Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SimonCW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 389577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello,

just received my new DJI OM 5 today and already have a problem.
After I’ve attached my phone to the gimbal and turn on the power and tap the recenter button the gimbal vibrates like crazy and I get a red “Gimbal Overheat” message.

Anyone had the same issue?

I’ve tried to contact DJI but it seem After Sales department don’t work at the weekends so I can’t use it now.

2021-9-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm what mobile device are you using? Also, can you please try to rebalance your mobile device to the phone holder to see if the issue persists? Please note that you may recenter the gimbal by pressing the recenter button twice quickly. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2021-9-10
Use props
SimonCW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 389577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-10 20:32
Hi there. We're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm what mobile device are you using? Also, can you please try to rebalance your mobile device to the phone holder to see if the issue persists? Please note that you may recenter the gimbal by pressing the recenter button twice quickly. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

I'm using iPhone 12 Pro, Yes I have tried rebalance the phone and it's when I press the recenter button twice the vibrating happens. I tired to turn it off and on but still the same issue.
2021-9-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

SimonCW Posted at 9-10 23:13
I'm using iPhone 12 Pro, Yes I have tried rebalance the phone and it's when I press the recenter button twice the vibrating happens. I tired to turn it off and on but still the same issue.

Thank you for your response, Simon. Could you please send us a video sample showing the issue? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2021-9-12
Use props
Rastamania
New

Australia

OM5 was delivered today and have issues straight out of the box. Tested on both an iPhone7 and an iPhone11 Pro and the gimbal vibrates and moves erratically for both with "Giimbal Overheated" and "Motor protected, please resume" messages.

om5-motor-protected.jpg om5-gimbal-overheated.jpg

https://youtu.be/mNp_8CVjCRs

2021-9-15
Use props
DroneTinker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190791 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Did anything help? Mine just arrived and having exactly the same issues with iPhone 11 Pro.
2021-9-15
Use props
Paso
New
United States

I'm having the same issue using an iPhone 12pro with DJI OM 5. It starts vibrating on startup and I get "Gimbal Overheated" alert. The gimbal temperature feels normal.
2021-9-15
Use props
Rastamania
New

Australia

DroneTinker Posted at 9-15 07:14
Did anything help? Mine just arrived and having exactly the same issues with iPhone 11 Pro.

No. Updated firmware to the latest version and performed gimbal levelling followed by a calibration but it still vibrates and does the occasional flip. Still getting error message warning of "gimbal overheat" and "motor protected, please resume".

Have raised the issue with Online Support and am waiting on an email response.
2021-9-15
Use props
djiuser_nyfjP5DqW4Mp
New

United States

Same problem with mine. It’s not strong enough o hold iPhone 12 Pro and keeps shaking and overheating. I will be returning and going back to om4.
2021-9-15
Use props
DroneTinker
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

djiuser_nyfjP5DqW4Mp Posted at 9-15 21:36
Same problem with mine. It’s not strong enough o hold iPhone 12 Pro and keeps shaking and overheating. I will be returning and going back to om4.

Honestly, I knew the reduction of the size/weight + addition of the selfie stick came at a cost of something and now we know what that is. I have specifically asked on the forum about this. Yes, maybe on paper, OM5 has the same spect but I think the reality is different. I too just returned OM5 and ordered OM4. I don't mind it being a little bit bulkier as long as it gets the job done well and OM4 does that really well.
2021-9-16
Use props
DroneTinker
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

Rastamania Posted at 9-15 15:40
No. Updated firmware to the latest version and performed gimbal levelling followed by a calibration but it still vibrates and does the occasional flip. Still getting error message warning of "gimbal overheat" and "motor protected, please resume".

Have raised the issue with Online Support and am waiting on an email response.

I tried all of that too. Updated firmware, recalibrated a couple times but nothing helped. And if it fails so with iPhone 12, it will be worse with 13s. I think 13 gained a little bit weight because of the larger battery.
2021-9-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Could you please check the things below first?

1.        Please check whether your phone is on the compatibility list. If not, please kindly know that DJI OM5 supports the phone models whose weight range from 230 to 290g, thickness from 6.9 to 10 mm, width from 67 to 84 mm.

2.  Please take off your phone case and try again.

3.  If your phone tends to be smaller and thinner, such as iPhone8, Nova8, Oppo, Reno5 Pro, etc. or the edge of the phone is arcuated, please use the Silica gel pad that came within the box.

4.  If APP warns "Gimbal overheated", it indicates that the motor is in self-preservation. Please don't worry about that. Check the phone as the steps above, restart DJI Mimo App, and reboot up the gimbal.

5.  Please properly use the phone clamp. The clamp should be in the squarely middle of the phone and attach the clamp to the gimbal correctly. Here are some matters need attention:
1)Ensure that the phone clamp is in the middle of the phone.
2)Ensure that there is no gap between the phone and the phone clamp so that the phone clamp can wrap the phone.
3)Ensure magnetic alignment: the white dot on the phone clamp is aligned with the white dot on the gimbal.

Hope my answer is helpful to you ~
2021-9-16
Use props
Frank Alonso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

I have had a few instances of the Phone shaking as well.  I literally just got my OM 5 last night so I was not doing anything serious with it yet.  I plan on running it though its paces over the next week or two.  

My expectation is that if I am using it correctly it would not do that.
2021-9-16
Use props
bgyss
New
  • >>>
United States

I'm also having shaking issues with my new OM5 gimbal - did a firmware update and recalibrated and I'm still getting overheating.

My hunch is that it's something with the firmware because the problem seems to be so widespread.
2021-9-16
Use props
fans266954a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71929 ft
United States

Just unboxed watched tutorial , attached iPhone pro12 and fumble overheat message after vibrating- thoroughly disgusted and disappointed. Was giving as gift to daughter all set up and now this crap. How fast will DJI exchange?
2021-9-16
Use props
Malthill
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I got same thing, but taking my cover off fixed the problem.
2021-9-17
Use props
Joetru73
New
United Kingdom

I'm having exactly the same problem with the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, it's in the compatible phones list so it shouldn't be a problem.

The shaking only happens when using it in portrait mode and not in horizontal, I've ensured that the clamp is in the middle of the phone, there is no gap between the phone and the clap and the two white dots are aligned.

Is there anything I'm missing?
2021-9-18
Use props
djiuser_8rRIUqMOldew
New

Italy

Rastamania Posted at 9-15 05:52
OM5 was delivered today and have issues straight out of the box. Tested on both an iPhone7 and an iPhone11 Pro and the gimbal vibrates and moves erratically for both with "Giimbal Overheated" and "Motor protected, please resume" messages.

[view_image][view_image]

I too same problem with Iphone XS
2021-9-18
Use props
Max_Px
lvl.3
Italy

I think that if OM4 works with Iphone 12 Pro Max and OM5 has the same motors or it be able to balance the same weight, could be a current supply problem, from the new battery. If so could be a very BIG problem...
2021-9-20
Use props
djiuser_yqr1OGORBpSq
New

Japan

i’ve got my OM5 couple days ago and just tried it today

then the app popped up “update firmware now” so i followed the clicks.  once firmware was updated then same problem started!  i cannot even stop it when it’s vibrating crazily.  

is it due to firmware update????  

with my iphone 12 pro max

please help!. hope it could be fixed by another firmware patch
2021-9-20
Use props
gshine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 173871 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same thing on my iPhone 12. I updated the firmware before I fooled with it much so I don't know it that was an issue. I also took the rubber case off and it quit doing it. That's kind of annoying though, it's advertised to work with the case. Also my OM 4 works fine with this case.

The phone is centered right on the mount so that isn't it.  

It also does not seem to go very far down vertically, especially on the tripod.
2021-9-20
Use props
fans0a5c7650
New
United States

Just opened my OM 5, updated firmware…same thing everyone else is experiencing, vibrate and fail.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max, same result with and without case. Tried everything…

Has anyone found a solution?
2021-9-20
Use props
kevtun
New
United States

Hi, I'm also facing the same issue. I was using my OM5 literally just 2 or 3 mins for the very first time, and all of the sudden during my recording the gimbal vibrate like crazy and totally fail. i using with iphone 12 pro max.
2021-9-20
Use props
djiuser_5weEC0wB712r
lvl.1
Canada

I just received the OM 5 (and am awaiting my iPhone 13 Pro) and decided I'd give it a try with my current 6s Plus (even thought it's not on the compatibility list - probably more so due to the camera limitations and/or built in image stabilization).  In theory, it should still work to at least move the phone as it's slightly lighter than some of the other phones on the supported list (and well within the weight capacity rating of the OM 5).  I was equally disappointed with the immediate erratic shaking and overheating (within seconds of powering up and when in portrait mode - landscape ironically enough seemed much better).  And yes the latest firmware got installed pretty much immediately so was hard to tell if it's firmware related or not.  I re-centered/calibrated/etc. and even tried with the phone off to eliminate any phone compatibility related issues and determine if it was a motor or gimble firmware issues and it was also unusable.  So definitely nothing to do with the phone version.

I then tried using the provided spacer and voila... seems to have cured it completely... at least after a minute or so of testing just now.  All other attempts would fail within seconds so this is a good sign!  I will test more thoroughly with the spacer in place but thought I'd share this in the event it helps others.  Go figure that a spacer would have such an impact, I thought it would simply improve the grip of the clamp, but "somehow" it must affect balancing of the phone...

I do have an open case with DJI so I will see what comes back but I'm really hoping that it keeps working as it's a really nifty piece of gear.  I just hope the initial attempt to use it and the instances of shaking and overheating warnings didn't somehow damage the unit...   

It really isn't a fun experience when something new doesn't go well on first tries...  But I'm hopeful now!

Can't compare to previous models like others have, this is my entry point in hand held gimbles... I do have a Spark from DJI and had it for years and it's been SOLID... zero issues, so I'm hoping this is the end of my challenges with the OM 5.
2021-9-21
Use props
djiuser_cniv5EmZiqVd
New

Canada

Its the damnest thing......On horizontal slide from left to right I was experiencing excessive shaking as I panned across . I guess phone was too heavy maybe ? Its an s21 Ultra........but now I added the extra stick on spacer to the magnet and voila.........its rock solid !! Im shocked.....I was ready to pack this back in the box and return to Amazon for the OM 4.......but now I may give this a shot for a week or so ..........
2021-9-21
Use props
sville
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_5weEC0wB712r Posted at 9-21 04:06
I just received the OM 5 (and am awaiting my iPhone 13 Pro) and decided I'd give it a try with my current 6s Plus (even thought it's not on the compatibility list - probably more so due to the camera limitations and/or built in image stabilization).  In theory, it should still work to at least move the phone as it's slightly lighter than some of the other phones on the supported list (and well within the weight capacity rating of the OM 5).  I was equally disappointed with the immediate erratic shaking and overheating (within seconds of powering up and when in portrait mode - landscape ironically enough seemed much better).  And yes the latest firmware got installed pretty much immediately so was hard to tell if it's firmware related or not.  I re-centered/calibrated/etc. and even tried with the phone off to eliminate any phone compatibility related issues and determine if it was a motor or gimble firmware issues and it was also unusable.  So definitely nothing to do with the phone version.

I then tried using the provided spacer and voila... seems to have cured it completely... at least after a minute or so of testing just now.  All other attempts would fail within seconds so this is a good sign!  I will test more thoroughly with the spacer in place but thought I'd share this in the event it helps others.  Go figure that a spacer would have such an impact, I thought it would simply improve the grip of the clamp, but "somehow" it must affect balancing of the phone...

I can confirm my initial finding... the spacer definitely does the trick!!

Day 2 now without any vibration or erratic behavior... hard to explain why the spacer matters that much but for all of you who have the shaking with the OM 5, definitely worth a try!
2021-9-22
Use props
djiuser_rM2NjSxwEQDD
lvl.1

Spain

Same problem here
2021-9-22
Use props
sville
lvl.1
Canada

Definitely try putting the spacer!  Worked for me!
2021-9-22
Use props
fanse2ab1c24
lvl.3
Indonesia

sville Posted at 9-22 08:57
I can confirm my initial finding... the spacer definitely does the trick!!

Day 2 now without any vibration or erratic behavior... hard to explain why the spacer matters that much but for all of you who have the shaking with the OM 5, definitely worth a try!

Yes, I try put spacer (riser pad), and use it with samsung note 10+ with case, now it work fine without vibration. Thx.
2021-9-22
Use props
x-ider
New

Thailand

Same problem with iPhone 12 mini. I think I'm gonna return it. I can't imagine DJI didn't check OM5 with the most popular phone models.
2021-9-22
Use props
fans9bba3229
New
Morocco

Hi everyone. I picked up my OM 5 yesterday, was very excited to try it and had the exact same problem…. What a deception. I tried everything but nothing seemed to work. The erratic votation was killing me.
It is my first humble so I thought that I was doing something wrong. I am using it with an iPhone 11 Pro Max so at first I thought it was due to the size or weight of the phone.
In any case. I will try to add the spacer as some of you have suggested. If this doesn’t work I will have to return it
2021-9-23
Use props
joshkerr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7943 ft
United States

I had the same issue with the iPhone 12 Pro. If I take the iPhone case off and just use the iPhone naked, it works fine.
2021-9-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

iPhone 11 Pro Max removed from case, no issues at all.
2021-9-23
Use props
MiamiC70
lvl.3
United States

Check this video out re: OM5 vibration. Ridiculous, I hope people are being fired over this.

https://youtu.be/RzIIdEWgt2g

2021-9-23
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

MiamiC70 Posted at 9-23 12:53
Check this video out re: OM5 vibration. Ridiculous, I hope people are being fired over this.

https://youtu.be/RzIIdEWgt2g

Just watched your video and it stands out like a sore thumb that you didnt centre the clamp in the middle of the phone, whats it like when centered.
2021-9-23
Use props
MiamiC70
lvl.3
United States

AlanHd Posted at 9-23 21:24
Just watched your video and it stands out like a sore thumb that you didnt centre the clamp in the middle of the phone, whats it like when centered.

First, not my video. Second, sure thing buddy whatever you have to tell yourself to feel better.
Plenty of people having the exact same issue except for the usual  online shills. I mean “influencers”.
2021-9-24
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

MiamiC70 Posted at 9-24 19:09
First, not my video. Second, sure thing buddy whatever you have to tell yourself to feel better.
Plenty of people having the exact same issue except for the usual  online shills. I mean “influencers”.

Whys it make it me feel better, simple fact it wasnt centered properly. Not going to pull a product down when the initial setup isnt done correctly. I still think the motors are at the limit for larger phones but you cant do an objective test when its not balanced correctly.
2021-9-25
Use props
ozrobg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 402976 ft
Australia

AlanHd Posted at 9-25 02:26
Whys it make it me feel better, simple fact it wasnt centered properly. Not going to pull a product down when the initial setup isnt done correctly. I still think the motors are at the limit for larger phones but you cant do an objective test when its not balanced correctly.

Have had OM5 for 2 days, As others have found vibration and shut down with case on (iPhone 12 Pro, with Tech21 case) - problem only occurs in portrait mode. Without case there is no evidence of vibration.

Have cut spaces out of side of case so that clamp grabs on the phone, this helped greatly but still have the occasional vibration and warning message in portrait mode.

Also, during videoing there is very noticeable motor noise recorded on video, but only when in portrait mode (case on or off same noise problem).

Now regretting purchase of this product
2021-9-25
Use props
ozrobg
lvl.1
Australia

kevtun Posted at 9-20 23:07
Hi, I'm also facing the same issue. I was using my OM5 literally just 2 or 3 mins for the very first time, and all of the sudden during my recording the gimbal vibrate like crazy and totally fail. i using with iphone 12 pro max.

Have had OM5 for 2 days, As others have found vibration and shut down with case on (iPhone 12 Pro, with Tech21 case) - problem only occurs in portrait mode. Without case there is no evidence of vibration.

Have cut spaces out of side of case so that clamp grabs on the phone, this helped greatly but still have the occasional vibration and warning message in portrait mode.

Also, during videoing there is very noticeable motor noise recorded on video, but only when in portrait mode (case on or off same noise problem).

2021-9-25
Use props
ozrobg
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-10 20:32

2021-9-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules