I am seriously disappointed in the MYTHBUSTER'S CREW
1562 12 2015-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

After seeing this preview of a upcoming Mybusters episoide,  my respect for these ultimate hackers (a positive word) has plummeted.   Holding a Drone motor/prop on a stick and pressing slowly into a dead chicken,  a real world and scientific experiment?  Not by a long shot, can you just imagine the "regular folks" clamoring for federal and state laws outlawing these DEADLY drones!

2015-7-28
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

If a UAV is going to hit someone, it will hit them with some speed and the motor will stop.
The only way this could be an issue is if we all had stealth quads that snuck up on someone and slowly pressed into their skin.
Maybe there could be a "Blue Thunder" version that DJI could bring out. Then maybe we should be worried.
2015-7-28
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

colin.buckle Posted at 2015-7-29 06:57
If a UAV is going to hit someone, it will hit them with some speed and the motor will stop.
The only ...

Exactly!

I had to look up Blue Thunder,  looks like a interesting movie from 2006!
2015-7-28
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

There was a poster here that almost lost some fingers from the props. Here is another video of someone coming into contact with the props.

http://news.epicinter.net/guy-fl ... sty-cut-to-the-arm/
2015-7-28
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

Depends on the scale/power of the beast..

A P3 would give a nasty bite, but not much to worry about.

A miniquad the impact would hurt more than the props.  

An S1000 however, with 15" carbon props would do some serious damage...
2015-7-28
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-7-29 07:49
There was a poster here that almost lost some fingers from the props. Here is another video of someo ...

Didnt he have prop guard on? I Thought i could see them in the video
2015-7-28
Use props
ebonovic
lvl.1

United States

Preview?    I actually watched the episode just the other night.

Not to be a "spoiler"... but the concerns you listed... ARE addressed.   
AKA, they don't just test it with a prop-on-a-stick.  That was just their feasibility case, to set their baseline
2015-7-28
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

They showed a slow-mo of a real prop on a flying drone hitting it and it did nothing.

The props actually deformed instead. The carbon-fiber reinforced ones however did not. They will slice and dice.

You might get a cut if it bites you just right or comes at you fast, but they even said drones like the P3 with the regular props are generally safe.
2015-7-28
Use props
klintb
lvl.1

United States

You might want to watch the ep before condemning them.  The conclusion is plastic props will not do much damage if at all and are generally safe.  The only damage they could do from an actual flying drone was using carbon fiber blades on a huge octo heavy camera lifter.
Heck the video I saw from Adam on the inspire one is what convinced me DJI was the company do buy from.  They both own and fly Inspire ones.
2015-7-28
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

I didn't know that the episode had already aired.. I saw this today on one of my technology related emails.  So apparently they posted a misleading video advertising a episode to drum up viewers for the actual episode.  I have Mythbusters set to record on my DVR but I am behind in watching them.  Sigh... I don't have time to work,  got too much of other stuff do!   LOL
2015-7-28
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I do think they showed that it isn't very dangerous - but it *can* be dangerous. Which it can.

I was happy that they did not sensationalize - but rather downplayed the danger.
2015-7-28
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

A nitro Heli with 600 mm carbon fiber blades will cut a head off a body, a size 40 nitro engine airplane main blade would send someone to the hospital to get a finger stitched together ( ahem ahem ), all of them are dangerous but the main thing is they go with the flow regarding what's hot in the news.
2015-7-28
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

mythbusters are mot making  science anymore, just a show.
2015-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules