ND Filter and White Balance
2268 16 2021-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
McGanksta
lvl.1

United States

Quick question, hope it is a simple answer, what do you set first the correct ND Filter or the white balance?

Thanks

McG
2021-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ND filters should have no effect on white balance.
They are completely unrelated.
2021-10-4
Use props
McGanksta
lvl.1

United States

This is why I ask?
Thanks so much

Still learning
McG
2021-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ND filters can leave colour casts, for example, the big stopper gives off a blue tint, it's not much of an issue if you shoot in raw as it can be sorted in post. However, if you shoot in jpg you're leaving this to the camera to sort out but it doesn't know you're using ND filters, so you do have to compensate for this, but that is only if the ones you're using give off a tint, take a few test shots to see, the ones i use for my Phanton do not give off any tint or if they do, I'm happy with it. Ive not heard anything about drone ND filters casting but then this is the only forum i frequent but if they do, there are youtube videos on this subject and how to go about setting a custom white balance to compensate

2021-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 10-4 17:53
ND filters can leave colour casts, for example, the big stopper gives off a blue tint, it's not much of an issue if you shoot in raw as it can be sorted in post. However, if you shoot in jpg you're leaving this to the camera to sort out but it doesn't know you're using ND filters, so you do have to compensate for this, but that is only if the ones you're using give off a tint, take a few test shots to see, the ones i use for my Phanton do not give off any tint or if they do, I'm happy with it. Ive not heard anything about drone ND filters casting but then this is the only forum i frequent but if they do, there are youtube videos on this subject and how to go about setting a custom white balance to compensate

ND filters can leave colour casts
If an ND filter gives a colour cast, it's a very poor quality filter and not worthy of the name.
ND stands for NEUTRAL density.
Neutral as in making no change in the colour of the light that passes through.

2021-10-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there McG. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference, these ND Filters reduce the amount of light coming into the sensor, giving you more control of the said DJI drone camera's aperture, exposure time, and sensor sensitivity settings. Thank you.
2021-10-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It depends on the ND filter.
Some give a bit of a brownish overcast.
So first apply the ND filter, then change the WB.
2021-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 10-4 22:53
It depends on the ND filter.
So first apply the ND filter, then change the WB.

It's not neutral if it's changing the colour in any way.
2021-10-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 10-4 23:03
It's not neutral if it's changing the colour in any way.

I know.
But still they do.
At least some that I had.
2021-10-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-4 19:06
ND filters can leave colour casts
If an ND filter gives a colour cast, it's a very poor quality filter and not worthy of the name.
ND stands for NEUTRAL density.

Beg to differ, the Big Stopper is of good quality and used by many pro toggers
2021-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 10-6 17:00
Beg to differ, the Big Stopper is of good quality and used by many pro toggers

But if it's giving a colour cast, it's not of good quality because it's not neutral.
Look up any definition of ND filters and they all tell you that they don't change anything about the light except the amount getting through.
2021-10-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-7 00:02
But if it's giving a colour cast, it's not of good quality because it's not neutral.
Look up any definition of ND filters and they all tell you that they don't change anything about the light except the amount getting through.

Most neutral density filters have some colour cast to them. It is a grey or blue tint to the images. Other neutral density filters try and manage the amount of infrared and create a green or cyan tint to the images. These filters require editing in post-production to try and recreate the scene.

Taken from here

What is it do you think they use to change the amount of light, just neutral? or, here me out, could it actually be a tint of some sort?
2021-10-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 10-7 14:12
Most neutral density filters have some colour cast to them. It is a grey or blue tint to the images. Other neutral density filters try and manage the amount of infrared and create a green or cyan tint to the images. These filters require editing in post-production to try and recreate the scene.

Taken from here

That is a marketing piece extolling the virtues of Tiffen against lesser filters.

Try these examples instead.
Wikipedia .. first line of their item about ND filters:
In photography and optics, a neutral-density filter, or ND filter, is a filter that reduces or modifies the intensity of all wavelengths, or colors, of light equally, giving no changes in hue of color rendition.

Or

Think of the ND filter as sunglasses for your camera—albeit sunglasses  that do not change the color of the light being captured by the camera  and lens—hence the “neutral” nomenclature.
That came from:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/exp ... ral-density-filters

Or any number of regular articles explaining what ND filters are.
Those were just the first two items from the Google Search

2021-10-8
Use props
McGanksta
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the replies, I am sure that my first set may not be the best, Skyreet, so for my starting workflow I will install the filter then set White Balance. If they do not affect the color then either way I am still good
2021-10-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 10-8 05:00
That is a marketing piece extolling the virtues of Tiffen against lesser filters.

Try these examples instead.

So, at least we have both established that we can use google search and come up with 2 different answers.

I would never class the Big Stopper as a lesser lens, it is a professional ND filter
https://www.ephotozine.com/artic ... filter-review-14590
2021-10-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 10-9 19:30
So, at least we have both established that we can use google search and come up with 2 different answers.

I would never class the Big Stopper as a lesser lens, it is a professional ND filter

Actually what was established is that you didn't read the link that you posted.
It doesn't say what you think it does.
It says that Tiffen filters don't have a colour cast that  some lower quality filters do.
It's saying that if your ND filter imparts a colour cast, it's not of good quality.

Here are a few more for you saying the opposite of the point that you are trying to push.

https://urth.co/magazine/neutral-density-filter-explained
What does an ND filter do?
A neutral density (ND) filter is a type of dark filter that easily attaches to the front of a camera lens, to control how much light enters the camera’s sensor. Since a neutral density filter only affects light levels, it doesn’t have any impact on image colour, contrast or sharpness.

https://hoyafilterusa.com/pages/neutral-density
A quality filter will either have no color shift at all, or, at the very least, have predictable results.
Features to look for
Color Shift: Should be non-existent or at minimum predictable results.

https://tiffen.com/collections/neutral-density
WHY USE NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTERS ?
These filters reduce the amount of light passing through the camera lens without changing the color of the scene.

2021-10-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You 1st example by URTH ND filters, I've just read a review that states one of URTH's had a blue cast
The coatings on the filter seemed to do a great job, and while there may have been a slight blue cast....

Your 2nd example above actually says

A quality filter will either have no color shift at all, or, at the very least, have predictable results.
Features to look for
Color Shift: Should be non-existent or at minimum predictable results.

and the link to that states this

And what Tiffen say and what Tiffen do can be completely different, 1 amazon reviewer states

paula goff

1.0 out of 5 starsOne Star
Reviewed in the United States on August 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
This filter causes my images to look green.
4 people found this helpful

https://www.amazon.com/product-r ... e_star&pageNumber=1

Suffice to say, many do produce a colour cast, it is what it is and we can both keep picking faults with each other's replies till the cows come home. Also, please note, i never said  ALL are affected by colour cast, i just named the Big Stopper as an example and it is a professional quality filter.
I know you like to have the last word so i am now going to bow out of this, the OP is satisfied now anyway, so this will be my last reply on this matter
2021-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules