DJI Mini 2 WONT STOP FLYING FOWARD! CRASHED!
1536 27 2021-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DronePilot567
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1507848 ft

United Kingdom

So was flying over a beach last week and when the battery got low and I flew it back, I suddenly noticed the drone was flying by itself foward (and no return to home wasnt on) which was a real safety hazard considering it could fly into someone! I tried pushing back and lowering which it did but it still wouldnt stop flying foward, I had to try and land it going full speed at 11mph in cine mode where it crashed into some pebbles as expected so it wouldnt hit anyone, but the drone is not meant to do this as had it for 5 months now as we all know it is meant to hover in place when no controls are being pushed, but end result was the gimbal broke and i even tried taking it off again and same thing happend with it flying foward and it crashed again, so clearly a fault happend with the drone or a system glitch as looking on the flight record it is shown at the end with a full pressure on the foward stick even though i wasnt and wouldnt do when trying to land it!! luckily its still covered by warranty so going to send it back and will hopefully get a free repair since it was caused by a fault with the drone and not me just crashing it!

Anyway have attached the flight record below and wanted to know what you guys think of all this, make sure you watch from 22:50 where it all started, if thiers a way to see controller movements like in the dji fly app then you will see the foward stick was on full pressure from then on which thats what the drone thought when it wasnt all the way till it crashed!

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BTAL8MI6743A7B2XS1RP

2021-9-20
Use props
Drone Killer
lvl.1
United States

I can't be of help to you but you might have helped me. My Mini 2 went forward on its own, from a hover, without my input and when I pulled back on the stick the drone dropped out of the air like a sack of potatoes (see post Crash of the Mini 2). I downloaded the log/flight data from my phone but was unaware that it could be decrypted. However, you appear to have at least converted the log so there's hope for me.

The basic flight info provided by the Fly app shows that the drone disconnect occurred simultaneously with a pull back of the right stick. The drone's direction didn't reverse or even slow, it just fell.
2021-9-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your flight, after reading your text.
Could not make good chocolate reading your story about what happend....

Last records in the chart.

Flying low ; 100% forward stick and 100% down stick, so your drone into ForceLanding at the end.

Forcelanding is initate with 100% stick down AND flying at VPS botten sensor height of 0.5 meter!

This is a normal feature of DJI drones ; hovering at 0.5 meter, stick down and it will enter a controlled landing, in the log a "ForceLanding"
BUT this also works flying with forward speed, even at max speed!
As the VPS height measures 0.5 meter (true or false! reading) AND 100% stick down for short moment than this landing is initiated by the pilot.
The only way to cancel this is UP stick for short moment.....

I asked DJI several times to change this in their software....easy fix is to ask (prompt on the screen) a pilot if he/she wants to land with forward speed....But dead silence from DJI....

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2021-9-20
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

AC in auto return to home at 1260 secs because low battery.
Your AC responded to your control inputs correctly for the whole flight.
Sorry but looks like pilot error.
Wishing you luck for a free repair.
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 9-20 11:43
Hi,

[Image]

Yes but you need to remember nearly all of that time I wasn’t actually pressing foward on the stick, the drone somehow thought I was which is probably the fault and it wouldn’t stop, also when in forced landing the aircraft decends downwards, not towards as that is in the programming and having used it for 5 months now never had it happen before.

So that does show its a glitch and not caused by me the pilot as the drone is not programmed to move foward in emergency landing unless the user pushes the stick foward which I didn’t but the drone still thought I did, hope that clears it up
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,

[Image]

Yes but you need to remember nearly all of that time I wasn’t actually pressing foward on the stick, the drone somehow thought I was which is probably the fault and it wouldn’t stop, also when in forced landing the aircraft decends downwards, not towards as that is in the programming and having used it for 5 months now never had it happen before.

So that does show its a glitch and not caused by me the pilot as the drone is not programmed to move foward in emergency landing unless the user pushes the stick foward which I didn’t but the drone still thought I did, hope that clears it up
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Pleomax Posted at 9-20 12:04

I can say swearing on my life that I did not push the drone foward when the fault started from the time I said, you could see me trying to push it backwards but it wouldn’t and you could see me desending when trying to land but it still had full pressure on the stick to land which a very compentent pilot like me would never do!

Luckily I was able to test the drone after it crashed and have another flight log that shows it immediately pushing forwards again after takeoff without me doing so which does show its a fault developed with the drone so very likely I will get the free repair under warranty since I have 2 flight logs of the fault happening where I also had to crash it in the sand for a second time
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Pleomax Posted at 9-20 12:04

If you watched it you will see I also stopped return to home when it got close enough and your not remembering that the flight log shows what the drone was thinking it was receiving by Input with the foward stick at full pressure the whole end of the flight to landing which I wasn’t doing,

Otherwise that would mean I’m just a crap pilot who was somehow trying to land the drone at full speed into the sand which I can assure you I’m not with 5 months expirence and a drone license
2021-9-20
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DronePilot567 Posted at 9-20 12:36
If you watched it you will see I also stopped return to home when it got close enough and your not remembering that the flight log shows what the drone was thinking it was receiving by Input with the foward stick at full pressure the whole end of the flight to landing which I wasn’t doing,

Otherwise that would mean I’m just a crap pilot who was somehow trying to land the drone at full speed into the sand which I can assure you I’m not with 5 months expirence and a drone license

You have 5 months experience and a drone license but can still make mistakes.
Max flight altitude in UK is 120m, yours is set to 500m.
Why did you stop RTH? You had plenty of low/critical low battery warnings.
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Pleomax Posted at 9-20 13:36

Your really not helping if your presuming that since I haven’t set a max altitude in a uncommon setting that I am somehow a reckless pilot that flys above 400 feet! I have never flown above that and have always been fully aware of it even before getting the drone but having the license all I have said above is true about me not flying it foward, if you refuse to not believe that then their is really no point in you in commenting a false evaluation on this thread
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Pleomax Posted at 9-20 13:36

Your really not helping if your presuming that since I haven’t set a max altitude in a uncommon setting that I am somehow a reckless pilot that flys above 400 feet! I have never flown above that and have always been fully aware of it even before getting the drone but having the license all I have said above is true about me not flying it foward, if you refuse to not believe that then their is really no point in you in commenting a false evaluation on this thread
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DronePilot567 Posted at 9-20 12:36

I also stopped rth when the drone was close to safely land it myself when around people on a beach!
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,

[Image]

Also that height reading wasn’t accurate as it was at least 30 feet in the air flying foward before I tried getting it down on the sand with it still flying foward
2021-9-20
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DronePilot567 Posted at 9-20 13:52
Your really not helping if your presuming that since I haven’t set a max altitude in a uncommon setting that I am somehow a reckless pilot that flys above 400 feet! I have never flown above that and have always been fully aware of it even before getting the drone but having the license all I have said above is true about me not flying it foward, if you refuse to not believe that then their is really no point in you in commenting a false evaluation on this thread

The app restricts you to 120m max unless you override this manually to a new max height yourself.
Did you?
You seem to be having some trouble with your Mini 2, did not RTH last time.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556
2021-9-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2021-9-20
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

This sounds like a failure of the right stick control to me. Notice how the pitch control value is erratic before going max and staying there. If you ever saw the tiny wires and connectors to those controls you would wonder how they could possibly hold up. One wire breaks contact and the control goes to max value because there is no fail-safe design like in automotive controls. I believe you in that you did probably not command that fast forward action.

p.s. This is where JJB comes back and tells me I am way off base ;-)

2021-9-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 9-20 18:35
This sounds like a failure of the right stick control to me. Notice how the pitch control value is erratic before going max and staying there. If you ever saw the tiny wires and connectors to those controls you would wonder how they could possibly hold up. One wire breaks contact and the control goes to max value because there is no fail-safe design like in automotive controls. I believe you in that you did probably not command that fast forward action.

p.s. This is where JJB comes back and tells me I am way off base ;-)

haha Gary,

Ofcourse not...

Failure of the fwd stick is possible, 100% input as signal with the stick in mid position.
Mayby after the repair in a test flight this will be seen again, or do a RC stick calibration and see this fault if it is a hard failure and not an on-off fail.

cheers
JJB
2021-9-20
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 9-20 23:06
haha Gary,

Ofcourse not...

Should I be sending in my rc controller as well as the drone for inspection?
2021-9-20
Use props
Yaros1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

JJB* Posted at 9-20 23:06
haha Gary,

Ofcourse not...

It might be, but not likely. In the stuck stick situation there is one button to save you - the pause / RTH button! Press it and the drone will stop no matter what, hold it and the drone will return to home!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works on the Mini 2...
2021-9-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DronePilot567 Posted at 9-20 23:38
Should I be sending in my rc controller as well as the drone for inspection?

try to calibrate your RC first, if connected and you see 100% fwd stick indication with the sticks neutral than you will know that your RC has a hard failure.

If not...nothing more frustrating to have an intermittent fail, as that is hard to reproduce and will show itself  again the next flight, or the #7 flight or....or the #? flight....

cheers
JJB
2021-9-21
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 9-21 01:59
try to calibrate your RC first, if connected and you see 100% fwd stick indication with the sticks neutral than you will know that your RC has a hard failure.

If not...nothing more frustrating to have an intermittent fail, as that is hard to reproduce and will show itself  again the next flight, or the #7 flight or....or the #? flight....

As said before the drone already crashed due to the fault with it flying foward and happend twice when testing after the first crash
2021-9-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just send in the drone and RC to get it diagnosed properly.   Best of luck.
2021-9-21
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yaros1 Posted at 9-20 23:46
It might be, but not likely. In the stuck stick situation there is one button to save you - the pause / RTH button! Press it and the drone will stop no matter what, hold it and the drone will return to home!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works on the Mini 2...

I think you are wrong. I no longer have my Mini 2, but with my Mini, I can definitely control the forward and reverse speed with the right stick during RTH.
2021-9-21
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My initial thought,  perhaps sand has got into the controller?
2021-9-21
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 9-20 23:46
It might be, but not likely. In the stuck stick situation there is one button to save you - the pause / RTH button! Press it and the drone will stop no matter what, hold it and the drone will return to home!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works on the Mini 2...

Drone was already in automatic landing due to low battery so was no way of stopping it flying foward
2021-9-21
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-21 17:12
My initial thought,  perhaps sand has got into the controller?

Of course not lmao, kept in my drone bag and no sand got anywhere near it, clearly a fault developed with the drone
2021-9-21
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

A friend has purchased a Mini 2 about two months ago. After a few flights, the RH control stick would not operate as intended. RC calibration, FW reload etc. did not cure the problem. He then was asked to return the drone and the RC for investigation/repair. About a week ago he received his equipment back with the RC replaced.
2021-9-22
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DronePilot567 Posted at 9-21 23:34
Of course not lmao, kept in my drone bag and no sand got anywhere near it, clearly a fault developed with the drone

I meant in the controller, sand can get everywhere, even without ya know it, was just a thought, you need to open a ticket with support...
2021-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules