Phantom 4 RTK Overlap
3148 3 2021-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KristianF
lvl.1

Slovakia

Hello guys!

Hopefully someone can help me up with my question.
What are the best overlap settings for Phantom 4 RTK (mapping fields) ?
Also what are the best setting GENERALLY for Phantom 4 RTK (height, speed, overlap, etc.) ?

Thank you for every answer!
2021-9-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi, The answer is not that simple.
It depends on several factors. The type of surface is decisive. If you work on a field where the ground is bare, you will be able to largely loosen the overlap and consequently increase the interval between each photo. If you are working on a surface with complex relief, forest, buildings ... you will have to tighten the overlap. It all depends on the precision required! in terms of cm / pixel.
It is not uncommon for me to use 80% side 90% front for forest precision DSMs.
If you wish you can specify the situations you are facing, I can give you my opinion. But this is only my opinion, it is not an exact science, the parameters may vary depending on the brightness for example.
Generally I recommend that you start with 80% 90% 5cm/pix at the recommended sensor interval, then reduce overlap and/or the resolution rate (to reduce the flight time and the volume of data). Then you compare the results and you will form your own opinion which will certainly be the best and the most adapted to your environment.

Be careful with geoid altitude !

Regards
2021-9-16
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

How long is a piece of string?
2021-9-17
Use props
adomanim
lvl.3

Algeria

You can fly with less overlap and achieve more accurate results with fewer GCPs with a drone that can apply RTK or PPK centimeter accurate geotags to the image locations. I normally fly 70% and 60% and it works great. There are occasions that I will increase overlap if I'm mapping taller structures. For most mapping work, I use 70% and 60%. SenseFly's eBee X default overlap settings are 60% & 60%. That's a little on the low side for me since it can result in fewer images capturing any given feature on the ground.

snaptube vidmate
2022-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules