Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Osmo Action Overheating
6792 11 2021-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Makeev.one
lvl.1
Russia

My two DJI Osmo Action cameras are equally overheated. Tried 4K 48fps with stabilization turned off and the camera lasted 60 minutes of continuous recording before the battery discharged. But 4K 60fps with stabilization caused overheating after 41 minutes. In both experiments, the camera screens were automatically turned off. With the screen permanently on, the recording time before overheating is obviously even shorter. The test temperature was 24 degrees, indoors. Is this normal?
It's a shame that cameras for this price are overheating under ideal conditions. Using them outside in the sun is unrealistic...

2021-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Gopro last 10-15 minutes in same condition
2021-9-30
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

We need to be moving with the camera. if you are indoors at a desk, there is no need to use Rocksteadi, to me that sounds the Norm
2021-9-30
Use props
Makeev.one
lvl.1
Russia

johansenfoto Posted at 9-30 12:17
Gopro last 10-15 minutes in same condition

Maybe the GoPro 10, but not the previous models.
2021-9-30
Use props
Makeev.one
lvl.1
Russia

Fishycomics Posted at 9-30 12:18
We need to be moving with the camera. if you are indoors at a desk, there is no need to use Rocksteadi, to me that sounds the Norm

I agree, but I need the cameras to be installed inside the vehicles. A helicopter and inside an airplane. There they will be without air flow, like in snowboarding or fast biking. The use of these cameras should not be limited to extreme sports or outdoor blogging ;)
2021-9-30
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Makeev.one Posted at 9-30 12:54
Maybe the GoPro 10, but not the previous models.

9 and 8 overheat aswell on test they have done indoors.

Actually I think if you choose other brands like SJCAM 8/10 they will do better than both Osmo Action and Gopro regarding overheat. I had SJCAM SJ8 Pro and used it as dashcam, and it never overheated (my OA did after 30-40 min)
2021-9-30
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

interesting how, we want to use it stationary,,  Either remove the battery, use the USB side only, and lower the res and FPS, turn off all settings and best of luck.

2021-9-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Makeev.one. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time especially when shooting high-resolution and high-framerate video.  If it reaches the ceiling temperature, it will turn off itself to avoid scalding. You can adjust the temperature threshold but please be advised that the extended shooting time would depend on the combined factors of shooting resolution, ambient temperature, and the DJI Osmo Action's current temperature.  Thank you.
2021-9-30
Use props
Makeev.one
lvl.1
Russia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-30 19:14
Hello there Makeev.one. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time especially when shooting high-resolution and high-framerate video.  If it reaches the ceiling temperature, it will turn off itself to avoid scalding. You can adjust the temperature threshold but please be advised that the extended shooting time would depend on the combined factors of shooting resolution, ambient temperature, and the DJI Osmo Action's current temperature.  Thank you.

Anyway, your product is great! I love holding them in my hand))

2021-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Makeev.one Posted at 11-21 11:15
Anyway, your product is great! I love holding them in my hand))

[view_image]

Hi there Makeev.one. Thank you for the reply and for sharing these information. Again thank you for your support and for sharing this cool photo with us.
2021-11-22
Use props
Philippe Vincke
New
Belgium

My Action 3 overheated after 25 minutes continious filming 1080p/30 fps in enhanced modus. Place of filming was in a theater venue, ambient temperature was 25 degrees.
2023-11-26
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Philippe Vincke Posted at 11-26 02:26
My Action 3 overheated after 25 minutes continious filming 1080p/30 fps in enhanced modus. Place of filming was in a theater venue, ambient temperature was 25 degrees.

did you post to the Action 3 section about this this is   the origina OA1
2023-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules