10347 44 2021-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

How do you hand take off and catch the little champ and switch it off (if you do of course)?

My current routine, that kind of works, is for take off:
hold her before me (from underneath behind the gimbal) lay the controller to rest on that arm too and hit the normal takeoff procedure...
The issue is that it is slightly fiddly, I need an extra hand for full convenience...

For landing is more straight forward, I make her hover in front of me, grab the underside of the body, again well behind the gimbal and turn her 90 degrees sideways to shutdown the motors.
While this works okayish most of the time, the champ also has a mind of her own and goes up (or course to avoid the "hand obstacle") when you are not quick enough. Yesterday she slightly scratched me with a propellor when I was going to quickly (unlike my hand, the propellors where unharmed and the flight was stable as always after the incident fortunately).

I wondered if some kind of neckstrap is available for the controller so you can be a bit more flexible controlling the champ?
Could not find something like that in the dji store though.

How do you hand takeoff/land?

Alternatively for handlanding could be to create your landing space.
I know there are also takeoff/landing pads, but the ones I saw were cloth like and do not equalize the ground anymore than it is.
2021-9-10
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31263 ft
United Kingdom

For takeoff I find it much easier to tap the “auto takeoff” button on the left of the screen which brings up the digital  button which is much larger and requires you to hold and release, don’t touch that yet though.

I then balance the drone in my outstretched left hand. With my right hand it’s easy to hold the controller + phone and press the large takeoff button. The drone launches once you release your thumb from the button.

For landing I simply bring the drone to about head height and put my outstretched left hand underneath it, if it moves up I know I’m in the right spot. With my right hand I simply hold the stick down to initiate a landing onto my hand. I use control scheme 3 which makes it easier for me to do this one handed.

This technique works well for me, means I’m not fighting the drone or having to hold the controller awkwardly.  
I also have a landing pad for days when hand catching isn’t feasible, it’s a hard square that folds up into an A5 size for storage.
2021-9-10
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

gothi Posted at 9-10 23:59
For takeoff I find it much easier to tap the “auto takeoff” button on the left of the screen which brings up the digital  button which is much larger and requires you to hold and release, don’t touch that yet though.

I then balance the drone in my outstretched left hand. With my right hand it’s easy to hold the controller + phone and press the large takeoff button. The drone launches once you release your thumb from the button.

Aha …
Takeoff we do similar I understand…

The landing using scheme 3 allows you to control the landing with the right stick, correct?

You have a hard landing pad?  Did you make that yourself or can you buy those?

BTW I do find third party neck straps….
2021-9-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same as you pretty much although Im dabblinging with a lanyard and this mount you can make.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4499731
2021-9-11
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Take off: start the motors. Then push up the drone fast. Doing that he starts spinning faster and hangs in the air.

Landing: get the drone closer by, get ready underneat. The pull the left stick down to start landing sequence and catch it in the middle when it is landing. As it is in landing sequence it powers down when catched.

I had some problems with small particals of sand in the gimbal. Had them blown out with a rocket blower I use for my photo equipment. Since there is very little space around the gimbal and it seems to be much disturbed by sand than my M2P, I now take off by hand.
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 9-11 00:15
Same as you pretty much although Im dabblinging with a lanyard and this mount you can make.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4499731

Yeah… that would help, I quess

Just ordered one of those, different type though, to try that out.
Kind of a thirt hand….

Do you also turn the drone sideways to stop the motors or do you also do a landing procedure on your hand? I actually thought doing the latter, it would not conclude it landed…. But a lot do it that way, I read. So apparently it works…. Something to try
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

JohnDG Posted at 9-11 00:44
Take off: start the motors. Then push up the drone fast. Doing that he starts spinning faster and hangs in the air.

Landing: get the drone closer by, get ready underneat. The pull the left stick down to start landing sequence and catch it in the middle when it is landing. As it is in landing sequence it powers down when catched.

The sand is also my worry… I have my rocket blower also standby, but if I can avoid using it, I prefer to. It was also kind of discouraged to use canned air I have for computer stuff, so the rocket blower should be applied very gently if needed I quess.
Nex time I will checkout the landing procedure on my hand.

If there a reason why you do not use the takeoff procedure from hand?
Perhaps because it always goes up that meter or so? Because you can make it hover without ascending?
2021-9-11
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

It all depends on my location at the time for takeoff. If able to takeoff from dust/debris free flat solid platform then I just use app display procedure.
On other surfaces such as longer grass that would interfere with the propellors then I use a pop-up landing pad pinned to the ground at 3 points.
I would also do the same for beaches, dusty areas etc etc....

On the landings, I must admit almost 100% of time to hand catching ensuring that I have ceased recording first.
I hold the left hand joystick down method and wait until motors stop. I never turn drone fast to the side to stop motors as I don't believe that that is a normal action for the drone.
A lanyard attached to the RC will certainly aid in the procedures of taking off and landing although I don't use mine all the time.
2021-9-11
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-11 00:06
Aha …
Takeoff we do similar I understand…

That's correct, whilst I didn't move over to that control scheme for this reason, height/altitude being on the right stick makes it much easier to comfortably hold the controller with one hand and descend the drone into the other.

I bought the landing mat, have only used it a couple of times but it works really well.  This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08VJ3LPRC/
2021-9-11
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-11 01:35
The sand is also my worry… I have my rocket blower also standby, but if I can avoid using it, I prefer to. It was also kind of discouraged to use canned air I have for computer stuff, so the rocket blower should be applied very gently if needed I quess.
Nex time I will checkout the landing procedure on my hand.

the only reason I do not take of from tve hand is when I get a hard clean surface or using the landing pad.
On my M2P I got leg extenders. Those keep the drone further from the ground. And the M2 series are less affected by dust, except when taking of from a beach.
Take of is not so difficult. Hand landing is a bit more risky for the hands.
2021-9-11
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

I extend the right arm, hold the controller with the left hand, rest the controller on my biceps, do the stick maneuver and then just pull up. Theres another method that I do sometimes, which is (after the motors are engaged OFC XD) just remove the hand quickly or "throw the drone" up and it will count as a takeoff.

To land just extend my hand under the drone, wait for it to detect it and move the stick down.

PS: I use mode 3 on the controller.
2021-9-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live on a boat so I always hand launch and recover.  After a bit of practice it comes easier.  If you haven't seen this video I highly recommend you give it a watch.

2021-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always take off and land by hand, and always do it by holding it with my left hand in a grip from underneath, using one finger from that hand I turn it on,
With the controller in my right hand, I then use the elbow from my left arm to press the left joystick and use my right hand to hit the right joystick to turn on the motors.
I then gently raise the ac to the level I want to take off from and either give it a little jerk to engage take off and let go or I will throw it, that's fun to do.

Catching is the opposite, I bring it down to above head height in a pincer grip, extend my hand so it makes the ac rise so I know I am in position, then left stick down and grip, the bot sticks in the middle like I did above to start it.

I cant video it as i only have my phone, i may try one day though
I don't like the flat hand idea, that can go bad in several ways, i also do not like the tilt 90º as that sounds like the poor thing is screaming
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

yogi053 Posted at 9-11 02:34
It all depends on my location at the time for takeoff. If able to takeoff from dust/debris free flat solid platform then I just use app display procedure.
On other surfaces such as longer grass that would interfere with the propellors then I use a pop-up landing pad pinned to the ground at 3 points.
I would also do the same for beaches, dusty areas etc etc....

WoW…. The lanyard and normal landing procedure seem to been used most of the time.

Turning the drone is not popular i sense….
I must admit you really need to put your back in that too, a little.
It is resisting like a gyroscope

Thanks
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

gothi Posted at 9-11 03:03
That's correct, whilst I didn't move over to that control scheme for this reason, height/altitude being on the right stick makes it much easier to comfortably hold the controller with one hand and descend the drone into the other.

I bought the landing mat, have only used it a couple of times but it works really well.  This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08VJ3LPRC/

Hi gothi,

I understand the switch in controls… but I got used to the way it works standard now (a bit, do not have real skill yet). The lanyards mentioned also, will perhaps also do the trick.
But I will keep it in mind.

That landing pad looks the part too. Thinking of buying that. Looks better than cloth ones…
But in order at the moment, a cover with lanyard, larger joysticks and as experiment extra height landing gear (although I do not expect that to reduce the dustrisk in cases where I use hand takeoff and landing…..) are already ordered… but… it really does look good, doesn’t it?
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

JohnDG Posted at 9-11 03:26
the only reason I do not take of from tve hand is when I get a hard clean surface or using the landing pad.
On my M2P I got leg extenders. Those keep the drone further from the ground. And the M2 series are less affected by dust, except when taking of from a beach.
Take of is not so difficult. Hand landing is a bit more risky for the hands.

Okay… I ordered landing gear myself this morning, but do not expect to resolve everything.

Landing is indeed more risky… she bit me, see picture

Hand

Hand

2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 9-11 04:00
I extend the right arm, hold the controller with the left hand, rest the controller on my biceps, do the stick maneuver and then just pull up. Theres another method that I do sometimes, which is (after the motors are engaged OFC XD) just remove the hand quickly or "throw the drone" up and it will count as a takeoff.

To land just extend my hand under the drone, wait for it to detect it and move the stick down.

Takeoff sound like I do/did?
But throwing it in the air…. OMG…

Your landing seems in line with a lot of others and I need to try that.
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-11 04:26
I live on a boat so I always hand launch and recover.  After a bit of practice it comes easier.  If you haven't seen this video I highly recommend you give it a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiOB3W9XtQ

Ohhhhh… I think I did pick up the lay it on her side procedure from this video.
Picked up th wrong priorities….

Silly me (was on holiday, one ‘pichet’ of wine too much, I guess )…
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 9-11 06:49
I always take off and land by hand, and always do it by holding it with my left hand in a grip from underneath, using one finger from that hand I turn it on,
With the controller in my right hand, I then use the elbow from my left arm to press the left joystick and use my right hand to hit the right joystick to turn on the motors.
I then gently raise the ac to the level I want to take off from and either give it a little jerk to engage take off and let go or I will throw it, that's fun to do.

Lol!!!

Taking off, you sound like an acrobat!

Landing…. Well… nobody seems to use my old(!) procedure and the common procedure does seem Tom make way more sense….
Why didn’t I … well…. You know… well… actually… no… what was I thinking…

Thanks again!
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Very useful tips everyone!

Thanks a ton!
2021-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-11 08:39
Okay… I ordered landing gear myself this morning, but do not expect to resolve everything.

If you care about such things, the landing gear will put you over the 250 gram weight.
2021-9-11
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-11 09:04
If you care about such things, the landing gear will put you over the 250 gram weight.

Yeah … I know…

I don’t expect it to resolve any issues either.
It is just an experiment, but when you look at everything that is blown away when you fly on approximately 1m above the ground….. I called that little maniak a leaf blower on holiday.
So an additional 2-3 cm height will not make much difference for that I guess
2021-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gothi Posted at 9-11 03:03
That's correct, whilst I didn't move over to that control scheme for this reason, height/altitude being on the right stick makes it much easier to comfortably hold the controller with one hand and descend the drone into the other.

I bought the landing mat, have only used it a couple of times but it works really well.  This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08VJ3LPRC/

Been after one myself, just keep putting it off as I have the round one already and it fits in my Flipside 400 AW nicely, not to mention, I rarely take off from the ground now, its 99% hand launch, but my mate does prefer ground launch, so... does that one come with the pegs, doesn't look like it does?
2021-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch, was that a flat hand job? ooer, Mrs lol
2021-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-11 09:00
Lol!!!

Taking off, you sound like an acrobat!

Sounds it i suppose, the aim is to pick up the drone 1st and place it in your hand in such a way as you will launch it and be able to reach the power button with said the same hand, you're actually hitting the power button with the back of your fingernail
Doing the CSC is really easy, just keep the drone flat and as far from your head as possible, the same arm bent a little, and take the controller, to that elbow, if you take the elbow to the controller then you prob end up too close to your self, remember to keep the drone still once you've started it, or use slow movements to position it until you are ready to take off, nothing worse than a screaming bird trying to get away from you, yep, still on about a drone lol.
2021-9-11
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

[Image]

the mini2 is very low to the ground and because its formfactor there's not much space between the body and the gimbal. Using extention legs on a M2P has more effect than on the mini2.

And yes, I saw you experienced a bad handcatch.
I only do it out of necessity. The bigger the drone and the more powerful the motors, the severity of wounding gets bigger.

One advice: never try to catch it from above. Watch some video's on youtube how to catch a drone. And exercise, exercise,...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiOB3W9XtQ
2021-9-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just don't do what I did once and catch it by hand from above. Strangely enough I would do it all over in the same circumstance ;-)

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220460
2021-9-11
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-11 14:51
Been after one myself, just keep putting it off as I have the round one already and it fits in my Flipside 400 AW nicely, not to mention, I rarely take off from the ground now, its 99% hand launch, but my mate does prefer ground launch, so... does that one come with the pegs, doesn't look like it does?

You’re correct, no pegs included unfortunately. It’s fairly sturdy and I’ve never felt the need to peg it to the ground yet, if the wind was so strong as to affect the mat I’d probably hold it down with my foot on a corner.
2021-9-11
Use props
PeterKiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 262749 ft
Slovakia

Hi, I use simmilar procedure as others already mentioned.
(classic stick mode)
Take off - extended right arm slightly above my head, initialize take off on the mobile screen, when the drone start lifting just release it.
Landing - catching with right arm, left stick down, gimbal facing towards me, same height as during take off, when you catch the drone it slows motors down and shutdown them. I do not like to flip it, it can cause calibration errors.
Heavier wind when there is a risk to your fingers - landing onto hard open flat surfaces (street), or "drop" (turn motors manually off) to taller grass where is no risk of damage.
2021-9-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-11 01:27
Yeah… that would help, I quess

Just ordered one of those, different type though, to try that out.

I usually flip it upside down to kill the motors.   But only on the Mini not the m2p.
2021-9-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-11 08:52
Ohhhhh… I think I did pick up the lay it on her side procedure from this video.
Picked up th wrong priorities….

2021-9-12
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 9-11 18:19
Just don't do what I did once and catch it by hand from above. Strangely enough I would do it all over in the same circumstance ;-)

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220460

@johnDG

Catching her from above does not seem like a good idea…. Like Gary proved…

But another acrobat! Steering both a powerboat and a drone.
WoW…. I need an acrobat course
2021-9-12
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

PeterKiss Posted at 9-12 00:29
Hi, I use simmilar procedure as others already mentioned.
(classic stick mode)
Take off - extended right arm slightly above my head, initialize take off on the mobile screen, when the drone start lifting just release it.

Ow…. Not yet in to drop her out of the sky like that.
2021-9-12
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 9-12 00:33
I usually flip it upside down to kill the motors.   But only on the Mini not the m2p.

Lol…. We know someone with a 2 pro… man… he had a small incident flying in house to drain the batteries… he forgot the RTH altitude and it jammed the ceiling. He literally could not get it off and could only emergency stop it.

Flipping that would be a struggle I guess
2021-9-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 9-12 02:58
Lol…. We know someone with a 2 pro… man… he had a small incident flying in house to drain the batteries… he forgot the RTH altitude and it jammed the ceiling. He literally could not get it off and could only emergency stop it.

Flipping that would be a struggle I guess

You can do it,  but you really feel how much more power it has.
2021-9-12
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Today tested the landing by just make it descent on my hand.
Like a lot of you guys seem to do.
Like the advice from the youtube video.

And as expected after all that good input, it worked sweet.

The lanyard is still in order, so sometimes I used my big-ass bikesaddle (for my …-… <beep>) to rest the controller on.

Also changed the controls to fly FPV and customized the joysticks to have forward/backward combined with turning left/right.
Not sure if that’s going to be a keeper
2021-9-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

FPV is not standard in operation among DJI drones; on some models the view tilts with the yaw but on others it tilts with the roll.
2021-9-12
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 9-12 14:35
FPV is not standard in operation among DJI drones; on some models the view tilts with the yaw but on others it tilts with the roll.

perhaps I was too rough on the controls, causing the footage to be "wild".
It seemed to me that the gimbal simulated the action on turning, not on yaw.
2021-9-13
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Practice makes perfect.
Also for hand landing....
Not quite there yet, but fortunately my middle finger is still unharmed and usable.

Today's lesson was : do not try handlanding when the wind is unpredictable, even when it seems quiet as some point.
Not many fingers left though......

16CFAFCB-4D47-43A4-8647-C6587041EB7D.jpeg FFE5D4A5-ADC9-42FE-90EC-B200F0D1CEA4.jpeg 05CEC9A9-AD0A-40E2-AFBA-BB5C76BE4AB2.jpeg
2021-9-13
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

https://www.amazon.com/Arzroic-S ... d=1631286008&sr=8-3 I use this, it keeps the controller/ phone fairly level and hands free!This has better balance than the 3D printed version.
2021-9-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules