Question about maximum altitude in Europe
5978 10 2021-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droneriffledchi
lvl.2

Latvia

I am planning on buying the drone, but my country laws state that I can't fly the drone over 120 meters (don't plan on going even near that altitude anyway). If I understand correctly, I can set my maximum altitude in the app to 120 meters and the drone will simply not go over it. My question however is, if I remove the altitude limit in the app and I not located in any flight restriction zone as per my country drone map and the DJI fly safe geo map, will the drone still force me to fly under 120 meters, or the drone will then be able to bypass the limit with just giving me the warning label? I am asking this in order to know if I even need to use the max altitude slider in Europe, or the slider is only really useful for limiting the drone to other altitudes like 50 meters if I so wished for photography or recording purposes? In other words, will the Mini 2 never be able to cross the 120 meters in Europe regardless of what I do with the in-app settings?
2021-10-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can fly higher that 120 meters, if the slider is set to the max.
2021-10-13
Use props
Switch639
Second Officer
Germany

Some areas do have automatic fencing... when I fly near the airport at the ocean where I am from it restricts me automatically to 60m
2021-10-13
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

The drone can be operated till a maximum altitude of 4000m above sealevel.

I believe if you put the slider as far up as possible, you get a maximum altitude of 500m calculated from the place of takeoff.  You need to set the slider to 120m in Europe, otherwise you will be able to accend above that ceiling.
In some cases, in the near of an airport, like Switch639 wrote, your height will be automatically limited. see https://www.dji.com/flysafe/introduction

But outside those zones, the maximum altitude from takeoff is limited by the settings of the max altitude slider.

2021-10-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

in my opinion, the proper use of the slider is to prevent the drone from exceeding the maximum altitude when restricted in controlled airspace where it is possible you might interfere with manned aircraft.  personally i don't use the slider to comply with the law in my country (same as yours).

in other words, if i receive authorization to fly only up to 200 feet, i change the setting. when i receive authorization to fly only up to 100 feet, i change the setting again.  i might not change the setting at 50 feet (depending on conditions) but for sure, when i move to uncontrolled airspace, i don't change the setting to 400 feet (max).

if i recall correctly, this setting will also defeat your return to home altitude which is a good thing because i leave mine right around 350 feet (ymmv);i am hardly ever in a situation where i am flying underneath an overhead or i am so low on battery that i need a low-angle rth.

by the way, 400 feet is not very high.  you can get most of what you need done below 400 feet but there are lots of situations where 400 feet above ground level is not high enough.  when i fly in uncontrolled airspace, i reach 400 feet pretty much every time i fly at some point.

to finish an earlier thought, when flying in uncontrolled airspace where there is no upper limit set (besides the legal limit), i let my piloting skills take over and do not rely on the limiter setting.  ;)

2021-10-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JohnDG Posted at 10-13 06:39
The drone can be operated till a maximum altitude of 4000m above sealevel.

I believe if you put the slider as far up as possible, you get a maximum altitude of 500m calculated from the place of takeoff.  You need to set the slider to 120m in Europe, otherwise you will be able to accend above that ceiling.

You need to set the slider to 120m in Europe, otherwise you will be able to ascend above that ceiling.
Europe would have pancake flat for that to be true.
You just have to be within 120m of the ground below the drone, not the launchpoint.
There are many situations where you can fly much higher than 120m relative to the launch point, but still be in compliance with regulations.

2021-10-13
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Labroides Posted at 10-13 17:29
You need to set the slider to 120m in Europe, otherwise you will be able to ascend above that ceiling.
Europe would have pancake flat for that to be true.
You just have to be within 120m of the ground below the drone, not the launchpoint.

That is correct, Labroides. If you fly to higher ground, you'll be closer to ground level if limit was set.

Does that also mean when you took off from a hill and fly over a valley, exceding 120m above ground, you're in violation?

That would actually mean setting the maximum height has no value at all (for legal flight height), because it takes the takeoff point as 0 ?
As I understand it good, you could fly higher over an elevated ground and you're in violation when you fly over a lower ground.
2021-10-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there droneriffledchi. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference, please be mindful of the location where in you are flying your DJI Drone and kindly please always check if the said location where in you want to fly your DJI drone is a No Fly Zone or if it is a free to fly your DJI Drone. For additional reference I will post a DJI link where in you can check our DJI Flysafe link at ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) to see if a certain area or location is free to fly your DJI drone or if it is a no fly zone ( NFZ ).  Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-10-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JohnDG Posted at 10-13 18:01
That is correct, Labroides. If you fly to higher ground, you'll be closer to ground level if limit was set.

Does that also mean when you took off from a hill and fly over a valley, exceding 120m above ground, you're in violation?

That would actually mean setting the maximum height has no value at all (for legal flight height), because it takes the takeoff point as 0 ?
It doesn't matter what Max height you set in the app settings.
All that's important is how high your drone above the ground below it.
It's not hard to estimate and fly safe.
2021-10-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

2021-10-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Max = 500meters AGL - Useful and legal if youre flying up a mountain.
2021-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules