Apple IPhone dimming to the point of being black in sun and heat
720 14 2021-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KryosChaos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1572595 ft
United States

Has there been any progress yet about using an iPhone in even moderately warm / direct sunlight and keeping it from dimming.  It has been established that it is a result of the fly app pushing the phone to high limits and causing the phone  to go into survival mode.  Has this been resolved or is it being addressed in the firmware or software update.  Please advise as it is getting old.
2021-9-17
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The app really isn't overheating the phone, it's mostly heat generated by the screen display when you turn the brightness all the way up in order to see in sunny conditions. My phone also overheats just using the maps or my geocaching app. I suspect black phones are more prone to overheating when in direct sun, but all will absorb radient heat so try to stay in the shade on hot days.
2021-9-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We strongly suggest toggling off the option to charge the mobile device when connecting to the remote controller to avoid overheating. In addition, you may want to check the available monitor hood on our store website as this protects the smartphone screen in strong lighting conditions, reduces glare, and provides a clear image. You may refer to the link below. Thank you for your valued support.

https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... roller-monitor-hood
2021-9-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I doubt the App is overheating your iPhone.  I use a sun hood and try to stay in the shade when possible and don't experience any mobile device overheating.  
2021-9-18
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-17 19:47
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We strongly suggest toggling off the option to charge the mobile device when connecting to the remote controller to avoid overheating. In addition, you may want to check the available monitor hood on our store website as this protects the smartphone screen in strong lighting conditions, reduces glare, and provides a clear image. You may refer to the link below. Thank you for your valued support.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air-2-remote-controller-monitor-hood

I will look at verifying that the charging is not turned on.  as far as the shield that is frankly way more expensive than almost all of them on Amazon that are not nearly the cost.  they honestly dont’ seem to do the job that well but that is not the issue.  I will look into the charging being the issue.
2021-9-18
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 9-17 19:00
The app really isn't overheating the phone, it's mostly heat generated by the screen display when you turn the brightness all the way up in order to see in sunny conditions. My phone also overheats just using the maps or my geocaching app. I suspect black phones are more prone to overheating when in direct sun, but all will absorb radient heat so try to stay in the shade on hot days.

It could be the video generation concept because in the bright sun i will sometimes crack the brightness all the way up but today i ran the phone in bright sunlight while running mapmyride for almost 2 hours and it was not cold but it was cool and zero issue with the phone.  I was not flying but i will look at that as a potential resolution as well.
2021-9-18
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-18 05:29
I doubt the App is overheating your iPhone.  I use a sun hood and try to stay in the shade when possible and don't experience any mobile device overheating.

if it is not the app… it maybe features in the app… They did mention making sure charging is not turned on and someone else pointed out that it could be a result of running the app at full brightness to compensate for the external brightness.

2021-9-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

KryosChaos Posted at 9-18 14:05
if it is not the app… it maybe features in the app… They did mention making sure charging is not turned on and someone else pointed out that it could be a result of running the app at full brightness to compensate for the external brightness.

In any case I hope you get it sorted out.  Have a great day.
2021-9-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

KryosChaos Posted at 9-18 13:48
I will look at verifying that the charging is not turned on.  as far as the shield that is frankly way more expensive than almost all of them on Amazon that are not nearly the cost.  they honestly dont’ seem to do the job that well but that is not the issue.  I will look into the charging being the issue.

Thank you for your response. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Take care always.
2021-9-20
Use props
fans954bafa8
New
Austria

Turning off charging option is NOT fixing it. It is an issue with the app being poorly optimized for iOS and only happening since a few updates! This is ridiculous and affecting 100s of users with iOS! Just read your own forums!
2021-9-21
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

fans954bafa8 Posted at 9-21 04:14
Turning off charging option is NOT fixing it. It is an issue with the app being poorly optimized for iOS and only happening since a few updates! This is ridiculous and affecting 100s of users with iOS! Just read your own forums!

That is my fear...
2021-9-21
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-19 02:20
In any case I hope you get it sorted out.  Have a great day.

I will try again shortly but atm I have not had a chance to duplicate the scenario
2021-9-21
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-17 19:47
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We strongly suggest toggling off the option to charge the mobile device when connecting to the remote controller to avoid overheating. In addition, you may want to check the available monitor hood on our store website as this protects the smartphone screen in strong lighting conditions, reduces glare, and provides a clear image. You may refer to the link below. Thank you for your valued support.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air-2-remote-controller-monitor-hood

this did not fix a thing... i believe it resides within the fly app and frankly, there is so much chatter that it is a problem that I have a very hard time believing otherwise
2021-10-5
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Lemme guess.....1.4.8???
2021-10-5
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States