Downloaded video does not play back correctly
6242 15 2021-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Highflyinlowly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101388 ft
United States

I am having a very challenging time trying to learn how to take the 4k footage I just shot and play it back on a computer.
I am flying an air 2s shot in 4k i think with 60 fps.  When viewed on  the iphone 12 pro dji app everything looks great.  I downloaded the  files via SD card to a PC and every footage is choopy and looks  horrible.  I also tried this on IMAC through imovie. I typically use the  drone for still shots for inspections but I want to learn how to shoot  videos and process them.
Thanks
2021-10-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

If you have downloaded the files directly from the SD card in the aircraft and they don't play properly, it will be because your PC is not powerful enough to play 4K files. You could try downloading a free copy of VLCPlayer and see it it helps.
2021-10-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

4k 60fps is too fast for my simple old pc so I have to slow it down.
2021-10-3
Use props
Highflyinlowly
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 10-3 14:25
If you have downloaded the files directly from the SD card in the aircraft and they don't play properly, it will be because your PC is not powerful enough to play 4K files. You could try downloading a free copy of VLCPlayer and see it it helps.

My PC specs are Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz with 16g of RAM.  
Does this sound like it is too slow?  I thought this computer would have been  sufficient.  If not what do you recommend to be able to play and edit the 4k.  Or what format do you recommend i record in
thanks again
2021-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Highflyinlowly Posted at 10-3 14:56
My PC specs are Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz with 16g of RAM.  
Does this sound like it is too slow?  I thought this computer would have been  sufficient.  If not what do you recommend to be able to play and edit the 4k.  Or what format do you recommend i record in
thanks again

For a start reduce the frame rate to 25 or 30 fps.
You can shoot test video on your desktop, without even flying.
2021-10-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Keep in mind it is also the graphics drivers that can be too slow. I suspect we need a gamer pc for this.
2021-10-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Highflyinlowly. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. As posted above kindly please try using a different PC with a higher graphic display drivers to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you.
2021-10-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

thanks again

Which graphics card does your PC have?  
2021-10-4
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

If video card is "integrated" onto the mother board, more than likely, not enough horsepower (Video Ram)
May need to add one if not present ion the pc box...
2021-10-4
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

since you said you wanted to learn how to process videos, may i suggest you download a free copy of davinci resolve (currently version 17) and if your computer can handle it, you can ultimately make any video play on your computer and you'll be well on your way to post-processing your drone videos into beautiful creations.

also you mentioned imac and imovie....please try the new inexpensive macmini with m1, it will eat 4k videos for breakfast.
2021-10-4
Use props
Highflyinlowly
lvl.1
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-4 03:22
Which graphics card does your PC have?

Sorry for the delay response.  Thanks everyone for chiming in.  Appreciated.
I have an Intel HD graphics 5500

Is the Intel HD Graphics 5500 good for gaming?
Although it isn't designed nor advertised to be a gaming graphics processor, the Intel HD 5500 is able to satisfy the casual gamer. It supports high-resolution video playbacks, including 4K, without a glitch

I got this laptop to be able to run CAD programs, which is has had no problem with.  I do seem to have issues with the thousands and thousands of photos and it being able to organize them without bogging down.  
2021-10-4
Use props
Highflyinlowly
lvl.1
United States

The Saint Posted at 10-4 12:09
since you said you wanted to learn how to process videos, may i suggest you download a free copy of davinci resolve (currently version 17) and if your computer can handle it, you can ultimately make any video play on your computer and you'll be well on your way to post-processing your drone videos into beautiful creations.

also you mentioned imac and imovie....please try the new inexpensive macmini with m1, it will eat 4k videos for breakfast.

Thanks Saint for the recommendations.  I wish I could just run out an buy a mac mini.  But I need to learn to make what I have work.  With that said I am downloading Davinci now and see what I can do with that- it looks fairly insane.  I am wondering if my PC is just not up to play in the big leagues.  Is there a way to take the the footage I have and "dumb" it down to be able to process it better.  I also want to pass this on to other folks who probably are not going to be able to play the 4k as well.  
Thanks
2021-10-4
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Highflyinlowly Posted at 10-4 12:49
Thanks Saint for the recommendations.  I wish I could just run out an buy a mac mini.  But I need to learn to make what I have work.  With that said I am downloading Davinci now and see what I can do with that- it looks fairly insane.  I am wondering if my PC is just not up to play in the big leagues.  Is there a way to take the the footage I have and "dumb" it down to be able to process it better.  I also want to pass this on to other folks who probably are not going to be able to play the 4k as well.  
Thanks

davinci resolve looks insane and i won't lie to you because it is insane.  but in a good way.  if you are serious about learning to post-process, it will be the best move you ever made especially if it works on your pc (i have not yet checked the specs).  yes, i believe you can use d.r. to "dumb" it down so it is playable.  there are other pieces of software on the market and yes davinci has a pretty steep learning curve but i compare it to flying drones:  once you get the hang of it.....

if you want to share and trade videos, have you tried to upload videos  to youtube?  i have uploaded 6k videos to yt and whomever is viewing can set the resolution most capable for their device.  yt works magic with your videos and for me, they always seem to play well on any device.  i would give that a try.

https://youtu.be/owyHY70K7kc
2021-10-4
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to tell you this but the GPU in my old pc works at about 1.1 GHZ and the one in yours is 0.95 GHZ and mine cant really handle 4k very well. I'm afraid it is too slow. You may be able to install something like a GeForce 820M card  (over 1.5 GHZ)  or a better one and go faster. No guarantees though since it really depends on the compatability with the CPU speed.
2021-10-4
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

thanks again

As others have said, the drone is quite capable of recording high quality 4k @60fps straight to its SC card.  So 1st things first, get a good SC card.  I use the SanDisk 128GB Extreme but there are other good ones too.  Check your drone manual for recommended cards that will move data fast enough.  Make sure that's not you're bottleneck.

Now myself, I can just take the card plug it in my iMac and play the raw footage from Quicktime Player, full screen, full resolution with no lag and good picture.  For that matter I can do the same from Windows 10 on my iMac.  Mine is an I5 3.4GH 16GB so not much different hardware than yours, actually the i5 processor is inferior.

Now, all that being said, I did decide today to shoot some video in 4K@60fps on my A2S.  Why?  Don't really know, I always shoot @30.  Just wanted to see how it would come out.

Well, it came out choppy!  But it's not the drone's fault.  The drone footage played just fine before I tinkered with it with Adobe Premier.  I joined 3 clips together, added some audio, color graded it, and re-encoded at the same 60fps.  My workaround (just temporary) is to just re-encode the video @30fps which produces no problem.

With your system, you should be able to copy the raw video files to your hard drive, play with something simple like media player or QuickTime player, and not have any problem.  If you do, check your software.

2021-10-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Highflyinlowly Posted at 10-4 12:37
Sorry for the delay response.  Thanks everyone for chiming in.  Appreciated.
I have an Intel HD graphics 5500

I think your Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is a bit too slow.  I had to replace my desktop with one that had a faster CPU, more memory and a high end GPU.  Work great now.  

Hope you get the issue resolved soon.  Have a great week.
2021-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules