Not knowing their own software?
1005 11 2021-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

Reading threads about software and the malfunctions I get a feeling that the DJI developers didn't originally developed this code. To me it looks like DJI developers are still trying to figure out how the code works and occationally put out an "update" to see if it works ...
2021-10-10
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Actually they should put up a test scenario with the main functionalities, being runned before releasing. Doesn't matter if they develop the software themselves or not.
I've declined software versions before because the problem was solved, but another problem showed up. That why you have test scenario's. It's easy to overlook a glitch when you developed software. One need a 3rd person or another team checking the version.
2021-10-10
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

It's irrelevant who developed the code as it is extremely sloppy. Since DJI never tell us what changes they make, or make bland overarching statements, we have to make assumptions on what they've changed. This latest version seems to have been primarily about implementing live streaming. That being the case, there should be no way that doing so should cause the Home point to use the distance data to determine it's location on the compass. The only way they could screw that up is if they were tinkering with the compass feature as well. If that's the case, then they should have spotted it during testing, prior to making it available to the public.
2021-10-11
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

The thing about reading this forum is that you'll get biased responses. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but of the 60 posts on the front page, 22 are currently asking for help with app/drone issues. Most people who have problems will go to this forum directly to get help (that's the reason I personally found this forum in the first place). So you have to keep in mind that you're only getting a snippet of what the userbase is experiencing. Typically, the general public doesn't engage in public forums, it's mainly the more dedicated users which comprise a small percentage.

It's not that developers don't test out the app, that would be ridiculous. Though it can feel that way sometimes. Coding is complex and updates often affect how previous versions work, especially if they introduce a new feature. It's why they have betas. There are just so many variables that affect whether an app works properly from your device hardware/software to DJI's own competence.

That said, I would prefer if DJI gave us more comprehensive changelogs with each app update as opposed to "increased stability/performance." Just look at google chrome, they also throw out the "increased stability" with every app version but they also upload specific changelogs on their developer site for people who are more interested/inclined to take a closer look. It would help to see the more intricate details for anyone that's worried about new updates not working for them.
2021-10-11
Use props
Switch639
lvl.4
Germany

I cannot agree totally that they test the app before hand. as how is it possible to get old faults again in latest apps? suppose to be upgrades not upgrades with previous existing problems... the compass problem was long ago now its back
2021-10-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There were rumours some of the code was outsourced many years ago.
2021-10-12
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC Posted at 10-11 11:28
The thing about reading this forum is that you'll get biased responses. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but of the 60 posts on the front page, 22 are currently asking for help with app/drone issues. Most people who have problems will go to this forum directly to get help (that's the reason I personally found this forum in the first place). So you have to keep in mind that you're only getting a snippet of what the userbase is experiencing. Typically, the general public doesn't engage in public forums, it's mainly the more dedicated users which comprise a small percentage.

It's not that developers don't test out the app, that would be ridiculous. Though it can feel that way sometimes. Coding is complex and updates often affect how previous versions work, especially if they introduce a new feature. It's why they have betas. There are just so many variables that affect whether an app works properly from your device hardware/software to DJI's own competence.

Coding is complex and updates often affect how previous versions work, especially if they introduce a new feature. It's why they have betas.

I'll repeat what I said before, implementing live streaming should NOT have any effect on the compass indicator.

We are the Beta testers, as it's the users who are identifying the issues, not the people at DJI, and yet DJI are always pushing us to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of the app.
2021-10-12
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

Switch639 Posted at 10-11 21:56
I cannot agree totally that they test the app before hand. as how is it possible to get old faults again in latest apps? suppose to be upgrades not upgrades with previous existing problems... the compass problem was long ago now its back

...not upgrades with previous existing problems... the compass problem was long ago now its back

Is the current compass problem i.e. the Home point moving around the compass based on distance; the same compass problem that you refer to from a previous build?
2021-10-12
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

steamship Posted at 10-12 03:42
Coding is complex and updates often affect how previous versions work, especially if they introduce a new feature. It's why they have betas.

I'll repeat what I said before, implementing live streaming should NOT have any effect on the compass indicator.

What's the compass issue?
2021-10-12
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Russia

I was referring to the compass issue as shown in a video that George GR posted on the 9th October:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=250995

Since then, DJI has provided another updated version of the app which appears to have resolved the situation.
2021-10-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

steamship Posted at 10-11 10:03
It's irrelevant who developed the code as it is extremely sloppy. Since DJI never tell us what changes they make, or make bland overarching statements, we have to make assumptions on what they've changed. This latest version seems to have been primarily about implementing live streaming. That being the case, there should be no way that doing so should cause the Home point to use the distance data to determine it's location on the compass. The only way they could screw that up is if they were tinkering with the compass feature as well. If that's the case, then they should have spotted it during testing, prior to making it available to the public.

they made a change to the compass indicator, the N icon is moved from the outer ring to more to the center, so the HP and RC icon are better visible now.

But agree, prior to release a new version....do testing. Analyzing 1 flight ; easy to spot the errors...

cheers
JJB
2021-10-14
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC Posted at 10-11 11:28
The thing about reading this forum is that you'll get biased responses. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but of the 60 posts on the front page, 22 are currently asking for help with app/drone issues. Most people who have problems will go to this forum directly to get help (that's the reason I personally found this forum in the first place). So you have to keep in mind that you're only getting a snippet of what the userbase is experiencing. Typically, the general public doesn't engage in public forums, it's mainly the more dedicated users which comprise a small percentage.

You are correct on that, DJI will have test some parts of the coding.
Often the new features are tested thoroughly, but the existing features (code) is not tested because it worked in the past.
A program doesn't exist of just coding but also variables, constants,...
By optimizing some parts those variables need to be parced from one snip of code to another. If a certain variable isn't parced correctly it might jackup the response of other code. I feel this was the case in this incident. The code could have been correct, but a parameter was lost in the parcing, which made the position of the homepoint not responding.

For that reason they should have a procedure of testing also existing and already working functions.
We are not beta testers, but programming is quite complex and tiny adjustments might have a big influence on the program itself.
2021-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules