Pocket 2 vs. OM5
9638 21 2021-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
Flight distance : 163862 ft
United States

The new OM5 looks like it packs down very small and has 6 hours battery life.  No need to transfer video from the Pocket 2 to the phone, it's already on the phone.  Putting the Pocket 2 in the extension rod and connecting the phone can be a little tedious, everything is self contained with the OM5.  What can the Pocket 2 do that you can't do with the OM5?  I'm thinking of switching over.
2021-9-13
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

I can take pocket 2 in very tight spaces where OM5 with a mobile wont be able to shoot, they both have different usage.
2021-9-13
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
United States

Ranjan Posted at 9-13 17:44
I can take pocket 2 in very tight spaces where OM5 with a mobile wont be able to shoot, they both have different usage.

That is true.  However, I can't remember ever using the Pocket in that way.  I've played around going through some small openings with it, but I've never needed to get a specific shot that way with it.
2021-9-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Viva Terlingua. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The DJI OM 5 is foldable and lightweight and was designed to fit in the palm of your hand. That means you can easily take it along for any adventure. And for the first time, DJI have included a built-in extension rod, letting you include more friends in a selfie or capture footage from unique new angles. For additional reference I will post a link where in you can find the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI OM 5. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/om-5?site=brandsite&from=nav
2021-9-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have sold my Osmo Mobile and gotten a Pocket 2 instead.
I edit my video's on my PC, so it does not matter where there are for me (I still need to transfer them from).
Furthermore, I use the gimbal for motion timelapses a lot and I did not want to have to put my phone somewhere for a very long time being occupied doing filming.
So yeah, it is personal I guess.
2021-9-14
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Montfrooij. Had not thought consciously of these.
2021-9-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-14 00:00
I have sold my Osmo Mobile and gotten a Pocket 2 instead.
I edit my video's on my PC, so it does not matter where there are for me (I still need to transfer them from).
Furthermore, I use the gimbal for motion timelapses a lot and I did not want to have to put my phone somewhere for a very long time being occupied doing filming.

You make some very valid points, especially about tying up your phone while filming timelapses.  
2021-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Marty Markoe Posted at 9-14 03:10
Thanks Montfrooij. Had not thought consciously of these.

You're welcome!
That's the nice thing about forums
2021-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-14 05:12
You make some very valid points, especially about tying up your phone while filming timelapses.

Yeah, I thought it would be handy using my phone, but it turned out it is more handy to have a separate device.
Also the P2 is quite a bit smaller compared to the Osmo Mobile (1)
2021-9-14
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-14 05:33
Yeah, I thought it would be handy using my phone, but it turned out it is more handy to have a separate device.

One thing I'm hesitant about is setting up shots.  I like to take hiking videos, some of the shots are setup using the Pocket 2 on a tripod.  It's pretty easy to aim the camera where you want using the app.  I'm afraid setting the same shots up with the OM5 might be a little trickier.
2021-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Viva Terlingua Posted at 9-14 06:48
One thing I'm hesitant about is setting up shots.  I like to take hiking videos, some of the shots are setup using the Pocket 2 on a tripod.  It's pretty easy to aim the camera where you want using the app.  I'm afraid setting the same shots up with the OM5 might be a little trickier.

That should not be a problem as you can see everything on a 'big' screen right?
2021-9-14
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-14 07:53
That should not be a problem as you can see everything on a 'big' screen right?

Unless the camera/phone is down low.
2021-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Viva Terlingua Posted at 9-14 08:02
Unless the camera/phone is down low.

Well, I think you will be good.
Unless the screen is facing towards a wall that you can't get behind or something.
2021-9-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Really these are different tools for different jobs.  For instance, if you are making "city walk" videos, the inconspicuous Pocket 2 is a much better choice than a bulky phone on a chunky gimbal.  The surround sound from the Pocket 2 would also be hard to match with a phone.  That is but one example of hundreds I could think of.  And of course it works the other way round too.   Though I am struggling to think of an example where a phone would be demonstrably the best tool.  Of course if you have a phone with a good camera and you don't want to pay a whole lot for a Pocket 2, then a gimbal for the phone makes economic sense.
2021-9-14
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-14 16:03
Really these are different tools for different jobs.  For instance, if you are making "city walk" videos, the inconspicuous Pocket 2 is a much better choice than a bulky phone on a chunky gimbal.  The surround sound from the Pocket 2 would also be hard to match with a phone.  That is but one example of hundreds I could think of.  And of course it works the other way round too.   Though I am struggling to think of an example where a phone would be demonstrably the best tool.  Of course if you have a phone with a good camera and you don't want to pay a whole lot for a Pocket 2, then a gimbal for the phone makes economic sense.

In my case that’s only partially true.  I have the extension rod and because of the hassle of taking it in and out of the extension rod (removing the control stick and storing it, lining up the Pocket 2 and sliding it in place, closing the clasp, firing up the mimo app and connecting to the Pocket), I pretty much leave it in the extension rod all of the time.  In the extension rod it’s not really any less conspicuous than the OM5.

That being said, I do acknowledge that on it’s own the Pocket 2 is much smaller and more portable than the OM5.  I was just wondering if I was willing to deal with the larger form factor of the OM5 if there were any features I’d be giving up.  One thing I’ve seen in the reviews is that the gimbal of the OM5 doesn’t have as much angle of tilt as the Pocket 2.
2021-9-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-14 05:33

I bought a slightly used P2 and have found that having a separate mobile device is much better than tying up my main mobile device.  Never bought the OM.  
2021-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-15 02:49
I bought a slightly used P2 and have found that having a separate mobile device is much better than tying up my main mobile device.  Never bought the OM.

I totally agree.
But I did try the OM1 first to figure that out.
2021-9-15
Use props
Japan Potato
lvl.4
Italy

I‘m filming hundreds of city walking videos and with the Pocket 2 I’m basically invisible. Not many people notice me filming. With any other of my heavy camera and gimbal rigs it’s a whole different story. I hope the Pocket 3 will get an 1 inch sensor, IBIS (like the new iPhones), proper HDR filming capability in 4K, while keeping the same form factor. Then I’ll probably say good bye to my heavy gear.
2021-9-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Japan Potato Posted at 9-15 09:46
I‘m filming hundreds of city walking videos and with the Pocket 2 I’m basically invisible. Not many people notice me filming. With any other of my heavy camera and gimbal rigs it’s a whole different story. I hope the Pocket 3 will get an 1 inch sensor, IBIS (like the new iPhones), proper HDR filming capability in 4K, while keeping the same form factor. Then I’ll probably say good bye to my heavy gear.

P3 with a 1" sensor and keep the same overall size as P2 would be fantastic.  
2021-9-16
Use props
djiuser_QGLOEbOuL9Oq
New
Flight distance : 1916 ft
Canada

Tried P2 and om6. P2 it has all spec that most low end phones don’t have and P2 is integrated with everything you need but it did heat up to make you worry.om6 heat up my iphone 11.Hope they fix it on P3 which should be out next month with 8k and swappable battery. Story mode is awesome. Om6 very well built but cannot walk around shoot without intimidation  P2 , when I walk around ppl amazed by how tiny and funny and cool but don’t know the powerhouse of it. With om6  you walk around like you just landed in moon and doing selfie to the outsider. Om6 you can extend the the pole but you could get extendable monopod for your p2.  Both for different purpose. P2 definitely you can do creative close ups and view unreachable area. put that on motorized slider. P2 you can control it wirelessly from your phone which is insanely creative and discreet shot in nature.  P3 i wait,  hopefully doesn’t heat up and comes with 8k 240f and mic and underwater housing combo and nd filters.
2022-10-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It sounds like you want the Pocket 3 to be something like the Ronin D in a consumer version - so do I - will it happen?  Hmmm.
2022-10-5
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Occasionally, I have noticed that despite the small size of the Pocket 2, some people have gotten very curious about it. For instance, when I was filming a car parade at my local market square, a man came towards me and asked: "Sorry to interrupt you, but what on earth is that thing?"

Well, it wasn't about the size I think, it was probably more due to my behaviour. On the size respect, I do think that the Pocket 2 could be a bit less attention-provoking.
2022-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules