DJI Mini 2 Defect and flyaway or pilot error?
1850 32 2021-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_UpdUElUpOpoW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141506 ft
Romania

Hi!
I have a problem and I want to know the community opinion about what it happened!

Short story, in Greece on vacancy, I have lost my drone.

I'm sure that the drone had a defect (something broke, propeller, one of the engine, other) on the flight, DJI support first conclusion (I hope it will change) is  The incident was caused by the stick command of the pilot.

Unfortunately the place were he crush is on a swamp place surrounded by very tall trees. I try to find it with the landlord but no luck!

Video taken in flight when it happened (I was filming the village of Makrinitsa which is on a very steep hill flying downhill)!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lsVaJeFuZox-uljO3FbvaSvHmtLaL3pV/view

Screen recorded from DJI Fly app!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1meiCQiKzdb3i28nDq09oQuMRBz6TjcMt/view

Flight log!
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/FXNACQVWA9G0AGFNW54E/

Thank you for your opinion!

2021-9-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. I've managed to get your ticket number via your forum account, I'll forward it to our corresponding team to keep follow up, please wait for the email update. Thanks.
2021-9-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It looks like there was a problem with a motor or propeller that started at 391.1 seconds.
The drone was approx 100 metres above the ground and it rolled hard to the right and pitched forward sharply.
That suggests the front right motor or prop may have been the problem.

DJI support first conclusion (I hope it will change) is  The incident was caused by the stick command of the pilot.
Someone has made a mistake.
The drone was climbing and rotating clockwise.
There's nothing about your stick inputs that could cause the problem.
Ask DJI what stick command caused the problem.
And ask them to look again because their initial conclusion is not supported by the flight data.
2021-9-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My guess, hit a bird, tis just a guess mind~
The 1st motor warning was when it took a hit, this is what it looks like, certainly not pilot error

Screenshot 2021-09-09 144446.png
2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

I already ask them to revise the conclusion and I send them same thing that I have posted here!
2021-9-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cossty Posted at 9-9 05:45
I already ask them to revise the conclusion and I send them same thing that I have posted here!

Whilst not pilot error, it was either a bird or just a dicky motor, I am sure one of the other members will be able to tell if it was a bird strike by the g-force measurements or whatever it is they check, that's beyond my what little knowledge I have and that ain't a lot lol good look
2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

Bashy Posted at 9-9 05:48
Whilst not pilot error, it was either a bird or just a dicky motor, I am sure one of the other members will be able to tell if it was a bird strike by the g-force measurements or whatever it is they check, that's beyond my what little knowledge I have and that ain't a lot lol good look

At that time, this was the first thought, but I have looked at the drone (fortunately I was able to still see it), and I don't see any sign that this is happened. I only see that the drone spins and have a random trajectory.
But you could be right and I don't see the bird.
That's way I wanted opinions from community.
Also if someone, can tell from the value of the G force sensor that I hit a bird, please tell me!
Thank you so much!
2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

I forgot to mention that after the last firmware update, the drone become a little stranger in behavior, the gimbals sometimes in cinematic mode, as the drone stop it was shaking (somehow like in sport mode). and sometimes also in cinematic mode, the drone start with a low speed around 2 m/s, and suddenly jump to 15 -17 m/s, without moving the position of the sticks or without wind change!
Anybody have the same problem?

2021-9-9
Use props
SnitserNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2372014 ft
Netherlands

Cossty Posted at 9-9 09:51
I forgot to mention that after the last firmware update, the drone become a little stranger in behavior, the gimbals sometimes in cinematic mode, as the drone stop it was shaking (somehow like in sport mode). and sometimes also in cinematic mode, the drone start with a low speed around 2 m/s, and suddenly jump to 15 -17 m/s, without moving the position of the sticks or without wind change!

Was it the latest firmware update or the latest Fly App update?
Because a lot of issues are reported on the Fly App version 1.4.8. The sudden speed change in the app might me explained by a possible app freeze.
2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

I just check and I have DJI Fly version 1.4.8.
So yes I think you are right, after the update of the DJI Fly app is much more plausible.

Thank you for the info!
2021-9-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is this at the end of the video? Just an anomaly of the camera due to impact or something physical?
possible collision.jpg
2021-9-9
Use props
SnitserNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2372014 ft
Netherlands

Cossty Posted at 9-9 10:15
I just check and I have DJI Fly version 1.4.8.
So yes I think you are right, after the update of the DJI Fly app is much more plausible.

Do you think it could be possible that the app reported your drone to be in a place where it wasn't in reality?

Because I had problems with 1.4.8 too (app partly freezing), but I noticed that the RC was responding as it should.  

If the app reported you the wrong telemetry, then could it be possible is that the info from the app might have misled you while flying?

2021-9-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 9-9 13:01
What is this at the end of the video? Just an anomaly of the camera due to impact or something physical?

That looks suspiciously like a bird strike to me.
2021-9-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 9-9 15:01
That looks suspiciously like a bird strike to me.

Agreed, i didnt realise there was a video of it, having just watched that now, the AC does take good enough of a hit to produce a decent gimbal wobble, it certainly gives the impression of an impact, just  watched it again and pausing and at key moments it clearly shows the motion blur from the hit and I think this actually clinches the bird idea...

PS, I see my phantom downvoter is back, funny really, its like they think voting actually means anything on here lol

Apologies Labroides, we must have posted around the same time as I didn't see your reply when I replied.

2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

The drone was equipped with a sunshade for the gimbals and a cpl filter.

I initially think that the anomaly was from the sunshade...

2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

Bashy Posted at 9-9 16:41
Agreed, i didnt realise there was a video of it, having just watched that now, the AC does take good enough of a hit to produce a decent gimbal wobble, it certainly gives the impression of an impact, just  watched it again and pausing and at key moments it clearly shows the motion blur from the hit and I think this actually clinches the bird idea...

PS, I see my phantom downvoter is back, funny really, its like they think voting actually means anything on here lol

Although the drone, it still was in my view and I don't see the strike, I guess it is possible.

I initially think that the anomaly was from the sunshade, but  now ....

2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

SnitserNL Posted at 9-9 13:49
Do you think it could be possible that the app reported your drone to be in a place where it wasn't in reality?

Because I had problems with 1.4.8 too (app partly freezing), but I noticed that the RC was responding as it should.  

No, because it was still in my view.
Now I put the other anomalies on the DJI Fly app, like strange gimbals movement, when I stop the drone in cinematic mode and the gimbals shake as in sport mode, and the sudden change in the speed of the drone also in cinematic mode from example 2 or 3 m/s to 15 or 17 m/s without movement of the stick or the wind change.
2021-9-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agreed, when you look at my image, that's deffo the sunshade, so the shadow was not the cause of the motor issue, something else is, be it a bird or actual motor issue
2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

When the drone go down crashing, the image on the DJI Fly app on the phone was only a blurring image like the drone was spinning very fast. Unfortunately, I didn't record that!
2021-9-9
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

Bashy Posted at 9-9 05:48

As you say, if anybody can tell from the G-force measurement, if it is possible to be a bird attack please let us know!
Thank you!
2021-9-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cossty Posted at 9-9 22:24

I initially think that the anomaly was from the sunshade...[view_image]

Makes sense.
2021-9-10
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

honestly I would say it was pretty bad luck :/
following terrain there - there is no way You did hit ground obstacle, so 2 theories:
a) bird strike, that damage propeller and drone just fall down
b) just propeller failure, and drone fall down

both cases drone computer tries to fight back and stay in air, but can't, so goes spiral down. then hit ground :/
1st there is a hit in something (or propeller broke/unscrew midair), around 6m16sec on log, I think it's that moment it shake in vid
then it spiral down.
and motor error came way later, at 6m28sec, it's when IMO drone hit some tree or ground

so this don't look like pilot error, but hard to blame manufacturer for that.
If U sure that was no bird, as drone was still in sight, must be propeller fault.     IMHO 300m it's quite a distance for mini2 LOS, it is then a small dot in sky, but U might have eagle eye ;)
Did You check propellers and screws before start? sometimes they can even get damage in transport case, as they are quite fragile.
2021-9-10
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

KREMi Posted at 9-10 10:25
honestly I would say it was pretty bad luck :/
following terrain there - there is no way You did hit ground obstacle, so 2 theories:
a) bird strike, that damage propeller and drone just fall down

Hi! Yes the drone was in my sight (if the contrast with the environment is in your favor you still can see it very well).

I don't see the eventually bird strike as initially i was looking at the phone to see what I was recording.
After i see the shaking of the camera and until I stop the recording , and a quick search of the drone, the bird could fly away and I didn't see it, so for that I ask your opinions.

I see seagulls trying to attack the drone on previous days, but I see that they was scared by the noise I think, because they always stop the attack and fly away when they are very close of the drone!
So I was thinking no bird will ever attack the drone ....

Now, with the help of the community,  I'm 70% sure that was a bird strike and 30 % that was a failure of the drone.

The propellers was the original propellers, I didn't change them, neither check if a screw come loose.

It's very frustrating to lose your drone in the middle of the vacancy NOT knowing what happened, and on a terrain so difficult to search, on a foreign country.. Fortunately, I downloaded the content a night before.

Thank you!

P.S. Somebody knows a European or Greek forum with lost and find drones?
2021-9-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it was a prop come loose, there would be one motor with no prop on it at all, was that the case, or were they all complete/broken but not missing?
2021-9-10
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

Bashy Posted at 9-10 17:33
If it was a prop come loose, there would be one motor with no prop on it at all, was that the case, or were they all complete/broken but not missing?

Unfortunately the drone was lost. He like so much Greece that he remain there!
2021-9-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SnitserNL Posted at 9-9 13:49

No
2021-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cossty Posted at 9-10 23:38
Unfortunately the drone was lost. He like so much Greece that he remain there!

Prob stuck up a tree, thats a shame, also a shame there was no video of the whole crash as that may have helped narrow it down, gutted for ya! but hopefully you will have a good outcome with DJI as it most certainly wasn't a stick input issue
2021-9-11
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

It's a shame I didn't film the whole crash, but at that moment ... first thing was to stop recording and see what's happen.

I will use my Care refresh flyaway and I hope I don't have this bad luck again.

But as @KREMi said, I can't just blame the manufacturer for that!

Thank you very much to everyone who gave their opinion!
2021-9-11
Use props
kimikawaii
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36946 ft
United States

Almost certain that is a bird attack.
2021-10-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

kimikawaii Posted at 10-4 12:02
Almost certain that is a bird attack.

The OP said it was the image of an added camera sunshade.
2021-10-4
Use props
djiuser_j9iCmntISqLY
New

Canada

Good Morning Team!

My DJI Mavic Mini 2 was recently Lost! I was flying in 122 m! Amd i checked the surrounding! There was no nearby buildings! Suddenly the GPS connection was lost ! And i didnt get any control over the drone! And it flipped and crashed! But When I sent this details it is saying I need to Pay $225

I Have DJI care refresh program for 2 years which cost me almost $80 CAD i guess which has 3 replacement
I couldnt find the drone yet

So the only option is to pay $225! Just a question as i paid insurance

CAS-8197671-T8X1N0

2022-1-28
Use props
Mrshuer11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 866286 ft
Romania

I had the same issues, there was a bird or maybe the the propelers broke down. You need to check them before each flight. Try to search it . Without it you will not be able to replace it
2022-1-29
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2021-9-9 05:39
It looks like there was a problem with a motor or propeller that started at 391.1 seconds.
The drone was approx 100 metres above the ground and it rolled hard to the right and pitched forward sharply.
That suggests the front right motor or prop may have been the problem.

Great advice and I totally agree with you
2022-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules