Battery charging question
762 9 2021-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AF7U
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7028 ft
United States

Hi all... New forum user, new Mini 2...I know the battery will charge inside a mini 2 but, will a battery charge in the mini 2 while the aircraft is turned 'ON'?
Thx,

~Michael
2021-9-30
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

No, the battery will not charge while the aircraft is in operation.
2021-9-30
Use props
AF7U
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 9-30 11:18
No, the battery will not charge while the aircraft is in operation.

OK, thanks... As a side note, after trying for a short time I noticed the battery was very hot. This was a new battery, like three days, obviously, the load was extreme. Subsequently, after shutting the craft off, then reconnecting the USB 'C' charger.  The four lights underneath the drone stepped through two luminations (position 1 & 2, as the battery was only partially discharged) the fourth light under the drone started fast blinking. After cooling down both the battery and drone, all was well again. Just an FYI detail... a hot battery will cause the fourth light to fast blink. I searched a bit but couldn't find much about a blinking fourth light, hence the FYI.
2021-9-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AF7U Posted at 9-30 13:19
OK, thanks... As a side note, after trying for a short time I noticed the battery was very hot. This was a new battery, like three days, obviously, the load was extreme. Subsequently, after shutting the craft off, then reconnecting the USB 'C' charger.  The four lights underneath the drone stepped through two luminations (position 1 & 2, as the battery was only partially discharged) the fourth light under the drone started fast blinking. After cooling down both the battery and drone, all was well again. Just an FYI detail... a hot battery will cause the fourth light to fast blink. I searched a bit but couldn't find much about a blinking fourth light, hence the FYI.

Youre not supposed to charge a hot battery, these types do not like it, that's why DJI have added protection in there to prevent it being charge when hot, always wait till they've cooled down, i recommend reading the manual
2021-9-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The battery cannot be charged if the aircraft is powered on and the aircraft cannot be powered on during charging. In addition, charging stops automatically if the temperature of the battery exceeds 50°C (122°F) during the charging process. Hope this helps. Thank you for your continued support.
2021-9-30
Use props
AF7U
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-30 18:02
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The battery cannot be charged if the aircraft is powered on and the aircraft cannot be powered on during charging. In addition, charging stops automatically if the temperature of the battery exceeds 50°C (122°F) during the charging process. Hope this helps. Thank you for your continued support.

Thank you Paladin, for your very concise answer~!~ I wish I could hit a ‘Tip’ button for you. I’ve been involved in electronics for well over 40 years and I’m sooo used to getting the ole’ RTFM type answers to semi technical-related questions; it’s refreshing to see a quick and concise answer to my query. I really appreciate your reply. I am very impressed with the technology inside the craft; I would bet most folks are oblivious to all the math going on in the processing of attitude control in such a small package. This little guy rocks…
2021-9-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

AF7U Posted at 9-30 19:06
Thank you Paladin, for your very concise answer~!~ I wish I could hit a ‘Tip’ button for you. I’ve been involved in electronics for well over 40 years and I’m sooo used to getting the ole’ RTFM type answers to semi technical-related questions; it’s refreshing to see a quick and concise answer to my query. I really appreciate your reply. I am very impressed with the technology inside the craft; I would bet most folks are oblivious to all the math going on in the processing of attitude control in such a small package. This little guy rocks…

" I would bet most folks are oblivious to all the math going on in the processing of attitude control in such a small package."

Sure, you know the average cell phone has 2000 times (disputed number ;-) the computing power of the one on the Apollo 11 spacecraft flight to the moon.
2021-9-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ve been involved in electronics for well over 40 years and I’m sooo used to getting the ole’ RTFM type answers to semi technical-related questions; it’s refreshing to see a quick and concise answer to my query.

Unlike your toaster, charging DJI a battery so soon after use can cause damage to the battery and shorten the life, therefore reading the manual is really a must  when it comes to drones, this is so that you can operate the drone in a safe manner, it could save you heartache in the long run, page 23 gives some valuable info and answers your questions in post 1 and subsequent comment that i replied to. The following is the Warnings section within the ''Intelligent Flight Battery'' section that starts on page 21

• The battery cannot be charged if the aircraft is powered on and the aircraft cannot be powered on during charging.
  • DO NOT charge an Intelligent Flight Battery immediately after flight as the temperature may be too high. Wait until it cools down to room temperature before charging again.
  • The charger stops charging the battery if the battery cell temperature is not within the operating range of 5° to 40° C (41° to 104° F). The ideal charging temperature is 22° to 28° C (71.6° to 82.4° F).
  • The Battery Charging Hub (not included) can charge up to three batteries. Visit the official DJI Online Store for more information about the Battery Charging Hub.
  • Fully charge the battery at least once every three months to maintain battery health.
  • If the firmware has been updated to v1.1.0.0 or above, it is recommended to use a QC2.0 or PD2.0 USB charger to charge. DJI does not take any responsibility for damage caused by using a charger that does not that meet the specified requirements.
  • When using the DJI 18W USB charger, the charging time is approximately 1 hour and 22 minutes.
  • It is recommended to discharge the Intelligent Flight Batteries to 30% or lower during transport or storage. This can be done by flying the aircraft outdoors until the battery level is less than 30%.

If you haven't already, you can download it here, i would also recommend the safety guidelines too

2021-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-30 21:00
" I would bet most folks are oblivious to all the math going on in the processing of attitude control in such a small package."

Sure, you know the average cell phone has 2000 times (disputed number ;-) the computing power of the one on the Apollo 11 spacecraft flight to the moon.

Okay, learned something new, again today.  

Technology has come a long way.  
2021-10-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you Paladin, for your very concise answer~!~ I wish I could hit a ‘Tip’ button for you. I’ve been involved in electronics for well over 40 years and I’m sooo used to getting the ole’ RTFM type answers to semi technical-related questions; it’s refreshing to see a quick and concise answer to my query. I really appreciate your reply. I am very impressed with the technology inside the craft; I would bet most folks are oblivious to all the math going on in the processing of attitude control in such a small package. This little guy rocks…

Thank you for your wonderful response. Rest assured that we will continue to provide the best customer service here in our community. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support and have a wonderful day ahead.
2021-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules