Why are my devices no longer compatible?
2965 11 2021-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Prior to purchasing my Mini2 earlier this year I checked DJI's List Of Compatible Devices to see if my mobile devices, a Huawei P30Lite and Huawei M5 Lite 8, were compatible and yes they were.
I haven't used my Mini2 in a while and noticed there's been quite a few FW and APP updates, and being the stickler for detail I checked the release notes and guidance prior to doing any updates. Viewing the current list of Compatible Devices I now see that my devices are no longer listed.

So my question is what has changed that deems these two devices to be no longer compatible with the DJI Fly APP? I know many Huawei owners experienced rendering issues after a particular update, so rather than fix the issue did DJI simply remove the effected devices from the compatibility list?

I await the same DJI CS tumbleweed response that my emails received.

2021-10-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So my question is what has changed that deems these two devices to be no longer compatible with the DJI Fly APP?

What makes you think your devices aren't compatible?
Have you tried flying with them?
DJI's list is a joke and not a comprehensive list of compatible devices.
Many of the best flying tablets have never been on on any DJI list.
2021-10-5
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

That's correct what Labroides tells you. On the list means they have tested a certain device with a certain firmware. That doesn't mean not listed devices won't work. It simply means "they didn't test it".
2021-10-5
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

As others have mentioned.  It's whether it works or not, not whether it's actually listed.  I used a Asus ZenPad 8 and it's amazing as my stand alone tablet for my Mini 2.  It's not listed, nor has it ever been listed.  As long as your devices still WORK, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Now if they WERE listed, and did work and no longer do after the most recent firmware, I would be going after DJI for that one!
2021-10-5
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Mhinc wrote “ Now if they WERE listed, and did work and no longer do after the most recent firmware, I would be going after DJI for that one!”.

This is exactly what I mean.

When I purchased the Mini2 my two devices, the Huawei P30Lite and M5Lite8, were on the list as of V1.4.0 of the DJIFLY APP. When V1.4.6 of the APP was released the two devices, along with a few others, had been removed. Interestingly when V1.4.4 was released many Huawei users, along with users of the Samsung S20, which was on the list and has also since been removed, experienced stability issues with the APP.

DJI are very tight mouthed when it comes to detailed release notes for each iteration of the APP, usually citing a generic statement like “Improved stability”. So, if I carry on using my Huawei devices, which were originally approved but apparently no longer, and I have an issue with the APP am I likely to be told that because they’re not on the list I can’t expect any assistance, as the DJI Reps in this forum have often intimated to other customers in the past?
2021-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nidge Posted at 10-6 04:38
Mhinc wrote “ Now if they WERE listed, and did work and no longer do after the most recent firmware, I would be going after DJI for that one!”.

So, if I carry on using my Huawei devices, which were originally approved but apparently no longer, and I have an issue with the APP am I likely to be told that because they’re not on the list I can’t expect any assistance, as the DJI Reps in this forum have often intimated to other customers in the past?

Have you tried flying since they were dropped of DJI's silly list?
Do they work OK?
Then you don't have a problem.
I've been flying for 6 years, having used 3 different tablets that have never been listed by DJI (but were the best available flying tablets in their time).

You can''t expect any help from the DJI people in this forum anyway as they aren't technical people and there's no evidence that any of them even fly drones.
When you see them suggesting someone should use a device from the list, that's just one of their canned, copy and paste responses and means nothing.

2021-10-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 10-6 06:18
So, if I carry on using my Huawei devices, which were originally approved but apparently no longer, and I have an issue with the APP am I likely to be told that because they’re not on the list I can’t expect any assistance, as the DJI Reps in this forum have often intimated to other customers in the past?

Have you tried flying since they were dropped of DJI's silly list?

Labroides wrote: "You can''t expect any help from the DJI people in this forum anyway as they aren't technical people and there's no evidence that any of them even fly drones.
When you see them suggesting someone should use a device from the list, that's just one of their canned, copy and paste responses and means nothing."

Precisely my opinion of DJI "moderators"! Plain jokes!
2021-10-6
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 506073 ft
United States

As long as your device still works I wouldn't sweat it. My phone isn't on the "supported list" either and works fine. There are so many phones and tablets out there they can't possibly test and approve them all.
2021-10-6
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

Mhinc wrote “ Now if they WERE listed, and did work and no longer do after the most recent firmware, I would be going after DJI for that one!”.

They likely drop phones off their "compatible" list after updates to the app. Previous/new versions of Android/iOS can destroy app compatibility. They also probably test a limited amount of phones (and/or software) and to save face, they just provide a list of what they KNOW to work so they don't have to deal with the inevitable deluge of posts asking for help with non-approved devices. To be fair, full changelogs are rarely posted for app updates in general so "improved stability" is pretty standard for many companies since the general public doesn't look into the nitty-gritty.

The phones I personally use were never on their list and have worked sufficiently. Imagine buying the latest DJI drone/mobile phone and in 1 year, DJI takes your phone off their list. I highly doubt there are much people who will rush to change their devices so that they can keep up with DJI's compatible list.  
2021-10-6
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

I mean, I don't know how far you could take it.  The fact they listed the devices as approved and then removed them is just BAD business period.
They could likely get out of it, by stating at the time that version of the app was released they were approved and were no longer in future releases.  And they would likely tell you to downgrade your app to the last one that did support your devices if it came down to them no longer working on a future release.
2021-10-7
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Thank you to everyone who replied, you all got an upvote from me.

This may all seem rather pedantic on my part, but there is method behind my madness.

Here in the UK there is a segment in our regulations that states something along the lines of “All drones must use manufacturer approved parts”, and knowing how our laws were created by folk whom wouldn't know a drone if it came up and bit them, this could be interpreted to the mobile device. Further repercussions could include insurance schedules whereby someone whom needs to make a claim could have it refused on the grounds that the mobile device was not one recommended by the manufacturer. There was a case back in 2014 where someone wanted to use the legal aid part of his policy but the insurance company declined his request because his equipment had been modified, and his policy was cancelled.

I’ve just been browsing the DJI Fly section of the forum and came across this gem from @DJI Stephen.

“ Hello there *user name removed*
I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different mobile device for us to isolate the said issue. Upon checking the said mobile device ( Pixel 3 with Android 12 Beta ) that your are trying to use on your DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Pixel 3 with Android 12 Beta will be able to work on the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mini 2. For reference, I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mini 2 ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads ). Thank you. “

It begs the question, what do DJI Devs actually do? Android Beta and prerelease ROMs are easily obtainable for development use, as would be Android devices to such a large company as DJI. Maybe this could be another unwanted side effect of the 996 system that is so prevalent in the Chinese Tech Industry.
2021-10-10
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

What kind of help do you expect if you use one of the "recommended" devices, but it still doesn't work, except "please try another mobile device" ?!
DJI also cannot "guarantee" that their APP will work "all the time" just because one of the recommended devices is used ...
There are too many variables (e.g. any APPs that "cross-shoot") ...
2021-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules