DNG instead of RAW DJI mini 2
5476 12 2021-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mamo2803
New
Flight distance : 146115 ft
Maldives

Hello! I am wondering why my DJI mini 2 gives me JPEG and DNG  pictures instead of JPEG and RAW, which i have turned on. I am using a PNY PRO elite 32GB SD card if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for all the help in advance
2021-10-6
Use props
mfries78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4615243 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

dng is exactly the same as raw.
2021-10-6
Use props
mamo2803
New
Flight distance : 146115 ft
Maldives

mfries78 Posted at 10-6 07:09
dng is exactly the same as raw.

Thank you! I am quite new to this... The PNG pictures are pixelated and blurry when viewing them on my laptop. Is there a reason for that?
2021-10-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. DNG is only one raw format. Raw is a collective term. Depending on the manufcaturer, the format name can be customized. DNG is raw format for Adobe. Raw videos shot by DJI devices are store as DNG files. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2021-10-6
Use props
Berty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 991706 ft
Japan

mamo2803 Posted at 10-6 10:07
Thank you! I am quite new to this... The PNG pictures are pixelated and blurry when viewing them on my laptop. Is there a reason for that?

I think that pixelated view is just a preview. Load them into Photoshop or some other editor and you'll have the full detail. I tend to bulk convert RAW files after a shoot.
2021-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mamo2803 Posted at 10-6 10:07
Thank you! I am quite new to this... The PNG pictures are pixelated and blurry when viewing them on my laptop. Is there a reason for that?

The PNG pictures are pixelated and blurry when viewing them on my laptop. Is there a reason for that?
You cannot view the DNG files except with special software.
If you don't have software that can read the dng format, all you'll see is the tiny jpg preview images that are inside the dng files.
2021-10-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check out Darkroom for editing raw software.   http://darkroom.co
2021-10-7
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31263 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-7 00:29
Check out Darkroom for editing raw software.   http://darkroom.co

FYI Darkroom doesn't support the Mini 2 lens profile in the DNG file and the library it uses doesn't have a profile either so any images processed will have lens distortion in them.
2021-10-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gothi Posted at 10-8 08:48
FYI Darkroom doesn't support the Mini 2 lens profile in the DNG file and the library it uses doesn't have a profile either so any images processed will have lens distortion in them.

From what Ive seen the distortion correction is very minimal.
2021-10-9
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31263 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-9 00:41
From what Ive seen the distortion correction is very minimal.

I did a fair amount of testing, the lens distortion is very visible on straight lines and there’s some vignetting as well.
If you don’t notice in your pics then no harm done, but now I know it’s there I prefer to use software which reliably removes it and any hot pixels that show up too.
2021-10-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gothi Posted at 10-9 09:55
I did a fair amount of testing, the lens distortion is very visible on straight lines and there’s some vignetting as well.
If you don’t notice in your pics then no harm done, but now I know it’s there I prefer to use software which reliably removes it and any hot pixels that show up too.

When I’ve compared  jpg to the raw dng it’s been quite minimal.  
2021-10-9
Use props
PB360VRmini2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11791 ft
Russia

Even old ACR (2017) can read embedded lens profile and fix all closer to JPG
I prefer RawTherapee but it's doesn't apply this correction so developed image has color vignetting

2021-11-13
Use props
maphew
New

Canada

gothi Posted at 2021-10-9 09:55
I did a fair amount of testing, the lens distortion is very visible on straight lines and there’s some vignetting as well.

What software do use and/or recommend to properly handle DJI DGN files and lens distortation?
2022-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules