1054 0 2021-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansafba915c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30869 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have some serious confusion about the Ronin RS-2 Expansion Base Kit configuration. I have the Ronin set up on a glidecam/steadi-type rig, and have been getting acquainted with it for the last month or two without too many issues. However, I initially had it set up with both long power/control cables, and today I rebuilt the rig to use only one of the cables to help tidy it up and have less possibility of snagging. The key issue I'd like help resolving if at all possible is that my currrent configuration DOES transfer power through to every component, including the gimbal itself. However, it does NOT transfer control from the tethered control handle to the gimbal. Here's my configuration:

PREFERRED CABLING PATHWAY (currently runs power, but NOT control) (SEE DIAGRAM BELOW)
(1) Battery Powered Adapter (DC OUT — with Ronin battery attached) feeds to ->
(2) (DC IN) Tethered Control Handle feeds to ->
(3) (M4) Expansion Port (DC OUT) feeds to ->
(4) (DC IN) Universal Base mount (with RS-2 Gimbal connected)

DIAGRAM

DIAGRAM

Again, this causes power to feed through to all components, but DOES NOT allow Tethered Control Handle to control RS-2 (completely unresponsive focus dial, buttons, etc).

Here's the configuration that DOES work for both power and control, but requires TWO long cables to run in a seemingly redundant fashion:

KNOWN WORKING CABLING PATHWAY (requires 2 cables where one should suffice, but runs power AND control)
Battery Powered Adapter (DC OUT — with Ronin battery attached) feeds to ->
(DC IN) Universal Base mount (with RS-2 Gimbal connected) feeds to ->
(M4) Expansion Port (DC OUT) feeds to ->
(DC IN) Tethered Control Handle

Before anyone makes a simple dismissal that I'm "doing it wrong", I want to acknowledge that my preferred solution is not how configuration is illustrated in the (somewhat non-comprehensive) Expansion Base Kit User Manual. But....why? The same cables that carry power also carry comms. And if power wasn't feeding all the way through the system, I'd obviously have less of a case that my configuration was sound, and *should* work. But power feeds, and the M4 port/expansion Port's DC OUT to the Universal Base Mount's DC-IN seems like an obvious pathway to send both power AND control, since the cable is one and the same.

I know this is a bit to wrap your head around, but....please help?

2021-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules