Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why such a low transmit power?
2454 9 2021-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks

I think I may know the answer, but, I think the Mini 2 is limited to 100mw for CE? 400mw for FCC
That is such a low wattage considering in the UK, CB radio can use 4w. 27mhz

Is it cause it's on the same frequency as WiFi?
2021-9-9
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You meant 100 milliWatts of course, not 100 Watts. But yes, 100 mW goes a long way at the higher WiFi GHz frequencies.

2021-9-9
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks, my autocorrect did a number on me, and thanks, as I suspected, it is annoying how some countries can allow higher power.
It would also account for many that have issues with WiFi over here in the UK as I am quite certain the lower wattage also applies there too.
2021-9-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think we can thank the EU for picking lower power for the licence than the USA as we typically have more congestion here.
2021-9-9
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-9 23:46
I think we can thank the EU for picking lower power for the licence than the USA as we typically have more congestion here.

I spose that makes some sense...
2021-9-10
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

Low power means less battery drain. Cell phones typically use around 500 mW for the same reason, while a typical cell phone tower use up to only 20W. There's no need for the tower to scream if the phone can only whisper.
2021-9-10
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Turbo1ed Posted at 9-10 04:02
Low power means less battery drain. Cell phones typically use around 500 mW for the same reason, while a typical cell phone tower use up to only 20W. There's no need for the tower to scream if the phone can only whisper.

OK, but why here in the UK do we have to put up with the lower power, the US is 4x our power for the mini 2, plus, there's no mention of CE batteries lasting longer than FCC so I don't think that applies here
2021-9-10
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

Bashy Posted at 9-10 07:56
OK, but why here in the UK do we have to put up with the lower power, the US is 4x our power for the mini 2, plus, there's no mention of CE batteries lasting longer than FCC so I don't think that applies here

I'm sorry, I was focusing more on the question about why wireless devices of today are not using the 4W power of CB radios...
I tried to do some research as to why Wi-Fi and such is limited to 100mW by CE and I couldn't find a clear answer so far. My assumption is that CE has to reach consensus among more countries (vs only 2 if we include Canada in the FCC/IC regulations), and European countries are more densely populated in general.
High power Wi-Fi is a problem, for example I live in a condo building with 13 neighbors, and the 2.4GHz band is highly congested and barely usable with the abuse of Wi-Fi repeaters.
2021-9-11
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Turbo1ed Posted at 9-11 06:46
I'm sorry, I was focusing more on the question about why wireless devices of today are not using the 4W power of CB radios...
I tried to do some research as to why Wi-Fi and such is limited to 100mW by CE and I couldn't find a clear answer so far. My assumption is that CE has to reach consensus among more countries (vs only 2 if we include Canada in the FCC/IC regulations), and European countries are more densely populated in general.
High power Wi-Fi is a problem, for example I live in a condo building with 13 neighbors, and the 2.4GHz band is highly congested and barely usable with the abuse of Wi-Fi repeaters.

That does make a lot of sense, if you have issues, have a look at a Mesh setup and try to use 5ghz when you can, like ya lappy and tablets etc, I have well over 50 wifi items all on a mesh setup, never had a problem since getting the mesh
2021-9-11
Use props
djiuser_zNcXuN4AhLGc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 431135 ft
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 9-9 22:08
Thanks, my autocorrect did a number on me, and thanks, as I suspected, it is annoying how some countries can allow higher power.
It would also account for many that have issues with WiFi over here in the UK as I am quite certain the lower wattage also applies there too.

Hi, check out https://drone-hacks.com/
I upgraded/hacked my mini 2 from 100mW to 400mW using their software. Now range is double
2021-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules