Pocket 2/Action Cam: Can you activate them and have others use them?
3018 10 2021-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ResearcherSteve
lvl.1

United States

Hi all,

I do research where we send people out cameras to record things like product use and was thinking about using either the Pocket 2 or Osmo Action cam. I was wondering though if I activated a bunch of them with my account (say a dozen) and then sent them out to people around the US would they be able to use them independently of the app/without having to log in?

In other words, do you need to be near your phone app to use the Pocket 2 or Action cam? And does it occasionally require you to log in to your app to keep using?

thanks a lot,

Steve
2021-9-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Can't remember seeing any mentions of needing to connect the Pocket 2 to a phone or tablet after the initial activation was done. I only have activated one though, and have no experience about the Osmo Action. But I have been able to use the Pocket 2 as a stand-alone unit after the initial, obligatory activation.
2021-9-15
Use props
ResearcherSteve
lvl.1

United States

Thanks very much--I was hoping that was the case. It would seem counterintuitive to require a regular connection with a device that's oriented to travel and adventure.
2021-9-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Steve. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. As posted above you may use the DJI Osmo Action and the DJI Pocket 2 without connecting the said DJI cameras to a mobile device when in use. It will work fine without a mobile device attached, but you won't have access to the DJI Mimo applications features. Thank you.
2021-9-15
Use props
ResearcherSteve
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-15 19:34
Hello there Steve. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. As posted above you may use the DJI Osmo Action and the DJI Pocket 2 without connecting the said DJI cameras to a mobile device when in use. It will work fine without a mobile device attached, but you won't have access to the DJI Mimo applications features. Thank you.

Thank you Stephen, I appreciate it. I ordered a Pocket 2 to give a test run!
2021-9-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only need mobile device for activation.  Pocket 2 works great without being connected to a mobile device.  Pocket 2 is small and lightweight so will be fairly cheap for shipping to your users.  Best of luck with this project.   
2021-9-16
Use props
ResearcherSteve
lvl.1

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-16 04:25
Only need mobile device for activation.  Pocket 2 works great without being connected to a mobile device.  Pocket 2 is small and lightweight so will be fairly cheap for shipping to your users.  Best of luck with this project.

Thanks! The small size is definitely a plus. It'll be a lot easier for folks to lug around than what we're currently using (small Canon camcorders)--probably more fun for people too.
2021-9-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

ResearcherSteve Posted at 9-16 05:09
Thanks! The small size is definitely a plus. It'll be a lot easier for folks to lug around than what we're currently using (small Canon camcorders)--probably more fun for people too.

You're very welcome Steve.    Hope you have a great weekend.
2021-9-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ResearcherSteve Posted at 9-16 02:49
Thank you Stephen, I appreciate it. I ordered a Pocket 2 to give a test run!

Hi there Steve. You are very much welcome and thank you for purchasing the DJI Pocket 2. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-9-20
Use props
ResearcherSteve
lvl.1

United States

Thanks both, I got it last night and am impressed so far--my wife was even wow'd and that's saying something!
2021-9-21
Use props
djiuser_47ly17ArsEvt
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Oh dear, I brought a Pocket 2 from ebay and the serial number is locked. I sent a message to the seller and their reply was.SERIAL NUMBER IS LOCKED !!!  No RETURNS.
Have I just brought a useless pocket 2, can they only be registered once to an owner and not sold for new users from auction sites or shops like CEX or cash converters. Is it possible to get activated to a new user.

2021-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules