Nikon Z6, timelapse and focus ?
1558 4 2021-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4c572fab
lvl.1
Germany

Hello.

I recently got the RSC 2 gimbal and am preparing it for some travel shooting, as it is small packing and stuff.

I tested the timelapse function under CREATE in the Ronin app, and while curves in timelapse and track mode would be appreciated, I have another question.

When the RSC 2 triggers the photo to be made, the camera does not focus automatically. Is there a setting I am missing? My camera (Nikon Z6) is set to AF-S and AF-C (tried both), and while I can understand having a fixed focus might avoid rapid focus breathing, is there an option to let the Z6 focus? Or can one set a focus shift, since you can control the focus via gimbal anyway?

Thanks for any pointers.
2021-10-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, to set up focus pull, please enter the live view of the camera, set the lens focus mode to AF, and set the camera focus mode to AF-S. For more details, please refer to the 'Setup Method' through the link below. https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rsc-2/z6
2021-10-21
Use props
icewater
lvl.1

Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-21 00:26
Hi there, to set up focus pull, please enter the live view of the camera, set the lens focus mode to AF, and set the camera focus mode to AF-S. For more details, please refer to the 'Setup Method' through the link below. https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rsc-2/z6

Thanks for that answer. I have exactly the same problem. However, the answer doesn't help. In the time-lapse function, the Nikon 6ZII does not focus - even in live view mode, activated AF function for the lens and with the AF-S setting. It doesn't work with the AF-C setting either. I have also tested a wide variety of focus fields (such as multiple and single fields). With the AF-F mode, the camera will focus continuously. But this mode is only available in the video area.
In AF-S and AF-C modes, the shutter release button must be pressed halfway for the camera to focus. The RSC-2 does not seem to transmit this impulse. How is it with other camera systems?
The only way to solve the problem is to combine the camera's interval function with the time-lapse function of the RSC-2. To do this, the cable connection must be unplugged and the two systems work independently. In the interval function there is the option "Focus before every shutter release". That is exactly the trigger that RSC-2 should also bring. Can this be solved with a firmware update from DJI? That would be awesome.
I am very grateful for further tips.
2021-12-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

icewater Posted at 2021-12-29 13:37
Thanks for that answer. I have exactly the same problem. However, the answer doesn't help. In the time-lapse function, the Nikon 6ZII does not focus - even in live view mode, activated AF function for the lens and with the AF-S setting. It doesn't work with the AF-C setting either. I have also tested a wide variety of focus fields (such as multiple and single fields). With the AF-F mode, the camera will focus continuously. But this mode is only available in the video area.
In AF-S and AF-C modes, the shutter release button must be pressed halfway for the camera to focus. The RSC-2 does not seem to transmit this impulse. How is it with other camera systems?
The only way to solve the problem is to combine the camera's interval function with the time-lapse function of the RSC-2. To do this, the cable connection must be unplugged and the two systems work independently. In the interval function there is the option "Focus before every shutter release". That is exactly the trigger that RSC-2 should also bring. Can this be solved with a firmware update from DJI? That would be awesome.

Hi there, sorry that you're having this issue. May I confirm that do you mean the camera will not trigger autofocus when you halfway press the camera control button on RSC2? And you can only trigger autofocus by halfway pressing the button on the camera itself? Could you please provide us with a video for better confirmation?
2022-1-1
Use props
icewater
lvl.1

Switzerland

Thanks for the answer. - No, that's not the problem. When I release a photo, the RSC2 gives the Nikon Z6II the correct impulse to focus. It's about timelaps: The first image has to be focused manually. There is no option to select tracking and auto-focusing for all subsequent images. If you change the depth in the sequence of images with a timelap, only the first images are in focus.
2022-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules