End Of Life Action camera
935 9 2021-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Is this going to be the End of Life to the Osmo Action over  two years  may 2019, 2.5 years to be exact,  with the last update Dec 2020.  When we requested, time over time individual features to be added that would have greatly helped and improved the product and as always, it's put into the newly released models.  I asked since 2019 about a "Video timer, it's already in the photo. so its not complicated to add to the video mode, we are always recommended to check back on the Official site and we passed it to the Team, that seems to never get back to the Staff here to post their response.  It just amazes me, and others I share my info to, say, yeah I use my Iphone, really got no complaints with it.
Iphone really can do it all, sure can, but we are here talking about a DJI Product, that comes last to the table, and Drones first, while Phone Gimbals are 5 times more Popular.   Even the Pocket came out already with the 2nd generation and working on a 3rd generation as we speak, while the OA  has been written off so to speak, still a hot selling item 2.5 years later.   

I got my run for the Money for sure out of this camera, and trouble-free, with two issues one that was corrected, the battery exhaust at random turn on, and shutter adjustment only on low light shots, that a factory reset, that some said fixed theirs. other than that. I am very satisfied indeed.  I am not alone on this but this site has minimal complaints, can not speak for the other sites. that is a total turn-off of that surfer's company (no offense). GoPro.  truly bug-n-issued. send out a broken camera, pay top dollar, and gopro will try to fix it, with a hero 11 release.  rant/rave, whatever you like to call it.

Well  what DJI wants us to do is, forget the OA get the Action 2 and always check the site for an update.     this post got me 5 points  thanks for the Listening

FISH
2021-10-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Try mount your phone your helmet or when out skiiing or doing some action
2021-10-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hear what you are saying but new products mean more money for DJI and that is what their business model is all about - more money, more money.  Money first, customers second.
2021-10-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I hear ya guys:   Yeah when I skiied I basiclly did not film Lol wished I did.
2021-10-8
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Osmo Action must be one of the most cared DJI products. They kept upgrading and fixing it way past its prime. Most DJI products, even flagship ones don't get that kind of attention. Some even get abandoned without fixing major problems (like Pocket 2) . I am not saying what they are doing is right, I am simply stating that this is the way DJI operates.

I think every single DJI product I have ever owned (or used) could have been much more, but they were all held back by software; and that is sad...
2021-10-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was wondering if DJI publish a lifecycle document for their products.
2021-10-9
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Well i think Dji are not able to do any of the requested things, if it have to be done they will have to ask the SOC maker to do it, and this is not a uncommon thing, nor that the SOC maker say they can not do that anytime soon.
This is one reason why i have requested a move to a android based camera, where it is my understanding people will be more able to make a camera APP
Also some of the image processors in phones are damn capable to say the least.

There is a reason gopro and others ditched Ambrealla as a SOC maker for their cameras, i am told it can be a very frustrating company to be " in bed" with.

Not that the newer Ambraella stuff are not interesting C5 https://3vpstm1hc6e52739x31131p2 ... Brief_20SEP2021.pdf
Or the C52 https://3vpstm1hc6e52739x31131p2 ... Brief_20SEP2021.pdf
Are okay looking though C52 can only do 4K/90 so not really impressive on that simple factor so the C5 topping out at 8K/60 - 4K / ??? sound more competitive

The H22 which i think is the SOC in the Osmo Action, at least it should be CUZ the H2 can do 4K/60 HDR, anyway it is soooooo old by now.

If dji have a good Ambrealla programmer, they need to set him free to do relevant stuff and not garbage like forced on BT and WIFI, we need a good camera we can buy - charge the battery and put a memory card in - turn on and then record at once even if you are in a desert with no cellphone or other coverage, no silly have to register camera first hoop to jump thru, dji can ask that if the user might want to use some IoT features, but not for general camera operation.
Registering your camera for warranty, well it should be enough to enter a product number on a webpage, and not necessitate DL of a APP to do, i can make do having to scan a QR code to do registration.
2021-10-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

peiter Posted at 10-9 05:38
Well i think Dji are not able to do any of the requested things, if it have to be done they will have to ask the SOC maker to do it, and this is not a uncommon thing, nor that the SOC maker say they can not do that anytime soon.
This is one reason why i have requested a move to a android based camera, where it is my understanding people will be more able to make a camera APP
Also some of the image processors in phones are damn capable to say the least.

Wise words!

About Android, not sure about that since not all apps are working great all time (crash/freeze etc).
I also hope for no need to register to use a device, like you mentioned.
2021-10-9
Use props
Gollan
lvl.4
Canada

I am happy with my Action and consider it to be a good bargain. It won't stop working when the "Action 2" is released. My Action's "end of life" will be when I eventually wear it out. Sure, it would be nice to have more time lapse and long exposure options, and a delay before a video, but it makes sense that DJI staff have turned their attention to new products. Firmware updates have costs and risks as they impact developers, testing staff and support staff. My interest in the Action 2 is for a second action camera, not because I want to retire my Action.
2021-10-10
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

The OA at its current low price are a SOB good deal for sure.

I Fear Dji have build a new camera around the " meager " H32 SOC,,,,,, and that would be too bad, they should build on the Spectra 580 ISP ( me of course not privy to the costs of building on whatever )
Or if the Spectra 580 can be had without the many other phone things it are usually stitched together with.
But i would like to see something other dedicated people could develop for too, and so not just be locked in to whatever dji have.
2021-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules