Mini 2 unusable video quality fault
842 23 2021-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

All of a sudden my Mini 2 has unusable video. It's not been crashed and all looks in good condition.  i can no longer use video.  The footage is the same on the phone and the SD card.  The mini is only 3 months old with very little flight time :-(.  Any help would be appreciated, the Gimbal has been reset.

2021-9-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mrlossyman. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check if the firmware of your DJI Mini 2 is on its latest one and check if the said issue will still persist? Thank you.
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-21 02:52
Hello there Mrlossyman. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check if the firmware of your DJI Mini 2 is on its latest one and check if the said issue will still persist? Thank you.

Yes it has the latest firmware. Everything is up to date.  I can post more videos if needed?
2021-9-21
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

Propellers.. Bet they are damaged or bent.. Insepct/Change them and re-test...
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 9-21 02:55
Propellers.. Bet they are damaged or bent.. Insepct/Change them and re-test...

No damage to props..
2021-9-21
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

It could be two things:

- excess vibration from a prop, motor or damaged arm
- faulty gimbal

Did you notice any vibrations or strange sounds coming from the drone?
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 9-21 03:17
It could be two things:

If you check this video, the last 10 seconds at the end is when the issues started. You see the camera seems to start to malfunction.  This videos was taken before all the issues started.  It seemed to malfunction during the flight.

2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 9-21 03:17
It could be two things:

No strange noises and there doesn't seem to be any excess vibration.  As per the last post the issue started mid flight.
2021-9-21
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

Mrlossyman Posted at 9-21 03:23
If you check this video, the last 10 seconds at the end is when the issues started. You see the camera seems to start to malfunction.  This videos was taken before all the issues started.  It seemed to malfunction during the flight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYbMf-QQGo

Clearly a malfunction. As the shaking is quick I'd not suspect the drone (due to it's mass) to shake itself that effortlessly. I suspect the gimbal.
To troubleshoot further I'd start up the controller, the phone and the drone. Put in Follow mode.
Do not start the motors. When you have video, is the image stable? If not then film it and show DJI
Otherwise, lift the drone and tilt it sideways. The image should be stable (within reason).

Report back your findings.
2021-9-21
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Your videos show 2 different problems surely? The first where its wobbling, looks like vibration.. But the 2nd where the camera is moving on its own, looks like a fault.. But they look like different issues to me.
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 9-21 04:49
Your videos show 2 different problems surely? The first where its wobbling, looks like vibration.. But the 2nd where the camera is moving on its own, looks like a fault.. But they look like different issues to me.

The second video was shot first and it seems to be when the fault started (at the end).  Yes the camera started moving on it's own.  But all the videos shot afterwards are shaking.  The is not down to the drone shaking as you can see by just how much the video is distorted.  I will post another video now.
2021-9-21
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

Mrlossyman Posted at 9-21 05:08
The second video was shot first and it seems to be when the fault started (at the end).  Yes the camera started moving on it's own.  But all the videos shot afterwards are shaking.  The is not down to the drone shaking as you can see by just how much the video is distorted.  I will post another video now.

You ignore my hint to troubleshoot?
2021-9-21
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mrlossyman Posted at 9-21 05:08
The second video was shot first and it seems to be when the fault started (at the end).  Yes the camera started moving on it's own.  But all the videos shot afterwards are shaking.  The is not down to the drone shaking as you can see by just how much the video is distorted.  I will post another video now.

Still looks like vibration to me.. Thats exactly the effect you see, as the camera is running at a fixed frame rate and the vibrations make the video look wobbly or bent, depending on the frequency of the vibration which match a harmonic of the frame rate.

THe fact that the effect is changing in the first video, could mean that the frequency of the vibration is changing, and the only thing that generates variable frequencies like this is the motors.

I would still change the props, just to see if it helps...
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 9-21 05:11
You ignore my hint to troubleshoot?

No I actually went out and flew the drone.  At first the video was stable and then the issue started again but not so severe.  When I was walking with the drone it seemed OK.  I think theres some sort of electrical malfunction that keeps occurring.  Also when I stared the drone the gimbal was at 45 deg and didn't move.
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2021-9-21
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

After making sure you have all your gimbal isolators in place (check visually from underneath on the gimbal plate.
OK, with the props off, power up the AC, outdoors if possible, and let it fully boot, aquire sats. home point, etc.
Calibrate the gimbal, and if this completes successfully,then start recording, and watch your video feed, gently moving your AC in rotation/tilt. all good?
Then start the motors and repeat test, checking vid quality. Still all good?
Install the props and repeat testing.....and let us know...
2021-9-21
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

Mrlossyman Posted at 9-21 05:25
No I actually went out and flew the drone.  At first the video was stable and then the issue started again but not so severe.  When I was walking with the drone it seemed OK.  I think theres some sort of electrical malfunction that keeps occurring.  Also when I stared the drone the gimbal was at 45 deg and didn't move.

I asked you to not fly the drone but to follow some simple steps.
I understand that you know everything better than me so I will step back and quit this thread.
Thank you!
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 9-21 05:34
I asked you to not fly the drone but to follow some simple steps.
I understand that you know everything better than me so I will step back and quit this thread.
Thank you!

No I did follow your steps and the footage was OK.  But this seems very temperamental.    I appreciate your input and I'll post the footage shortly to youtube.  All the footage I'm posting is from yesterday.
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Flycaster Posted at 9-21 05:32
After making sure you have all your gimbal isolators in place (check visually from underneath on the gimbal plate.
OK, with the props off, power up the AC, outdoors if possible, and let it fully boot, aquire sats. home point, etc.
Calibrate the gimbal, and if this completes successfully,then start recording, and watch your video feed, gently moving your AC in rotation/tilt. all good?

is it OK to start the motors with the prop off?  Won't the motors over heat because of no load?
2021-9-21
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It will be fine to start the motors
2021-9-21
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41191 ft

Germany

#Quick Reply yes that's not right to look at ... looks awful.#
2021-9-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Most likely props.
2021-9-21
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Even if you think the props are fine, I would recommend trying to swap them out for a fresh set just as a point of debugging the issue.  They may not be the problem, but jello like that is quite frequently caused by prop/motor issues.  Its a very simple and quick thing to be able to test.
I've not had a problem with the rubber bands on any DJI gimbals, but I did have one of them come off on my Autel Evo 2.  I had to put it back on in order for the gimbal to function correctly again.  As others have mentioned, I would recommend you double check the rubber band isolators to be sure all of them are in good condition and connected correctly.
2021-9-21
Use props
Mrlossyman
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 9-21 08:28
Even if you think the props are fine, I would recommend trying to swap them out for a fresh set just as a point of debugging the issue.  They may not be the problem, but jello like that is quite frequently caused by prop/motor issues.  Its a very simple and quick thing to be able to test.
I've not had a problem with the rubber bands on any DJI gimbals, but I did have one of them come off on my Autel Evo 2.  I had to put it back on in order for the gimbal to function correctly again.  As others have mentioned, I would recommend you double check the rubber band isolators to be sure all of them are in good condition and connected correctly.

Hi, I changed the props and it made no difference.  I rechecked the bands on either side of the gimbal and they were all fine.  I've air dusted the whole gimbal mount and put a tiny amount of lubricant between moving parts.  I retested and the footage looked much better.  I'll take some video tomorrow and post.  
2021-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules