DJI not for government departments for Chinese?
839 25 2021-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Guy's,

In the Netherlands the police department uses, or intend to use, DJI drones to... well... to do thing.
There is currently a lot of discussion if that is okay.

The military defense does explicitly not use Chinese drones, because China may... well... do "things" with the data.

I have my doubts if there is a real threat, yep perhaps position info could (I am not saying they do) be registered, or perhaps even a compressed camera feed (but I think that is far fetched already).
Officially you have to agree to upload data, but ... yes.... well... if a company would have dubious intentions, well, that doesn't mean anything.

But what is the threat? For the police (not defense)? Will China pass on information to criminals? And for what purpose would they do that?
To destabilize? To facilitate (Chinese) goods smuggled???

What is your opinion?
2021-9-30
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Our cops use them locally to spy on drug deals, or other observatory operations.
I have no problem with it, what's the difference if they use a china drone or a real chopper?
Sometimes I wonder what the issue is abouut military/police using chinese drones, but ... sites like tiktok and discord as well make me wonder.
Everyone communicates on discord these days, comms is certainly important.
Tiktok is killing peoples' attention spans.
So, if you had a 100 year plan to overtake a nation, where would you start?
2021-9-30
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

hunterws Posted at 9-30 19:16
Our cops use them locally to spy on drug deals, or other observatory operations.
I have no problem with it, what's the difference if they use a china drone or a real chopper?
Sometimes I wonder what the issue is abouut military/police using chinese drones, but ... sites like tiktok and discord as well make me wonder.

"So, if you had a 100 year plan to overtake a nation, where would you start?"

Fox News. And it is already in progress for many years.
2021-9-30
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

GaryDoug Posted at 9-30 20:44

Ha ha ha ha.... Sorry but I could not help my self laughing when I read this. Very good reply Gary. Yes Fox News are trying very hard for a long time.
2021-9-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you use the smart controller it doesn't have a data connection so it cannot upload any data.
2021-9-30
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

I personally believe that concerning DJI and their drones we are turning in to a bunch of paranoid creatures. With sophisticated algorithms scanning the internet/mobile networks (similar to google), and high-resolution satellite pictures, China (same as the US) does not need data from a drone flying in someone's backyard. Did Motorola, Nokia or Samsung take over the world yet? As long as we have no worries in posting our whole life on platforms such as Facebook, TikTok, Instagram etc, we should not worry too much about DJI collecting data.
A déjà-vue: About ten years ago, the Swiss government did not allow the use of iPhones because Apple did not disclose what data they were synchronizing. Today iPhones are in use throughout the government and I am sure it is still unknown what data Apple synchronizes and Apple still has not invaded Switzerland
2021-10-1
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 9-30 23:27
If you use the smart controller it doesn't have a data connection so it cannot upload any data.

So is the phone in airplane mode... I put my phone in aircraft mode each time I fly because, that's what it is for, I'm flying an aircraft so it has to be in aircraft mode... Kidding aside, airplane mode prevents me from being disturbed while flying and prevents interferences from the phone.
A paranoid user can clear the app cache and data after each flight before removing the airplane mode and no data would be ever sent to DJI.

2021-10-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Turbo1ed Posted at 10-1 05:17
So is the phone in airplane mode... I put my phone in aircraft mode each time I fly because, that's what it is for, I'm flying an aircraft so it has to be in aircraft mode... Kidding aside, airplane mode prevents me from being disturbed while flying and prevents interferences from the phone.
A paranoid user can clear the app cache and data after each flight before removing the airplane mode and no data would be ever sent to DJI.

The problem with that though is you don’t know what data could be secretly kept and transferred later.  Highly unlikely but possible.  
2021-10-1
Use props
Turbo1ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1322582 ft
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 10-1 05:27
The problem with that though is you don’t know what data could be secretly kept and transferred later.  Highly unlikely but possible.

On Android, an app would require specific permission to write data in a place  not visible by the operating system. Once you click "Clear Data" on an app, all its data is gone and you have to sign-in again, etc.
2021-10-1
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-30 20:44

Think bigger and more methodical without showing -your- bias.  good luck
2021-10-1
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

MeAtHome Posted at 10-1 05:08
I personally believe that concerning DJI and their drones we are turning in to a bunch of paranoid creatures. With sophisticated algorithms scanning the internet/mobile networks (similar to google), and high-resolution satellite pictures, China (same as the US) does not need data from a drone flying in someone's backyard. Did Motorola, Nokia or Samsung take over the world yet? As long as we have no worries in posting our whole life on platforms such as Facebook, TikTok, Instagram etc, we should not worry too much about DJI collecting data.
A déjà-vue: About ten years ago, the Swiss government did not allow the use of iPhones because Apple did not disclose what data they were synchronizing. Today iPhones are in use throughout the government and I am sure it is still unknown what data Apple synchronizes and Apple still has not invaded Switzerland

Apple did invade Switzerland, and they have taken over phones of people in every sector. ;)
2021-10-1
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

hunterws Posted at 9-30 19:16
Our cops use them locally to spy on drug deals, or other observatory operations.

You tell me?

Hope not by issuing tiktok…
2021-10-2
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 9-30 23:27

Do our cops know that?
2021-10-2
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

MeAtHome Posted at 10-1 05:08
I personally believe that concerning DJI and their drones we are turning in to a bunch of paranoid creatures. With sophisticated algorithms scanning the internet/mobile networks (similar to google), and high-resolution satellite pictures, China (same as the US) does not need data from a drone flying in someone's backyard. Did Motorola, Nokia or Samsung take over the world yet? As long as we have no worries in posting our whole life on platforms such as Facebook, TikTok, Instagram etc, we should not worry too much about DJI collecting data.

Well… it sounds like they perhaps did, if it is used throughout the government ;)
2021-10-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turbo1ed Posted at 10-1 05:32
On Android, an app would require specific permission to write data in a place  not visible by the operating system. Once you click "Clear Data" on an app, all its data is gone and you have to sign-in again, etc.

turbo you have to think bigger than that.  if people believe this problem, they also believe the entire app permission function is a ruse and using the clear data button is not working.  the data is NOT cleared like you are led to believe.  don't believe everything you are told.  
2021-10-2
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OT i know but I gotta ask, for those that put their devices into flight mode and or use the smart controller, how does DJI get your flight details, i.e. distance etc...?
Is the SC supposed to connect to another device to be able to do that stuff?
2021-10-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It is far more likely that some commercial enterprise is stealing your data and using it to sell you more junk. Get in line governments, you don't have the technology to compete ;-)
2021-10-2
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hunterws Posted at 10-1 07:44
Think bigger and more methodical without showing -your- bias.  good luck

MY bias? Are you joking? I am very serious about this.
2021-10-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 10-2 03:32
Do our cops know that?

I would really hope so.
2021-10-3
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

The Chicoms are on the verge of invading Taiwan.
There's not a chance in hell I will EVER buy another Chinese built drone, phone, TV etc.
2021-10-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBSL500 Posted at 10-3 16:15
The Chicoms are on the verge of invading Taiwan.
There's not a chance in hell I will EVER buy another Chinese built drone, phone, TV etc.

So youre gonna leave all tech behind and go back to the stone ages then, yeah?

Why i hear you ask, well, because 99% of all tech has something in it from China, prob not 99% but i bet its damn close, we might be only talking a diode here or resistor there or a chip or... well, you get the idea, so talking like you are then you've got to give it all up else that's being hypercritical
2021-10-3
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-3 18:55
So youre gonna leave all tech behind and go back to the stone ages then, yeah?

Why i hear you ask, well, because 99% of all tech has something in it from China, prob not 99% but i bet its damn close, we might be only talking a diode here or resistor there or a chip or... well, you get the idea, so talking like you are then you've got to give it all up else that's being hypercritical

Technological advancement has been, currently is....and will continue to be... U.S.
The intellectual theft of that technology and sweat shop production cost is Chinese.
I find it almost funny how so many are so willing to close their eyes to that theft as long as they can buy a $3 Chinese voltmeter from Harbor Freight.

2021-10-4
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBSL500 Posted at 10-4 08:22
Technological advancement has been, currently is....and will continue to be... U.S.
The intellectual theft of that technology and sweat shop production cost is Chinese.
I find it almost funny how so many are so willing to close their eyes to that theft as long as they can buy a $3 Chinese voltmeter from Harbor Freight.

That is beside the point, the parts at least are still being made in China, therefore most of what you use is at least in part, from. China. I am fairly sure you will continue to drive your car(s), use your home phone, mobile too, cook with your cooker/oven, and of course, fly your drone, not to mention every other piece of technology you use ;)
2021-10-4
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-4 14:47
That is beside the point, the parts at least are still being made in China, therefore most of what you use is at least in part, from. China. I am fairly sure you will continue to drive your car(s), use your home phone, mobile too, cook with your cooker/oven, and of course, fly your drone, not to mention every other piece of technology you use ;)

No, that is precisely the point.
If you want to be a cheerleader for Chinese trade practices, the stealing of intellectual property, embedded cellphone spyware, their military on the verge of a military strike in Taiwan (to name just a few examples of the crap that the Chinese communists are currently engaged in.....just so you can save a few dollars at Walmart on your sweatshop manufactured Hisense TV ....well you just go and be my guest.
In the words of G.L Herron, "When the producer names the tune the consumer has got to dance".
Get ready to dance.

Obvious run-on sentence done for expediency and also a complete lake of caring.

2021-10-4
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MBSL500 Posted at 10-4 15:17
No, that is precisely the point.
If you want to be a cheerleader for Chinese trade practices, the stealing of intellectual property, embedded cellphone spyware, their military on the verge of a military strike in Taiwan (to name just a few examples of the crap that the Chinese communists are currently engaged in.....just so you can save a few dollars at Walmart on your sweatshop manufactured Hisense TV ....well you just go and be my guest.
In the words of G.L Herron, "When the producer names the tune the consumer has got to dance".

No, it was beside my point, but I'm done with it, seen as we both know you will still use all of your tech and still buy tech that includes parts from China regardless of their actions (but now you're getting into politics and to be honest that bores the cr@p out of me) seen as you've not said to the contrary, that is the point I am making and that's why I said you are a hypocrite.

Since when did i ever say i condone their actions, you're trying to take the spotlight off of yourself by making up stuff i never said lol
Anyhoo, not overly sure this is the place to take out your anger on the Chinese.
2021-10-4
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-4 17:38
No, it was beside my point, but I'm done with it, seen as we both know you will still use all of your tech and still buy tech that includes parts from China regardless of their actions (but now you're getting into politics and to be honest that bores the cr@p out of me) seen as you've not said to the contrary, that is the point I am making and that's why I said you are a hypocrite.

Since when did i ever say i condone their actions, you're trying to take the spotlight off of yourself by making up stuff i never said lol

No, we "both" don't know what I will use regarding technology.
I know however.
I wouldn't be presumptuous to suggest that "we both know" what *you* will still use.
But then again, I don't have psychic powers.
I'm through too.

BTW your dogs are beautiful.
2021-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules