Samsung Tab A (no GPS). I gave it away.

Thanks GD. I'm not planning on flying this way exclusively but it's nice to have the option. Thanks for confirming!

Cheers,

Dave
2021-9-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NickelPlate Posted at 9-7 04:56
I bought one of those snap in gizmos from Amazon that allows my 9.7" iPad to fit in just like a phone and an extension cable so I can keep it in the center. Doesn't seem to put too much stress on the holder. It's big and kind of dorky looking though but it I can read everything so much easier.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mine is mostly metal and with that and my Tab S2 9.7, i feel that there is a little wobble and over time it may become more than it should
2021-9-7
Use props
djiuser_zJWO200GkdrF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 278346 ft
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 9-6 23:58
If your iPad doesn't have a sim slot then it wont have a GPS.

Hello, thanks for the information, it is very helpful.
Is it necessary to have a sim card installed or is it enough that the Ipad is the sim slot model to have full functionalities when flying our drone?

Thank you!
2021-9-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zJWO200GkdrF Posted at 9-8 10:16
Hello, thanks for the information, it is very helpful.
Is it necessary to have a sim card installed or is it enough that the Ipad is the sim slot model to have full functionalities when flying our drone?

the iPad has an A-GPS which is assisted from the cell towers so it will get a reception quicker with a SIM card.
2021-9-8
Use props
djiuser_zJWO200GkdrF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 278346 ft
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 9-8 23:21
the iPad has an A-GPS which is assisted from the cell towers so it will get a reception quicker with a SIM card.

Thank you very much
2021-9-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2021-9-10
Use props
Advanced