Max Altitude 5,000m not respected by DJIFly App
3721 15 2021-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SheMunkee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15407 ft
United States

I bought the Air 2S because it has a maximum takeoff altitude of 5,000m above sea-level. The other day when trying to fly at approx. 3,600m I was presented with a notification in the DJI Fly app when I tried to takeoff. It told me that I was going to be flying at my own risk and that all my warranties for flights above 3,000m are void. I had to accept it before I could takeoff. What gives?! I would never had bought this drone that is rated by the manufacturer for takeoffs up to 5,000m if I can't fly it above 3,000m. It's one of the reasons I selected this drone vs a competitor.

Wish I'd snagged a screenshot of the message, but I didn't even think to do so.

Below screenshot is from the DJI website showing the rating for the device.

2021-09-27_8-29-20.jpg
2021-9-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

If you like upload your flightlog to check the messages in the log.

use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
and post that uploaded link on here.

cheers
JJB
2021-9-27
Use props
SheMunkee
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 9-27 07:45
Hi,

If you like upload your flightlog to check the messages in the log.

I have an Air2, not a Phantom. I don't think that website will work for my flight logs.
2021-9-27
Use props
LoveYou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16525367 ft
Greece

SheMunkee Posted at 9-27 09:24
I have an Air2, not a Phantom. I don't think that website will work for my flight logs.

is work...
2021-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It works for any DJI drone.
2021-9-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there SheMunkee. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check the said location from our DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Map ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) where you are trying to fly your DJI Air 2S to see if the said location has some flight restrictions. Thank you.
2021-9-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

That website works for any DJI drone and has easy to follow instructions.
2021-9-28
Use props
SheMunkee
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-27 19:01
Hello there SheMunkee. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check the said location from our DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Map ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) where you are trying to fly your DJI Air 2S to see if the said location has some flight restrictions. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. As you can see, no restrictions in this zone! Kite Lake Campground, outside of Alma, Colorado.
2021-9-28
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1572595 ft
United States

SheMunkee Posted at 9-28 08:28
Thanks for the reply. As you can see, no restrictions in this zone! Kite Lake Campground, outside of Alma, Colorado. [view_image]

OK... there are no specific height restrictions but you are flying in the USA.  You are legally not allowed above 400' AGL. if you are launching at 3600 feet MSL you can go 400 feet to a height of 4000 MSL.  

I have no idea why you were thinking 5000 feet.  The drone may be rated to fly that high if you are talking MSL but not AGL.  That also might be an Operating max, similar to submarines that have a crush depth, above a certain height you were are doing nothing more than beating the thin air and the drone really won't respond as there is not enough air to work on.
2021-9-28
Use props
SheMunkee
lvl.1
United States

KryosChaos Posted at 9-28 10:42
OK... there are no specific height restrictions but you are flying in the USA.  You are legally not allowed above 400' AGL. if you are launching at 3600 feet MSL you can go 400 feet to a height of 4000 MSL.  

I have no idea why you were thinking 5000 feet.  The drone may be rated to fly that high if you are talking MSL but not AGL.  That also might be an Operating max, similar to submarines that have a crush depth, above a certain height you were are doing nothing more than beating the thin air and the drone really won't respond as there is not enough air to work on.

HI there. Thanks for reaching out with your concerns. I understand there are some things you are unclear about. Let me try to explain again.

I will refrain from acronyms to improve clarity.

My takeoff altitude was over 9k feet above sea level. I was attempting to takeoff when I received a warning. I was not in flight. My drone had not taken off when the message was displayed. I couldn't take off until I accepted a warning that I agreed that my warranty with DJI was void.

My inquiry is to why my DJI would display a message that a warranty would be void  when trying to takeoff at altitudes above 3000m above sea level (takeoff, means drone is on the ground, not in the air) when the drone manufacturer clearly states that the maximum takeoff altitude is 5000m above sea level. Anything higher and the drone is not rated to operate in the thin air.

My flight did not exceed 70m, which is 229 feet above the ground, which is below the legal ceiling in the US of 400 feet.  

A perfectly legal flight within the bounds of both federal and local laws, and within posted operating specifications of the DJI Air2S
2021-9-28
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

SheMunkee Posted at 9-28 11:49
HI there. Thanks for reaching out with your concerns. I understand there are some things you are unclear about. Let me try to explain again.

I believe this is the warning you are talking about.  I've gotten it several times when my takeoff altitude was above 10,000 feet MSL.

2021-9-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KryosChaos "if you are launching at 3600 feet MSL you can go 400 feet to a height of 4000 MSL.  " isn't quite correct.

Legally  they could fly to any height they choose providing they remained within the layer that extends to "400ft above the ground beneath the drone" , so it the ground rose to 4600ft above sea level they could fly up to 5000-ft MSL above the high point.

But remember DJI have build in an absolute ceiling of 1640ft the take off point.

2021-9-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@SheMunkee if you replay the flight in the ''me'' or ''profile'' section at the front of the app do you see the warning in the replay?
2021-9-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SheMunkee Posted at 9-28 11:49

Clear things up, just upload flight log, this is of interest to many and you’ll be helping. All your getting here is people guessing …
2021-9-28
Use props
SheMunkee
lvl.1
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 9-28 14:22
I believe this is the warning you are talking about.  I've gotten it several times when my takeoff altitude was above 10,000 feet MSL.

[view_image]

(Sorry for late reply, was traveling for work.) YES! This is the warning I was referring to. DJI... why is this appearing for a drone that is rated for a maximum takeoff altitude of 5000m?
And for those asking, no I will not upload flight logs due to privacy concerns of the property owners.

2021-10-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

SheMunkee Posted at 10-6 06:37
(Sorry for late reply, was traveling for work.) YES! This is the warning I was referring to. DJI... why is this appearing for a drone that is rated for a maximum takeoff altitude of 5000m?
And for those asking, no I will not upload flight logs due to privacy concerns of the property owners.

"And for those asking, no I will not upload flight logs due to privacy concerns of the property owners."

The is nothing in a flight log that violates anyone's privacy.
2021-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules