Gimbal motor overload only after taking off
641 5 2021-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zcello
lvl.1

Australia

My Mavic 2 Pro hasn't been used for a while and now it is giving me the 'Gimbal motor overload' message after taking off.

I did the usual stuff such as making sure the gimbal protector is off, calibrated the gimbal, IMU & compass. I found no problem with gimbal movement.  In fact, when the power is on but before taking off, no matter how hard I move it, the gimbal is keeping it aligned and smooth all the time. But soon after taking off, even when it is only at 1.2m high taking off position and without any wind, I will get 'Gimbal motor overload' very soon. When I land it, sometimes the message will stay a little while but after a little while, it will be gone and all behaving again.

This is very annoying as the gimbal seems to be working perfectly if the drone is not flying, as soon as the propellers are spinning, it stopped working.

The drone is out of warranty, any suggestions?

Cheers!
2021-9-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there zcello. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and thank you for reaching out. May we know if the said DJI drone had a hard landing or a crash before? Kindly lease check if there are debris stuck in the gimbal. Please remove if any debris are found and, restart the said DJI drone, and then recalibrate the gimbal once again as well. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2021-9-8
Use props
zcello
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-8 19:24
Hello there zcello. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and thank you for reaching out. May we know if the said DJI drone had a hard landing or a crash before? Kindly lease check if there are debris stuck in the gimbal. Please remove if any debris are found and, restart the said DJI drone, and then recalibrate the gimbal once again as well. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply.

The drone doesn't have hard landing/crash before. The gimbal can move freely, I can't see evidence of any debris causing problem, and if tje drone only has power on, but without starting the motors of propellers,  even if I shake the drone very hard, the gimbal will actually work very well to do what it should do. The problem only exists when the drone is in the air and propellers are spinning, even if there is no wind at all and the drone hovers perfectly stable.
2021-9-8
Use props
FloridaNext
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62320 ft
Germany

zcello Posted at 9-8 20:07
Thank you for the reply.

The drone doesn't have hard landing/crash before. The gimbal can move freely, I can't see evidence of any debris causing problem, and if tje drone only has power on, but without starting the motors of propellers,  even if I shake the drone very hard, the gimbal will actually work very well to do what it should do. The problem only exists when the drone is in the air and propellers are spinning, even if there is no wind at all and the drone hovers perfectly stable.

That sounds crazy. You could try two things:

- Replace the propellers (maybe there is some sort of vibration which has an impact on the gimbal).

- Try it without the propellers and see if the message still appears.
2021-9-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

zcello Posted at 9-8 20:07
Thank you for the reply.

The drone doesn't have hard landing/crash before. The gimbal can move freely, I can't see evidence of any debris causing problem, and if tje drone only has power on, but without starting the motors of propellers,  even if I shake the drone very hard, the gimbal will actually work very well to do what it should do. The problem only exists when the drone is in the air and propellers are spinning, even if there is no wind at all and the drone hovers perfectly stable.

Hi there zcello. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given. Since you are having this issue with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to find out the reason of the issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-9-10
Use props
zcello
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-10 02:39
Hi there zcello. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given. Since you are having this issue with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to find out the reason of the issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply, I read the info under the production support page but I didn't find the answer to the problem. Do you think this is a hardware fault and I need to send it back to DJI for repair? It is out of warranty and there is no DJI service in the state I live in, so I really want to exhaust all options before I have to do that.

Cheers
2021-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules