3731 10 2021-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skoch87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109288 ft
France

Hey !

I'm received a new Mini 2 from the service care and I don't remember my previous one couldn't stay still in hover flight.
It's a bit annoying when you're trying to catch an object moving while the rest of the landscape should stay still.

Is is normal or is it malfunctioning ? I've recalibrated the compass already. I've tried outside with full GPS, and inside with no GPS.

At 6s, you can see it drifting a little.

Thanks for your replies
2021-9-20
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Never flied indoors but I think that small drifting is quite acceptable.
2021-9-20
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Learn about dynamic of air and how is influenced the pressure by objects around, and you will get your answer.
2021-9-20
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Indoors, it's just looking down, there are no locks, like when you're outside and get a GPS 'lock'.
If it drifts outside with no errors and more than 10 satellites locked .... then you have issues.

Indoors it's just not as stable.  I fly through my window at times to fly locally from my 5th floor.  First thing I do is land on the outside ground, get satellites, lock home point, double check things, now I'm good to go.
2021-9-20
Use props
skoch87
lvl.1
France

hunterws Posted at 9-20 09:12
Indoors, it's just looking down, there are no locks, like when you're outside and get a GPS 'lock'.
If it drifts outside with no errors and more than 10 satellites locked .... then you have issues.

hello hunterws,
thanks for your reply, it helps.
I've tried outside on the edge of a roofing (I was trying to take a picture of a crack outside the house) and it drifted a lot (20cm).
Is it possible it's because under the drone, the soil was very close (the roof) but also very far (the ground) ?
I'll try to do some more testing outdoor next time, thanks !
2021-9-20
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

No problem.
When you were outside, did it have at least 10 satellites?   That's the only thing I can think of of why it would drift.   Changes in altitude shouldn't throw it off, nor should it get confused by what type of material it is over.

Admins will ask what your device is to fly with, what do you use the mini with?
(is it on the compatibility list?)
2021-9-20
Use props
skoch87
lvl.1
France

hunterws Posted at 9-20 09:22
No problem.
When you were outside, did it have at least 10 satellites?   That's the only thing I can think of of why it would drift.   Changes in altitude shouldn't throw it off, nor should it get confused by what type of material it is over.

18 satellites.
To me GPS isn't precise enough to the point that a drone is going to stay still.
With infrared, I figured that when it was looking down, it would get mixed signal, with very close ground (the inclined roof) and further (the real ground).
I was very close to the house (maybe 20cm) and it drifted to the point that I had to act on command to make it avoid slam the wall ...

Let's see what admins say
2021-9-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

skoch87 Posted at 9-20 11:03
18 satellites.
To me GPS isn't precise enough to the point that a drone is going to stay still.
With infrared, I figured that when it was looking down, it would get mixed signal, with very close ground (the inclined roof) and further (the real ground).

Are your expectations unrealistic?
Consider the specs for hovering precision.
Hovering Accuracy Range
    Vertical: ±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning), ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
    Horizontal: ±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning), ±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)

It sounds like yours is within that range.

Let's see what admins say
Don't expect anything useful, if you hear from them at all.

2021-9-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there skoch87. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please fly your DJI Mini 2 outside in an open location so that the said DJI drone can receive a stable GPS signal for us see if the said error codes on the DJI fly application will show again. In addition, please be careful while flying indoors as the DJI Mini 2 stabilization feature may experience interference and might affect the said drone. If you really need to fly indoors kindly please use a DJI Mini 2 Propeller Guard and activate the Payload mode on the DJI Fly application. The DJI Mini 2 Propeller Guard protects the propellers and other objects from damage. Just a reminder that when the said drone's GPS is weak, the safety feature of the DJI Mini 2 will trigger and limits the height to 5 meters for safety purposes. Interference from other sources might have triggered the drone to move uncontrollably.  The Vision System of the DJI Mini 2 allows the aircraft to hover at low altitudes ( 0.5 to 10 m ), but the ground must have distinct textures, and there needs to be sufficient lighting. Thank you.
2021-9-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

skoch87 Posted at 9-20 11:03
18 satellites.

20cm is very close to an object considering it can drift past that, easily, i know as i use mine to free up my anemometer that's at 10m high, its hard work keeping it in a stable hover, to be honest, its nigh on impossible to keep it still, then add even a small amount of wind and things get a little more interesting. when standing below the mast, its much easier to see the amount of drift, the amount of minute inputs to try to keep it still is sphincter nipping...
2021-9-20
Use props
robpri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635066 ft
South Africa

They dont stay still indoors, you have much better satellite signal outdoors which helps a lot
2021-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules