783 22 2021-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captain Evillian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62480 ft
Netherlands

Hello,

I understood that if i'm planning to fly again in a couple of days or if i only fly once a week it's best to not charge the batteries until a day before my flight.

Do i keep the batteries empty as they came out of the drone until my next flight next week? Keeping empty batteries is also not good, correct? Do i have to charge them to 50% after my flight or is the 50% only recommended for long term storage?

Kind Regards

2021-9-28
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Ideally you want them no less than 25% to store.  You have it right, charge up then fly, store them depleted.
2021-9-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Captain Evillian. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2's intelligent flight battery's performance will be influenced if it is kept idle for a long time. To maintain the battery's active state, it is recommended that users do not completely discharge the battery and then store; otherwise, the battery will over-discharge and the battery cells will be damaged, which will make the battery unusable. For reference, I will be posting a link where in you can see the manual of the DJI Mini 2 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_12.pdf ). Thank you.
2021-9-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My rule of thumb is and has served me very well and that is, as soon as i get home from a sesh, i charge them fully, be it Mini 2 or my P4P, that way its ready for a quick flight if needed, if its not needed the next day then it will discharge to approx 96%, if its not needed during the next 10 days and i haven't pressed the button on the battery hub/drone to check, then they will discharge to approx 72%, as per the manual. I do recharge if they haven't been used for around 2 months or more and repeat the above.  

I still have my original P4P battery thats nearly 5 years old and still going strong so i must be doing something right

2021-9-28
Use props
Captain Evillian
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-28 19:18
Hello there Captain Evillian. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2's intelligent flight battery's performance will be influenced if it is kept idle for a long time. To maintain the battery's active state, it is recommended that users do not completely discharge the battery and then store; otherwise, the battery will over-discharge and the battery cells will be damaged, which will make the battery unusable. For reference, I will be posting a link where in you can see the manual of the DJI Mini 2 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_2/DJI_Mini_2_Disclaimer_and_Safety_Guidelines_12.pdf ). Thank you.

Thank you Stephen. It's still not very clear after reading the manual.

I have flown yesterday, i used 3 batteries until the warning came up. The loading station is showing one solid light on 2 of them and one blinking light on one of them. I am probably flying again on Sunday.

What should i do? Should i keep them empty and charge on Saturday? Fully charge them now? Or should i charge to 50% now and the rest on Saturday?
2021-9-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Captain Evillian Posted at 9-29 03:39
Thank you Stephen. It's still not very clear after reading the manual.

I have flown yesterday, i used 3 batteries until the warning came up. The loading station is showing one solid light on 2 of them and one blinking light on one of them. I am probably flying again on Sunday.

From what I understand from the various forums here, you charge them up to about 50% (40 - 60%) where you can keep them in that state for weeks and then charge them up fully that day you are flying. This is what I do after reading everything about batteries here.
2021-9-29
Use props
Captain Evillian
lvl.1
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 9-29 05:43
From what I understand from the various forums here, you charge them up to about 50% (40 - 60%) where you can keep them in that state for weeks and then charge them up fully that day you are flying. This is what I do after reading everything about batteries here.

Thanks, so i guess if i'm not flying 3-5 days i can keep the batteries empty?

Sometimes i only fly once a week, the long term storage thing is clear to me, i was asking about what the definition of long term is.

So i'm guessing it's okay to keep the batteries empty for 5-6 days between flights.

2021-9-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Captain Evillian Posted at 9-29 05:52

Sometimes i only fly once a week, the long term storage thing is clear to me, i was asking about what the definition of long term is.

Hi,
When you say empty, what percentage would that be?
If you are only flying withing 3-5 days, I would keep that at 50%, then it takes much shorter time to fully charge them.
2021-9-29
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Captain Evillian Posted at 9-29 05:52

Never empty!
The first two LED lights are on, the third one is flashing, but the fourth light is off – the battery is between 50 and 63 percent
2021-9-29
Use props
Captain Evillian
lvl.1
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 9-29 06:03
Hi,
When you say empty, what percentage would that be?

The warning comes up at 20%, so after every flight there is about 17-20% left.
2021-9-29
Use props
Captain Evillian
lvl.1
Netherlands

Johnny_J Posted at 9-29 06:03
Never empty!
The first two LED lights are on, the third one is flashing, but the fourth light is off – the battery is between 50 and 63 percent

Okay, so that means you have to charge after every flight? Because the drone gives the low battery warning at 20%.

Charge till 50-60% and then the rest just before the next flight?

2021-9-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Johnny_J Posted at 9-29 06:03
Never empty!
The first two LED lights are on, the third one is flashing, but the fourth light is off – the battery is between 50 and 63 percent

Yes that is a good way that I am doing it.
2021-9-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Captain Evillian Posted at 9-29 06:05
Okay, so that means you have to charge after every flight? Because the drone gives the low battery warning at 20%.

For a couple of day that you mentioned, I do not think it is a problem keeping them at that state. There may be someone else here that could be more precise about this than me. But you should never go under 10%.
2021-9-29
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Captain Evillian Posted at 9-29 06:05

If you discharge to the point where you get a low battery warning then you will reduce the battery life considerably. I never fly below 40%. But that's just me!
2021-9-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

I have the Mavic 2 Pro and DJI has set the first warning at 25%, which was set when I received the drone, which is also the time when the drone wants to go home. Then it can be as low as 22% when it lands, as I never fly further away than 200-300m so I can see it. so That should not be any problems.
2021-9-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With my P4P, there are times when i will empty the battery as far as it will go, once at 10%, i leave the drone motors running whilst sitting on the ground until the battery dies fully, i.e. motors shut down.
I do this to calibrate the %, like I said, still have the original battery and its actually the 1st battery i use, every time i fly so i must be doing sommat right. There was talk about doing this practice on here a few years back, even a mod (female as i remember) chimed in about doing it too. My mate also does this with his Mavi Pro and he still has his original Fly More batteries. Whether the practice is right or wrong, its done neither of us any harm and we will do it with the Mini 2 also. We probably do it every 3 months or so.
2021-9-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Bashy Posted at 9-29 06:59
With my P4P, there are times when i will empty the battery as far as it will go, once at 10%, i leave the drone motors running whilst sitting on the ground until the battery dies fully, i.e. motors shut down.
I do this to calibrate the %, like I said, still have the original battery and its actually the 1st battery i use, every time i fly so i must be doing sommat right. There was talk about doing this practice on here a few years back, even a mod (female as i remember) chimed in about doing it too. My mate also does this with his Mavi Pro and he still has his original Fly More batteries. Whether the practice is right or wrong, its done neither of us any harm and we will do it with the Mini 2 also. We probably do it every 3 months or so.

Yes, I think you are right and that this is a good way to somehow reconditioning the battery and to get it back to more or less full capacity. I have read about this on the internet.

I am very interesting in knowing everything there is about these batteries, as without them in a good condition, I can not fly as long as want, as well as that they are not cheep to replace.
2021-9-29
Use props
Captain Evillian
lvl.1
Netherlands

I just put all my batteries in the charger for 15 minutes, now they have 2 solid lights and one blinking. I will completely charge them later this week when i'm going to fly.
This is probably better than leaving them empty a couple of days every week.

Thanks everyone!
2021-9-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Captain Evillian Posted at 9-29 08:02
I just put all my batteries in the charger for 15 minutes, now they have 2 solid lights and one blinking. I will completely charge them later this week when i'm going to fly.
This is probably better than leaving them empty a couple of days every week.

If you expect to be flying within a week or so, the best practice would be to charge when you get home, then stick them on again either the night before you fly or the morning that you leave. The batteries will take care of the rest if needed. That way the batteries are ready at the drop of a hat, you never know what that next thunderstorm will roll on through, or that decent sunset/rise and so on, again, that's just how i roll and its not failed me yet
2021-9-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 9-29 07:53
Yes, I think you are right and that this is a good way to somehow reconditioning the battery and to get it back to more or less full capacity. I have read about this on the internet.

I am very interesting in knowing everything there is about these batteries, as without them in a good condition, I can not fly as long as want, as well as that they are not cheep to replace.

Try replacing a P4P, i think i paid £180 at one time, but normally £167 from DJI i think, or thereabouts.

If you've only just got your Mini 2, then it will need a good few charges before you can get the max flight time from them, prob between 5-10 charges to be on the safe side
2021-9-29
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Bashy Posted at 9-29 14:27
Try replacing a P4P, i think i paid £180 at one time, but normally £167 from DJI i think, or thereabouts.

If you've only just got your Mini 2, then it will need a good few charges before you can get the max flight time from them, prob between 5-10 charges to be on the safe side

Hi Bashy,
Yes, I have heard about that it may need a few charges before coming up to full usable charge. Thanks for reminding me about this. I am up to 58 and 59 charges now on my 2 batteries and I still seam to always get the same 20 min flights every time.
2021-9-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 9-30 01:44
Hi Bashy,
Yes, I have heard about that it may need a few charges before coming up to full usable charge. Thanks for reminding me about this. I am up to 58 and 59 charges now on my 2 batteries and I still seam to always get the same 20 min flights every time.

Ah, ya well into the batteries now then, they should be at full capacity. should be getting longer than 20 mins though, I'm sure they are good for at least 25, but having said that, i haven't actually timed mine in the real world though, but i am 95% sure mine last way pass the 20 mark but easily under the 30 mark
2021-9-30
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Bashy Posted at 9-30 13:52
Ah, ya well into the batteries now then, they should be at full capacity. should be getting longer than 20 mins though, I'm sure they are good for at least 25, but having said that, i haven't actually timed mine in the real world though, but i am 95% sure mine last way pass the 20 mark but easily under the 30 mark

Yes, batteries are always at 100% before flying and I am sure I cold get more out of them too, but it would depend on how you fly and in which mode. If I take it easy and fly not so fast and in tripod mode and now and again in P mode, I am sure I will get more. I will try to take it more easy one day and see how much time I get. Cheers.
2021-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules