Couple questions about FPV
342 6 2021-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimboSlice
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2935351 ft
Belgium

Hi, this is the first time that i bought a 'proper' fpv drone, i've flown quite a bit with cheaper stuff. But let's say that i have some flight hours under my belt
That said, i'm really looking forward to having a lot of fun with this one.

I noticed a couple things tho.

My phone uses the dji goggles battery to charge up its own battery. Is there a way to turn this off..? I prefer to just maximise the battery for my goggles only.

I noticed there is a usb c connector on the drone itself, for what exactly is this used?
2021-9-11
Use props
coyotejuice
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8235935 ft
United States

You do not have to have a phone tethered to operate the drone.  Use it for updates or an occaisional fly along.  The USB C on the drone is used for updates via a PC and for transfereing recorded video or images to PC it operates similar to a flash drive in this respect as it shows up in windows as a drive.
Clarification:  you have to have a sd card in the bird to transfere images there is not user accessible memory in the drone or goggles.  You also have the option to record from the goggles, from the bird or both.  recording directly from the bird will give the best image.

Enjoy
2021-9-11
Use props
TimboSlice
lvl.4
Belgium

coyotejuice Posted at 9-11 02:32
You do not have to have a phone tethered to operate the drone.  Use it for updates or an occaisional fly along.  The USB C on the drone is used for updates via a PC and for transfereing recorded video or images to PC it operates similar to a flash drive in this respect as it shows up in windows as a drive.
Clarification:  you have to have a sd card in the bird to transfere images there is not user accessible memory in the drone or goggles.  You also have the option to record from the goggles, from the bird or both.  recording directly from the bird will give the best image.

Thanks for the reply! Doesn't the phone have to be connected for GPS functionality?
That's also a good point to record from the bird itself... Didn't realise it could make a difference.
My initial thought was to record from the goggles itself. But i'll try both
2021-9-11
Use props
coyotejuice
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8235935 ft
United States

The FPV system is all inclusive.  the only reason to attach a phone to it is to update the firmware or as a second view screen.  Telemetry does not show up on the second screen view.  The bird has GPS and all supporting hardware software to fly all by itself and it does a pretty peachy job of it.  I have attached my phone 3 times in the last 180 flights.  All three times were for firmware updates.  Phone is just not needed on this one.  Just make sure you wait until you have acquired GPS signal prior to taking off.  (Bottom Right corner of HUD).  for better automated landing when taking off ascend to around 30 feet and pause for 1 second before forward or lateral motion.  Somehow this sets a photo of where it come from so that it lands in about the same spot.  I have tried it and it does work most of the time.
When you record with the goggles you are going to get the same artifacting dropouts etc that you see through the goggles.  it works fine at close ranges but the farther you get the poorer the video is at the goggles.  I record both and have it set to begin recording at takeoff.  If there is nothing worth saving on the flight i simply format the card before I shut down so it is ready to go for next flight.
2021-9-11
Use props
TimboSlice
lvl.4
Belgium

coyotejuice Posted at 9-11 04:30
The FPV system is all inclusive.  the only reason to attach a phone to it is to update the firmware or as a second view screen.  Telemetry does not show up on the second screen view.  The bird has GPS and all supporting hardware software to fly all by itself and it does a pretty peachy job of it.  I have attached my phone 3 times in the last 180 flights.  All three times were for firmware updates.  Phone is just not needed on this one.  Just make sure you wait until you have acquired GPS signal prior to taking off.  (Bottom Right corner of HUD).  for better automated landing when taking off ascend to around 30 feet and pause for 1 second before forward or lateral motion.  Somehow this sets a photo of where it come from so that it lands in about the same spot.  I have tried it and it does work most of the time.
When you record with the goggles you are going to get the same artifacting dropouts etc that you see through the goggles.  it works fine at close ranges but the farther you get the poorer the video is at the goggles.  I record both and have it set to begin recording at takeoff.  If there is nothing worth saving on the flight i simply format the card before I shut down so it is ready to go for next flight.

Thanks for the information! Can't wait to go and try it all out.
2021-9-11
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You do not have to have a phone tethered to operate the drone.  Use it for updates or an occaisional fly along.  The USB C on the drone is used for updates via a PC and for transfereing recorded video or images to PC it operates similar to a flash drive in this respect as it shows up in windows as a drive.

Very, very well explained !

2021-9-11
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

You do not have to have a phone tethered to operate the drone.  Use it for updates or an occaisional fly along.  The USB C on the drone is used for updates via a PC and for transfereing recorded video or images to PC it operates similar to a flash drive in this respect as it shows up in windows as a drive.

Yup very well said.
Also the goggles rez is much lower than the drones. I think the goggles are only 780 vs the 4K of the drone
2021-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules