What map does Mini 2 use in DJI Fly app in the bottom corner on iOS?
2823 8 2021-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droneriffledchi
lvl.2

Latvia

I live in an area with pretty poor mapping services, lots of roads, forests etc. aren't mapped well depending on the mapping service. I was wondering what map service does DJI Fly app on Mini 2 use? I have seen mentions that it is Google Maps and in some videos you can see Google logo in the corner of the map, but in other videos the map looks distinctively differenet and does not have Google maps logo. Found an older post from 2020 where one user wrote that on Android phone the Fly app uses Google maps but on Iphone it uses Apple maps. Which one is it then, and since I have an older iPhone, what map service would I get in the DJI Fly app?
2021-10-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I had to guess I would say it is the map from the mobile device that you are using with the Remote Control.  However, I'm sure a Mod will come along soon and give you a definitive answer.  
2021-10-14
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just open the app and find out, prob Apple maps if i had to guess, I am Android so i get google maps
2021-10-14
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-14 03:57
If I had to guess I would say it is the map from the mobile device that you are using with the Remote Control.  However, I'm sure a Mod will come along soon and give you a definitive answer.

The phone (Android) that I use with the controller has nothing enabled and has no SIM-card.
No GPS, no wifi, no bluetooth, nothing! Yet I can fly and the map is there.
2021-10-14
Use props
droneriffledchi
lvl.2

Latvia

Bashy Posted at 10-14 04:05
Just open the app and find out, prob Apple maps if i had to guess, I am Android so i get google maps

I don't have the drone yet, which is why I am asking here. If it was as easy to just check myself I wouldn't ask here
2021-10-14
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Johnny_J Posted at 10-14 04:12
The phone (Android) that I use with the controller has nothing enabled and has no SIM-card.

it uses an offline google maps. When you check on the flight history, you'll note the "Google" sign.

And yes, it is offline. I'm using an SC, no connection, no simcard in it, totally offline, and I also have the map.
2021-10-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

droneriffledchi Posted at 10-14 04:19
I don't have the drone yet, which is why I am asking here. If it was as easy to just check myself I wouldn't ask here

You can install the app and enter camera view without connecting a drone.
2021-10-14
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 10-14 04:12

The fly app is probably using googles api
2021-10-15
Use props
brew99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77438 ft
Canada

When I use the fly app on my iphone, it is using Apple maps.   I even have Google Maps installed, but it defaults to the Apple maps.   Maybe if you use a viewing device that has no data connection, it uses a built-in Google maps, not sure about that, but it seems that those that have no data connection are getting maps from google.
2021-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules