Few more questions about Mini 2 general usage
487 7 2021-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droneriffledchi
lvl.2

Latvia

Hello. Yesterday I made a post with a few questions about the drone and there were many helpful answers. After reading the answers, looking at a few more videos and posts I think I am pretty sure I am going to buy the drone, but I just wanted to clarify a couple of more things first. I would like last time appreciate any replies to any question.

1. Are the blades extremely dangerous when the drone is in operation? I know that with some bigger drones you generally have to consider the blades in operation as being saws that could cause major cuts, but is that also the case with the mini 2? If that is the case, then the small form factor seems even scarier than having a larger drone.

2. Found both conflicting answers and videos regarding the drone operating beyond obstacles. While you always have to keep visual line of sight, what would happen if the drone went behind, for example, a 50 meters wide patch of wood between the operator and the drone? Would that mean instant loss of signal, or just possibly lowered signal? In one video a person flies behind two multiple story buildings and only then begins to lose the signal just a little bit, but in another a person mentions that even few trees between the remote and drone will make the drone lose signal completely, which is why I am confused about this.

3. In lots of videos during landing the operator has pointed the camera gimbal completely downwards for better landing accuracy, but just before landing in every video the gimbal is always put back in forward looking position. Why is that? Does the gimbal in a lowered position means that the drone would land on its own camera?

4. I found a site called airdata.com in which you can look at your flight telemetry and it offers me to upload some kind of a file to look at the said telemetry. Is such a file stored on the drone memory after flight?

5. Why does fly combo pack contains extra remote sticks, are those prone to be lost or breaking?

6. How noticable is the difference in range between flying in US (FFC mode) and flying in Europe (CE mode)? Some posts mention 30% loss in range in Europe, would that be approximately accurate?

7. Would you buy care refresh if you plan on only doing very simple, cautious occasional flights?

8. In my region the difference between Mini 2 and Mini 2 fly combo pack is 150 euros, is that difference worth the extra batteries and charger than comes with the fly combo pack, if there is no plan on doing one hour long flights with battery changing?

2021-10-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

3. you can use the function button to look down, or go back to zero with the gimble camera.

4. I found a site called airdata.com in which you can look at your  flight telemetry and it offers me to upload some kind of a file to look  at the said telemetry. Is such a file stored on the drone memory after  flight?  YES

5. Why does fly combo pack contains extra remote sticks, are those prone to be lost or breaking?  Do you lose stuff?  That's it.  My spares are still in the box.

6. How noticable is the difference in range between flying in US (FFC  mode) and flying in Europe (CE mode)? Some posts mention 30% loss in  range in Europe, would that be approximately accurate?  Do you travel from region to region a lot?

7. Would you buy care refresh if you plan on only doing very simple, cautious occasional flights? It's for total newbs, it's a cheap protection ... but you are still under warranty, and care refresh is still not 100% covered in cost should you need it.  (costly with or without it)  I bought into it, will not renew it.

8. In my region the difference between Mini 2 and Mini 2  fly combo pack is 150 euros, is that difference worth the extra  batteries and charger than comes with the fly combo pack, if there is no  plan on doing one hour long flights with battery changing?   YES the combo is always a better deal, unless you only need one battery.

2021-10-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

3. In lots of videos during landing the operator has pointed the camera gimbal completely downwards for better landing accuracy, but just before landing in every video the gimbal is always put back in forward looking position. Why is that? Does the gimbal in a lowered position means that the drone would land on its own camera?

The drone points the camera back up automatically to keep from landing on the camera lens. You cannot stop that.
2021-10-14
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

1. As a rule of thumb.. anything that spins at those speeds requires caution haha. That said, I've personally seen some minor cuts from the mini 2. They resemble paper cuts but that varies on how fast you react I would guess. Nothing compared to some real bad cuts from the mavic pro, mavic air etc (but still bad, who likes cuts?)

2. You get conflicted answers likely due to signal interference, remote controller orientation, or region the pilot is in (EU vs US). Flying behind a patch of wood 50 m away from you is NOT likely to cause problems in an open field at all. Flying behind multiple story buildings and losing a bit of signal would be in line with what I've experienced. I can do ~2 km in the suburbs before I lose signal completely and the drone will RTH. Along that 2 km I will lose signal a bit. To contrast, I've seen videos of people going 6 km flying over countryside/desert/lakes (one way).

3. Personally never had this issue so I can't help with this one sorry.

4. Stored on your phone in the DJI fly app folder, not on the drone. There's a couple of online sites that allow you to view your flight data as well some nice software enthusiasts have developed.

5. Extra remote sticks just in case. I feel that they're well made. Just handy to have extras since they're small and can be easy to lose.

6. Yes flying in Europe should give you less range without a doubt. 30% loss sounds about right, DJI claims a 40% drop in max transmission range for CE

7. Buying DJI care refresh is never a bad thing because of unforeseen variables (water, wind etc). No matter how careful someone is, accidents happen. I personally don't have it but I will get it if the mini 3 comes out this year. My ass is always flying simple cautious flights. Honestly I should push the drone more but I personally don't have much time to fly due to COVID-19 and I'd be devastated if I lost my drone.

8. Yes. So worth it but if your usage is limited to a single flight, then yeah there's no reason for you to get more batteries (taking family photos etc). I can't imagine flying with only 1 battery. I use 1 battery to scout out the area/flight conditions and the other 2 for capturing footage.
Hope that helps!
2021-10-14
Use props
droneriffledchi
lvl.2

Latvia

Thanks all for the answers!
2021-10-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1) they knock away more easily than the stiff pivoted Mavics which does seem to lessen their danger. I have, for several reasons, caught my fingers a few times with Mavic Mini props, from memory only one time drew blood. The others left the area tingling, Mini 2 props are supposedly stronger or stiffer so they might be slightly more dangerous.

That said I would not deliberately get any part of me in their way and MOST DEFINITELY nothing around the face and eyes.

2) no real rule of thumb, it depends on the nature of the flying enviroment and the nature of the obstacle.
3) automatic behaviour as the drone gets low
4) BEFORE uploading  enmasse to anywhere I would back up, to  external memory e.g. your computer, any logs. And that includes the DAT files. Then choose, from your computer, the txt files that you wish to upload  to where ever.
5) people loose or drop sticks and they may drop into unretrievable places.
6) are you not 'stuck' with the mode prescribed in your area? Unless you want to start hacking the software?
7) Depends on the price of the policy and the price of each replacement, I did get it for a Mavic Mini but didn't use it and consequently did not get it for a Mini 2 (from memory the prices increased too).
8) Unless you are absolutely certain you will never fly more than 1 battery's worth in one session then I would say yes the flymore is the better appoach. The bag seems fairly good and the charging hub is an excellent case for the spare batteries.
2021-10-14
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

droneriffledchi, I am just going to say something about the spinning propellers.  I used to have the Mavic Pro Platinum and on one flight
my thumb slipped on the joy-stick and if I had not been quick, I would have had a sliced forehead.  It was just one of those things that
do happen.  I always wore a helmet when I flew RC Helicopters, but had not used it on that day.  NOW, I never fly without a helmet, OR
Propeller Guards.  If you would feel the small edge of those blades on the Mini-2, they are sharp.  However, that IS the trailing edge,
and the leading edge is much more blunt.  Caution is always a good ingredient in a flight plan.  Hope this all helps you.
2021-10-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

1. Are the blades extremely dangerous when the drone is in operation? I know that with some bigger drones you generally have to consider the blades in operation as being saws that could cause major cuts, but is that also the case with the mini 2? If that is the case, then the small form factor seems even scarier than having a larger drone.

See this post for the MA2, not a big deal: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220460

2021-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules