Phantom 3 - Retractable Landing Gear
3364 10 2015-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Don´t see the idea with it since camera can´t pan - but fun.

2015-7-28
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

Mega cool hehe, and they use the original landing gear + it moves fast
2015-7-28
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Interesting, but I don't get the point given the P3's inability to pan. Looks expensive too.
2015-7-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I watched this video the other day.

For $280, I can find other things to spend my money on.

The retractable gear does look neat, but what happens when you have a rough landing? They provide you with a brace to use in your storage case to keep the legs together. Land rough, the landing leg rolls left or right and your camera and gimbal now makes contact with the ground.

Why not relocate the gimbal/camera to the front of the Phantom and add a second battery? The camera would be in a better protected location and the second battery would add duration/range especially with a booster transmitter antenna.
2015-7-28
Use props
PerlanSwed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1130577 ft
Sweden

In theory it would be possible to change the gimbal FW so we get 180 degree gimbal pan. That would be nice...
But my concerns is the new position of the antennas when the landing gear is in up position.

Its a super cool thing to have retractable landing gear. But pointless without a gimbal that can take the advantage of it.
2015-7-28
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

PerlanSwed Posted at 2015-7-28 23:37
In theory it would be possible to change the gimbal FW so we get 180 degree gimbal pan. That would b ...

And yet another thing that can stuff up. More technology means more that can go wrong.
2015-7-28
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

This is the dumbest..biggest waste of money I've seen yet...
2015-7-30
Use props
aek
lvl.2

Sweden

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-28 23:02
I watched this video the other day.

For $280, I can find other things to spend my money on.

That would actually be kind of useful if possible.
But I guess it would be to heavy with two batteries.

But why not instead add an extender for the battery to move it back a bit, and the gimbal forward?
Still not very useful, except no more props in the field of view
2015-7-30
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Unnecessary extra weight and possible interference with the stability/performance due to the landing gear being in the prop wash. Yeah, I am a bit confused as to the "benefits".
2015-7-30
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

I do NOT see any benefit to the extra weight...
2015-7-30
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

aek Posted at 2015-7-31 07:06
That would actually be kind of useful if possible.
But I guess it would be to heavy with two batter ...

aek posted: "But why not instead add an extender for the battery to move it back a bit, and the gimbal forward?
Still not very useful, except no more props in the field of view "

I think you will find that the gimbal needs to be centred between all four props and as close to their rotational plane as is practical. Otherwise the camera  would not be stabilised properly. For example, if it were mounted forward of centre, the camera would move (as opposed to rotate) up and down slightly when the Phantom was flown forward or backward. But a nice idea.
2015-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules