Software issues - updates
1680 21 2021-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hunterws
lvl.4
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Seems I'm not the only one that is irritated that this company can make the technology, they put in the engineering, pre-manufacture tooling, post-manufacturing tooling testing, then off to get tested and packaged.  The one part they can't seem to bring up to par .... software.  I have said it before and made to think I'm crazy and stupid ............ well ............. this guy says it best on video.  I'm not alone in my observations and experience.  

2021-9-12
Use props
Abel nt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77398 ft
Spain

Totally correct
2021-9-12
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

So true !
But the issue is that the poeple always want to be the first to get the newest type of technology and that as cheap as possible.
Even Mercedes in Germany build in a cheaper fuel injection ( like other parts) instead of the good ones from Bosch just to earn a few Euros more, which caused
a lot of recalls and did cost more at the end than they could earn with the cheaper parts.
All in all it's the mindset of the people not the cheap build tools, machines or hobby gadets.
2021-9-12
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

MySky Posted at 9-12 10:01
So true !
But the issue is that the poeple always want to be the first to get the newest type of technology and that as cheap as possible.
Even Mercedes in Germany build in a cheaper fuel injection ( like other parts) instead of the good ones from Bosch just to earn a few Euros more, which caused

"the issue is that the poeple always want to be the first to get the newest"

Thanks, but I disagree with your math.  

By your thinking, a drone that was put on the market in Nov, should be perfected, polished, and amaze you with features, today.  

That does not hold true.

2021-9-12
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

The term "polished" is ambiguous.
People just want the features to work as described and would prefer not having to re-flash to previous firmware versions in order to make their drone function correctly.
2021-9-12
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

MBSL500 Posted at 9-12 11:38
The term "polished" is ambiguous.
People just want the features to work as described and would prefer not having to re-flash to previous firmware versions in order to make their drone function correctly.

Polished ... as in... foolproof and error free.
If fools can still foul it up, it's not polished.
2021-9-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

hunterws Posted at 9-12 11:52
Polished ... as in... foolproof and error free.
If fools can still foul it up, it's not polished.

2021-9-13
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

a VIDEO? Why? Can't people even READ nowadays?
2021-9-13
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Anything made/designed by a human, can fail....
Period...
2021-9-13
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 9-13 12:07
Anything made/designed by a human, can fail....
Period...

Sure.  As well, anything electronic can be designed to be foolproof and polished.
Never said fail-proof.
2021-9-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

hunterws Posted at 9-13 12:14
Sure.  As well, anything electronic can be designed to be foolproof and polished.
Never said fail-proof.

Not really.
2021-9-13
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

Sure it can.  You're in denial.  How invested are you?
2021-9-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

hunterws Posted at 9-13 14:01
Sure it can.  You're in denial.  How invested are you?

If you think ANYTHING can be made foolproof, you are ignorant. Someone will find a way to screw it up.
2021-9-13
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-13 14:18
If you think ANYTHING can be made foolproof, you are ignorant. Someone will find a way to screw it up.

No, I think DJI should attempt to take a swipe at making it foolproof, as of now, they have not.
You have to understand what an STK file is, and how to install it, just to make it work!  Can't download the app from THE APP STORE .... sorta thing.
2021-9-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hunterws Posted at 9-13 14:25
No, I think DJI should attempt to take a swipe at making it foolproof, as of now, they have not.
You have to understand what an STK file is, and how to install it, just to make it work!  Can't download the app from THE APP STORE .... sorta thing.

I thought it was a legal standpoint as to why its not in the Google Play Store, not got anything to do with poor programming perse'. i.e. google blocked it due to not conforming to their T&C's or sommat of the like, no?
2021-9-13
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

due to not conforming ................ when every other app .............................. does
2021-9-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 9-13 15:44
due to not conforming ................ when every other app .............................. does

Not so ... it goes back to that Trump vs China nonsense
2021-9-13
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

lol ... ok, so you're out of argument already?
2021-9-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hunterws Posted at 9-13 16:40
lol ... ok, so you're out of argument already?

Why is he out? he just answered your reply
I am sure I read the reason as being because DJI had added the ability to force updates and google didn't like that
If that's the case, its nothing to do with poor programming

Side note, I see the app is on the Galaxy store but its old, 1.4.0
2021-9-13
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Bashy Posted at 9-13 18:03
Why is he out? he just answered your reply
I am sure I read the reason as being because DJI had added the ability to force updates and google didn't like that
If that's the case, its nothing to do with poor programming

It would be easier for many of us if you just could download it from the google store. It might be a not complient issue to the appstore or just a policy. None of the parties involved (DJI & Google) made it clearer to us what's the real reason.

What a lot of us seem to forget is that we're dealing with a piece of fine technology. Software, firmware is a major part of controlling this little computer we send into the sky. Same as we update the firmware of a lot of our technologic things, we do that for our drones too. Is it to fix some things people encounter using in daily life or to get new possibilities. Don't forget testing in a lab in ideal conditions with people who know how to handle them as they designed them is different from people with no or less technical knowledge in the field. When you put something out, it will be used diffently as you thought it would.

It is not just DJI, but I encountered problems with other companies. As long they are willing to correct them.
2021-9-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I spose it would be easier to grab it from the Play Store, having to grab it from DJI just means one or two more step(s) are required, it doesn't bother me a great deal because unless its a major update that fixes say the pixilation when facing the sun sometimes or the slight black flicker or the gimbal dodgyness, failing that, I wont bother as I see no point as it won't be beneficial to me. I also turn off auto-update from the DJI apps anyway, I need to due to using aftermarket fixes ;)

Whilst i agree that other electronics get an update, normally they still work as they should in the meantime, I have a good few wifi devices that get updated periodically, such as, Hive, Yale lock, Ring doorbell Pro, wifi light bulbs and many more, but, like I said, they work anyway, unlike this DJI Fly app, for many, it does not work as it should, for a £500+ bit of tech, that is not acceptable, but the worst part is, the speed that they work to fix or implement things Is excruciatingly slow, just look at the SDK as a prime example. My phone gets a security updates on a regular basis and a bigger updates for the 1st few years, we know when, what and who gets them because Samsung produce a list of which models and a rollout timeframe, My Alexa devices get routine updates and regularly adds new features, Amazon announces these too.  

I also understand that Android can be a pain as there are many different devices, but there are hundreds of thousands of apps in the Google Play store that work across most if not all of the devices, granted, the older ones do get left behind but thats understandable.

Another gripe thats related to the above, why not keep the customers updated in one place as well, I don't mean once every 6 months cause that just takes the wee wee, keep up us up to date with the progress and with an eta. We pay a lot of money, we do deserve at least a modicum of respect for that.

Ok, I'm rambling on here, carry on...
2021-9-13
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
United States

"it doesn't bother me a great deal" .... but is not up to industry standard to have to get your app from a 3rd party site and side-load an app.  And, it does bother me.
Looks fishy, along with android problems for fcc users.  Very fishy.
2021-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules