Official response from DJI regarding Air 2S noise...
3819 18 2021-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b9y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 704751 ft
United Kingdom

Ok so to confirm.

DJI confirmed:

1. The noise can happen in overexposed lighting, this is "normal" apparently.

2. The drone has a software algorithm employed, which is causing the noise. This will be looked at.

DJI will refuse to release a statement on the matter. The algorithm seems to look at the image as a whole, and adding ND filters will  obviously make  any dark areas become darker, and noise will increase as a result.

This also happens on the Mavic Air 2. Apparently, it doesn't happen on the M2P according to several conversations with M2P pilots, but I can't confirm 100%.

I've noticed noise even correctly exposed, in a nice blue sky.  It happens, it shouldn't, not even with a 1" sensor. It's a special type of noise I've NEVER seen before.

I've told them I will await updates.

2021-9-21
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1866086 ft
Netherlands

Same results here. I can work with it with noise reduction, but on the left and right side on my air2s it's heavier than in the rest of the frame. Balanced exposure, overexpose etc etc doesn't make a difference. I have never encountered this pattern in any camera in over 20 years that I'm making movies now (worked with a wide range of material)
2021-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue. Where did you contact our support team, please? Do you have original images for a further check? You may upload some original images to Google Drive or Dropbox, then share the link with us. Thanks.
2021-9-21
Use props
GeorgeFoxCinematography
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17232310 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you please upload an image pinpointing with an arrow the areas were you see the noise?

Thanks,
2021-9-22
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GeorgeFoxCinematography Posted at 9-22 01:07
Can you please upload an image pinpointing with an arrow the areas were you see the noise?

Thanks,

Yes it would be interesting to see the issue you are having.
2021-9-22
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Netherlands

I've uploaded 2 original shots in Dlog to the google drive for you to check out.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... uAAfdOI?usp=sharing

You'll notice the noise on the entire left and right side the most clear. All on iso 100 and of course with ND (original DJI sets ND). The thing is, the mini 2 or any most basic cam would not have these patterns in these situations. I really like the latitude the 10bit gives me and the drone is great. Our clients won't notice anything because we apply noise reduction but as a start the noise is just to prominent. Do watch at full res on a good monitor!
2021-9-22
Use props
LoveYou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16525367 ft
Greece

AlexanderK Posted at 9-22 03:21
I've uploaded 2 original shots in Dlog to the google drive for you to check out.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IjnyS1DHQ37EUVrfvr9VwHQuTuAAfdOI?usp=sharing

This Videos is from microSD or from Phone/Table Video Cache?
2021-9-22
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Netherlands

LoveYou Posted at 9-22 03:45
This Videos is from microSD or from Phone/Table Video Cache?

From the sd card of course.  Like i said: original files shot in dlog (not cache or lowres proxy clips etc).

2021-9-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlexanderK Posted at 9-22 03:21

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IjnyS1DHQ37EUVrfvr9VwHQuTuAAfdOI?usp=sharing

Oh yeah, definitely see the noise on the left and right side.  Seems more prevalent on the left side.  
2021-9-22
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-22 04:34
Oh yeah, definitely see the noise on the left and right side.  Seems more prevalent on the left side.

I've worked with dozens of systems (from big cinema productions with reds and arri's but also smaller systems and action cams etc) and the first thing I noticed with the files coming from this Air2s was this noise. And in all light situations.And if you noticied it once you also start seeing it in material shot by others online
2021-9-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlexanderK Posted at 9-22 09:27
I've worked with dozens of systems (from big cinema productions with reds and arri's but also smaller systems and action cams etc) and the first thing I noticed with the files coming from this Air2s was this noise. And in all light situations.And if you noticied it once you also start seeing it in material shot by others online

"seeing it in material shot by others online"

Yes, I have noticed it.  Once you have seen it, it is hard to erase it from your memory and not look for it.
2021-9-23
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-23 03:15
"seeing it in material shot by others online"

Yes, I have noticed it.  Once you have seen it, it is hard to erase it from your memory and not look for it.

I'm now testing the normal picture profile vs dlog in same situations to examine the noise patterns but also what I can get out of the pictures (so both with correct WB, WB slightly off, bit overexposed etc etc).
2021-9-23
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 9-21 23:59
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue. Where did you contact our support team, please? Do you have original images for a further check? You may upload some original images to Google Drive or Dropbox, then share the link with us. Thanks.

And have you checked the material I provided in this thread? I'm looking forward to your follow-up and insights concerning this matter!
2021-9-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

AlexanderK Posted at 9-23 21:53
And have you checked the material I provided in this thread? I'm looking forward to your follow-up and insights concerning this matter!

Hi there, judging from the original video provided, the noise is in the normal range. When shooting DLog material, you can adopt the strategy of exposure to the right, which can capture the details of the dark parts well, while retaining the details of the bright parts, but it should be noted that once the exposure is underexposed, DLog is prone to a lot of noise; if in the optimization, you need to adjust the exposure value lower than the right exposure, which means that you need to use the price of increased noise in the dark part to exchange the details of the bright part. Shooting with DLog can expand the dynamic range and color gamut of video recording. After the shooting is completed, after the color correction, the human eye's look and feel are restored. During the color correction, the most interesting brightness interval can be selected for preservation. It should be noted that the DLog mode will compress video files, resulting in a loss of image quality. Therefore, under a high dynamic range, it is wise to use DLog at the expense of image quality. If the dynamic range is not high, do not choose DLog mode. DLOG and HLG tend to prioritize post-processing space and dynamic range modes, and it is recommended to use low ISO sensitivity shooting when the light is good.
Usually, post-processing software (such as the Temporal NR function in Davinci Resolve Studio) can effectively eliminate the noise in DLog-M and HLG videos.
2021-9-23
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 9-23 23:54
Hi there, judging from the original video provided, the noise is in the normal range. When shooting DLog material, you can adopt the strategy of exposure to the right, which can capture the details of the dark parts well, while retaining the details of the bright parts, but it should be noted that once the exposure is underexposed, DLog is prone to a lot of noise; if in the optimization, you need to adjust the exposure value lower than the right exposure, which means that you need to use the price of increased noise in the dark part to exchange the details of the bright part. Shooting with DLog can expand the dynamic range and color gamut of video recording. After the shooting is completed, after the color correction, the human eye's look and feel are restored. During the color correction, the most interesting brightness interval can be selected for preservation. It should be noted that the DLog mode will compress video files, resulting in a loss of image quality. Therefore, under a high dynamic range, it is wise to use DLog at the expense of image quality. If the dynamic range is not high, do not choose DLog mode. DLOG and HLG tend to prioritize post-processing space and dynamic range modes, and it is recommended to use low ISO sensitivity shooting when the light is good.
Usually, post-processing software (such as the Temporal NR function in Davinci Resolve Studio) can effectively eliminate the noise in DLog-M and HLG videos.

Both our senior in house editor and the colorist both know what they are doing,, thx.

I don't feel these images are underexposed since the noise appears on the entire left and right side is darker as well as lighter parts. But could be informative for new buyers: expect noise in your images.
2021-9-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

AlexanderK Posted at 9-24 03:41
Both our senior in house editor and the colorist both know what they are doing,, thx.

I don't feel these images are underexposed since the noise appears on the entire left and right side is darker as well as lighter parts. But could be informative for new buyers: expect noise in your images.

Our engineers had checked your videos, the noise is in the normal range. Please rest assured to use it. Should there be any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.
2021-9-26
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Natalia Posted at 9-26 19:58
Our engineers had checked your videos, the noise is in the normal range. Please rest assured to use it. Should there be any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

We have also observed a very high noise for 1" sensor, I believe is from the compression algorithm.
Also in night, the 1" sensor behave strange, getting a strange magenta/purple noise on sides of sensor (from the lateral sides to center, for around 15% of distance)...and this was observed at 2 Air2S drones in same manner.
Now, this can be a sensor quality issue or a software encoding problem from firmware...

Maybe your department of R&D can check this out?
Thanks.
2021-10-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 10-20 01:06
We have also observed a very high noise for 1" sensor, I believe is from the compression algorithm.
Also in night, the 1" sensor behave strange, getting a strange magenta/purple noise on sides of sensor (from the lateral sides to center, for around 15% of distance)...and this was observed at 2 Air2S drones in same manner.
Now, this can be a sensor quality issue or a software encoding problem from firmware...

Hi there, could you please provide us with some videos for better assistance? I'll help to forward your feedback to our corresponding team. Thanks.
2021-10-21
Use props
b9y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 704751 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2021-10-21 18:45
Hi there, could you please provide us with some videos for better assistance? I'll help to forward your feedback to our corresponding team. Thanks.

Your department literally confirmed to me that you use software that incorrectly compresses the data, hence why there's even noise under correct exposure.
2022-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules