DJI Fly App kicks out when I start recording or take a photo
1603 30 2021-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

So first flight since I updated to DJI Fly version 1.4.8 (1185)
Startd my flight.  Started recording 4K 30FPS using Samsung Evo Plus 128GB SDXC Class 10 U3
I have always used Sansung after too many issues with SanDisk and never had an issue.
About 4 minutes into my flight my App disconnects.  I still have control of the drone.
I reload DJI Fly.  I click Go Fly, I am back in.  I land safely.  I start to try and troubleshoot the issue.
Seems that not every time, but most times when I start recording or take a photo.  The app crashes.
Again, still have control of the drone, I can reload Go Fly and get connected again.  But real pain in the ass.
Anyone else experiencing this, or know of a fix?

Thanks!

2021-9-19
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Just email support.  You'll get 20 different answers here, chase your tail and still have an issue.
2021-9-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific mobile device are you using? Also, could you please try to uninstall and reinstall the app on your mobile device to see if the issue persists? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2021-9-19
Use props
djiuser_qixeN93pSLce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 991706 ft
Mongolia

Hi there. I have the same issue. Using DJI Fly version 1.4.8 (1185) I started snapping pictures this evening and my screen froze. I still had control of the drone. I am using a Pixel 3. This has happened multiple times now.

It's a really serious problem. I hope there is a solution.
2021-9-20
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_qixeN93pSLce Posted at 9-20 01:46
Hi there. I have the same issue. Using DJI Fly version 1.4.8 (1185) I started snapping pictures this evening and my screen froze. I still had control of the drone. I am using a Pixel 3. This has happened multiple times now.

It's a really serious problem. I hope there is a solution.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. This happened on my Asus ZenPad 7 Tablet. Haven't tried in my phone yet Samsung Galaxy S10e. May test today to rule it out as the one specific device.
2021-9-20
Use props
Berty
lvl.4
Mongolia

Mhinc Posted at 9-20 01:50
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. This happened on my Asus ZenPad 7 Tablet. Haven't tried in my phone yet Samsung Galaxy S10e. May test today to rule it out as the one specific device.

Lets us know how you get on. I am going out to another site tomorrow for a photo shoot. I can't think of anything else to try, but I'll pipe up if I think of something.
2021-9-20
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

hunterws Posted at 9-19 15:48
Just email support.  You'll get 20 different answers here, chase your tail and still have an issue.

I find the answers here WAY better than the so called support from DJI...
2021-9-21
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

That really kinda sucks….
I had the app crashing once, but on IOS…
Does not feel good
2021-9-21
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-19 18:05
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific mobile device are you using? Also, could you please try to uninstall and reinstall the app on your mobile device to see if the issue persists? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Galaxy S10e and Asus ZenTab 7.
Reinstalled on both devices.  Same thing happens.  This is not an issue with my devices, it's an issue with your software.  Many others are complaining about it in other threads.  This is a very serious issue, to constantly loose the visual on the app.  This HAS to be a known issue?  It's happening on both the stable and beta versions of the most recent version.  I get it happening on just a beta but 1.4.8. is a joke all around and huge cluster F&%K!
2021-9-21
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

So I just downgraded to Go Fly 1.4.4 and did a test flight on my Asus ZenTab 8.0 ( Sorry I was saying 7 before )
Model Z380M

The issue still persists.  I have narrowed it down though.  The only time the app kicks out is when I STOP recording.  I can start recording.  Or take photos, but the moment I stop recording
the fly app kicks out and goes back to the GO FLY screen.
This never happened before, but now since I have downgraded with the same setup, I am starting to wonder if it's something else.
The only thing I haven't tried is a different SDCard.  Currently recording in 4K 30FPS using Samsung Evo Plus 128GB SDXC Class 10 U3
Wonder if the card itself needs a format or is having issues.  Thing I am going to try another 64GB card I have now and see if that makes a difference.
I will report back once I have tested.

UPDATE

Did some fruther testing on the ZenPad.  Same thing happened with another fresh formated 64GB SD Card.
Then I got to thinking.  What could be happening that causes the app to crash when I STOP recording.  So I turned off Video Caching
( Currently in the zenpad it's caching to the internal memory of the tablet because I have not put in an SDCard )
Turned off caching and problem solved.  I don't know if this is specifc to this table.  I don't know if it will still happen if it's writing the cached video to an SDCard
in the tablet rather than the internal memory,  But for now I work nights, and it's way past my bed time so I will report back again when I do further testing.  For now, it's working with Video Caching turned off.

2021-9-21
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Mhinc Posted at 9-21 09:09
I find the answers here WAY better than the so called support from DJI...

you got me there!!!  
2021-9-21
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Did you confirm after your first flight after downgrade, the app remained 1.4.4?
If you're connected to the internet, and have auto-download enabled, it could have re-'upgraded' you to 1.4.8
2021-9-21
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Berty Posted at 9-20 05:32
Lets us know how you get on. I am going out to another site tomorrow for a photo shoot. I can't think of anything else to try, but I'll pipe up if I think of something.

I figured out my specific issue. It was happening when I stopped recording, I was writing cached video to the internal tablet memory. Turning off video caching solved my issue. I'm gonna stick an SD Card in the tablet at a later date and turn the caching back on and see if it still happens when it's writing to the SD card instead of internal memory. Not sure if this is the same issue you have. But it's worth a shot turning off your video cache to at least test.
2021-9-21
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Ahh, no memory card in the tablet and writing cache to it .... that could very well get it confused taking in HD footage.
Good catch!
2021-9-21
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

hunterws Posted at 9-21 11:42
Ahh, no memory card in the tablet and writing cache to it .... that could very well get it confused taking in HD footage.
Good catch!

Never had the issue before, mind you my other drones don't record in 4K, so I am guessing the tablet has a hard time with it.  I am going to try tossing in a 32GB SDXC U3 SD Card in the table and see if it works.
I will update the results

2021-9-21
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

I just ordered 2 new cards.  It's one component that's best to have the latest and greatest, and they're not all that expensive, as well have a 5-star rating.
U3 - Class 10  (the mini2 can take 256g)

Have any updates?

2222.JPG
2021-9-25
Use props
Berty
lvl.4
Mongolia

I have been lent two old phones to try and help with troubleshooting. I was using a Pixel 3 and every flight resulted in the app crashing. I'm currently using an iPhone 6 and the app has not crashed yet. I also have a Samsung Galaxy 6 which I will try as soon as the weather clears up in a few days.
2021-9-25
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

hunterws Posted at 9-25 10:58
I just ordered 2 new cards.  It's one component that's best to have the latest and greatest, and they're not all that expensive, as well have a 5-star rating.
U3 - Class 10  (the mini2 can take 256g)

Posted this the other day

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=250135

If you want a laugh.  Read the reply from the DJI MOD

2021-9-25
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

hunterws Posted at 9-21 11:42
Good catch!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 with 64 GB internal memory (44 GB free) and no memory card.
Version 1.4.8, cache enabled. Drone equipped with Sandisk Ultra 128 GB U1 memory card.
4K, 30 FPS recording working perfectly.
2021-9-26
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Mhinc Posted at 9-25 18:25
Posted this the other day

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=250135

UGH, they're so helpful.  It raises my eyebrow that's the first thing they always go to on any issue, what device are you using.  Why?  Every other app has been optimized to work with systems, or certain specs ... yet, , , they always want to know your device.  If it's a processor issue, tell us minimum, if it's a network issue, tell us what network.  They won't do it, which looks shady.  If they wanted to cause issue to a certain region, say ... FCC region ... they could.  In recent events .... are they?  
The way they do warranty, service and care work .... is very telling of who they are, and they just don't care.  (even if you pay them to care)

On the card, I need to delete that photo, it's a reported fake by multiple recent posts, if you ordered it, cancel it.  I'm looking at samsung SD cards and will update the cards I have on hand.  
2021-9-26
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 9-26 02:38
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 with 64 GB internal memory (44 GB free) and no memory card.
Version 1.4.8, cache enabled. Drone equipped with Sandisk Ultra 128 GB U1 memory card.
4K, 30 FPS recording working perfectly.

That's because you're not using full recording ability ... just a small cached version?
That would be a workaround, I prefer expecting all options to be available ;)
2021-9-26
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

hunterws Posted at 9-26 08:41
UGH, they're so helpful.  It raises my eyebrow that's the first thing they always go to on any issue, what device are you using.  Why?  Every other app has been optimized to work with systems, or certain specs ... yet, , , they always want to know your device.  If it's a processor issue, tell us minimum, if it's a network issue, tell us what network.  They won't do it, which looks shady.  If they wanted to cause issue to a certain region, say ... FCC region ... they could.  In recent events .... are they?  
The way they do warranty, service and care work .... is very telling of who they are, and they just don't care.  (even if you pay them to care)

Exactly, I have no idea what the point of the MODS even is.  They are useless, all they do is provide copy and paste, template replies, and their answers are more infuriating than helpful.  And in my case, it's got nothing to do with the tablet.  It's THEIR software not allowing DJI Fly to cache to SD Card.  Complete DEV issue, but again, blame the device.  
2021-9-29
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4425230 ft
United States

I had the same issue until I bought new SD cards.  I too was SanDisk.  Hope your issue is resolved by now
2021-9-29
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

scubaAnn Posted at 9-29 06:21
I had the same issue until I bought new SD cards.  I too was SanDisk.  Hope your issue is resolved by now

Didn't end up being my SD Cards.  I stopped using SanDisk years ago when they went to crap.  I am still blown away how many people swear buy them.  I use Samsung Exclusively now for everything.
It ended up being an issue with the video trying to cache to the internal tablet memory.
The only way to stop it was to stop it from happening was to turn off video caching in the DJI Fly app. Unfortunately, since DJI can't develop an App properly, even if I place an SD Card in my tablet I can't force it to cache to the external card instead of internal memory.
2021-9-29
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Stay on 1.4.2 version, which mention in release note
2021-9-29
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
United States

Mhinc Posted at 9-29 22:27
Didn't end up being my SD Cards.  I stopped using SanDisk years ago when they went to crap.  I am still blown away how many people swear buy them.  I use Samsung Exclusively now for everything.
It ended up being an issue with the video trying to cache to the internal tablet memory.
The only way to stop it was to stop it from happening was to turn off video caching in the DJI Fly app. Unfortunately, since DJI can't develop an App properly, even if I place an SD Card in my tablet I can't force it to cache to the external card instead of internal memory.

Yep, I'm leaving SanDisk too.  I've also had a similar problem with my SC.  But everything seems to be up and running smoothly.  I guess I like my cache on.  There will be that day I crash my drones in the water to never be found.  I'll def need therapy.
2021-9-30
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

scubaAnn Posted at 9-30 04:43
Yep, I'm leaving SanDisk too.  I've also had a similar problem with my SC.  But everything seems to be up and running smoothly.  I guess I like my cache on.  There will be that day I crash my drones in the water to never be found.  I'll def need therapy.

I like my cache on as well. But I guess I'm SOL for that right now. And I bought this tablet for a stand alone for my mini 2. Because my 32bit NVidia Shield K1 Tablet that is my Spark stand alone of course doesn't work.... So ya. I'm a whole lot of peeved off!
2021-9-30
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
United States

Mhinc Posted at 9-30 05:07
I like my cache on as well. But I guess I'm SOL for that right now. And I bought this tablet for a stand alone for my mini 2. Because my 32bit NVidia Shield K1 Tablet that is my Spark stand alone of course doesn't work.... So ya. I'm a whole lot of peeved off!

Oh no.  Yes, I agree with the stand alones.  I like having that option to use with multi drones as well, like with the SC.  Kinda worried that the Pro3 won't be compatible with the SC v1 and I'll have to buy a controller as well instead of a stand alone.  So then will probably be 3k.
2021-9-30
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

scubaAnn Posted at 9-30 05:17
Oh no.  Yes, I agree with the stand alones.  I like having that option to use with multi drones as well, like with the SC.  Kinda worried that the Pro3 won't be compatible with the SC v1 and I'll have to buy a controller as well instead of a stand alone.  So then will probably be 3k.

I'm on my 3rd DJI product. Phantom 3 Standard, Spark and now Mini 2.  The absolute lack of not only support, but knowledgeable support, had put me at my wits end. Come on. Who puts out a so called drone for what DJI calls "a beginner drone" that only supports Arm64 Archatechture.
Let's admit and say what everyone is thinking. DJI is in with the big boys like Apple and Samsung to make sure people are buying up the newest Flagship devices. And let's not forget the lack of the ability to use the mini 2 controller on the DJI Flight Sim, you'd think a "beginner drone" would have that option. I'm going to an Autel Evo Pro 2 for my next purchase. I know a few that own Autel and they are apparently superior with support and located in North America. I've Flow my friends "orange brick" aka the Evo 2 pro and wow, what an amazing drone.
2021-9-30
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
United States

Mhinc Posted at 9-30 05:29
I'm on my 3rd DJI product. Phantom 3 Standard, Spark and now Mini 2.  The absolute lack of not only support, but knowledgeable support, had put me at my wits end. Come on. Who puts out a so called drone for what DJI calls "a beginner drone" that only supports Arm64 Archatechture.
Let's admit and say what everyone is thinking. DJI is in with the big boys like Apple and Samsung to make sure people are buying up the newest Flagship devices. And let's not forget the lack of the ability to use the mini 2 controller on the DJI Flight Sim, you'd think a "beginner drone" would have that option. I'm going to an Autel Evo Pro 2 for my next purchase. I know a few that own Autel and they are apparently superior with support and located in North America. I've Flow my friends "orange brick" aka the Evo 2 pro and wow, what an amazing drone.

Never tried Autel.
2021-9-30
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Autel is also manufactured in chiner, but their support is superior!
2021-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules