Phone case is to big for cable from controller?
7789 31 2021-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrNobody
lvl.2
Flight distance : 960289 ft
United States

The USB-c to lighting cable that comes with the mini 2 with the right angle wil not fit my iphone with the case on it.

Can i replace it with any USB-C to lighting cable? A cable with a stright plug should work.

Thanks in advanced!
2021-10-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. You may try check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if those cables that you need for your DJI Mini 2 remote controller to connect your mobile devoice is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and please be safe always.
2021-10-19
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

You can't just use a USB-C to lighting cable, it has to be an OTG cable.  I had the same issue with my Android device.  The right angle wouldn't fit with my Otterbox Defender.  Best suggestion to make your life easy, is grab an extender on Amazon. Just a short female to male lighting adapater.
I did the same for my Android.  Got this;

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product ... 0_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think something like this would solve your issues

https://www.amazon.ca/KOKKIA-Sli ... =electronics&sr=1-5

Hope that helps

2021-10-19
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-19 20:21
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. You may try check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if those cables that you need for your DJI Mini 2 remote controller to connect your mobile devoice is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and please be safe always.

What DJI needs to do is either include an extender with the kits they sell because the 90 Degree angle cables do not fit with many phones that have cases attached!  Or make it a straight connection that comes with the kit.  This should have been simple market research before putting the product out.
2021-10-19
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

Mhinc Posted at 10-19 20:48
You can't just use a USB-C to lighting cable, it has to be an OTG cable.  I had the same issue with my Android device.  The right angle wouldn't fit with my Otterbox Defender.  Best suggestion to make your life easy, is grab an extender on Amazon. Just a short female to male lighting adapater.

Yes i have the same case!
2021-10-20
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

Mhinc Posted at 10-19 21:00
What DJI needs to do is either include an extender with the kits they sell because the 90 Degree angle cables do not fit with many phones that have cases attached!  Or make it a straight connection that comes with the kit.  This should have been simple market research before putting the product out.

Yeah i have to remove my case in order for the cable it comes with to work.
2021-10-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mhinc Posted at 10-19 20:48
You can't just use a USB-C to lighting cable, it has to be an OTG cable.  I had the same issue with my Android device.  The right angle wouldn't fit with my Otterbox Defender.  Best suggestion to make your life easy, is grab an extender on Amazon. Just a short female to male lighting adapater.

Thanks for sharing the link.  Needed one for my Android phone.
2021-10-20
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-20 02:45
Thanks for sharing the link.  Needed one for my Android phone.

Shows out of stock for me. Who would think a simple cable would be hard to come by.
2021-10-20
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

MrNobody Posted at 10-20 02:13
Yeah i have to remove my case in order for the cable it comes with to work.

In my opinion.  The point of a case is to protect your device, that last thing that should be expected is to have to remove it each time you want to use it to fly.  Poorly thought out plans on DJIs side
2021-10-20
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-20 02:45
Thanks for sharing the link.  Needed one for my Android phone.

Happy to help!
2021-10-20
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

MrNobody Posted at 10-20 03:09
Shows out of stock for me. Who would think a simple cable would be hard to come by.

Keep an eye on it, it was out of stock the first time I checked for it, then came back in within a few days.
2021-10-20
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

Mhinc Posted at 10-20 03:18
In my opinion.  The point of a case is to protect your device, that last thing that should be expected is to have to remove it each time you want to use it to fly.  Poorly thought out plans on DJIs side

I agree my big case has  saved my phone many times.
2021-10-20
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

Mhinc Posted at 10-20 03:19
Keep an eye on it, it was out of stock the first time I checked for it, then came back in within a few days.

Will this one work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WQ1LY5D/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All it needs is OTG right?

2021-10-20
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

As far as I know any data / power cable should work? An OTG cable on my android anyway is for attaching USB drives etc?

I purchased a 1mtr and a 1/2 metre cable from ebay both work perfectly! Also have 8 inch one which works, cant be bothered to work out cm :-)
2021-10-20
Use props
scubaAnn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4425230 ft
United States

I just put a little lighting adaptor on mine and it works perfect.  
2021-10-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can buy another cable with a longer Lightening connector body. I just ordered one for my step son's iPhone.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SR ... t_b_product_details
----Ooops, that one is for the Mini remote control. I am pretty sure they make one for the Mini 2 also.

https://www.amazon.com/VCUTECH-L ... WNrPXRydWU&th=1

2021-10-20
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-20 13:44
You can buy another cable with a longer Lightening connector body. I just ordered one for my step son's iPhone.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SR ... t_b_product_details
----Ooops, that one is for the Mini remote control. I am pretty sure they make one for the Mini 2 also.

It has the same issue as the DJI cable. The right handed lighting connector will not reach the port on a iphone in a defender case.

1.jpg
2021-10-20
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

MrNobody Posted at 10-20 03:21
Will this one work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WQ1LY5D/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ya that should work without issue
2021-10-20
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

whiteghost Posted at 10-20 09:55
As far as I know any data / power cable should work? An OTG cable on my android anyway is for attaching USB drives etc?

You have always needed an OTG cable for connecting remote to device.  A standard data transfer/charge cable will not work
2021-10-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

MrNobody Posted at 10-20 14:57
It has the same issue as the DJI cable. The right handed lighting connector will not reach the port on a iphone in a defender case.

You need one with straight connectors, not 90 degree. The one you linked to earlier should work just fine. Or a smaller case.
2021-10-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MrNobody Posted at 10-20 14:57
It has the same issue as the DJI cable. The right handed lighting connector will not reach the port on a iphone in a defender case.

If you look carefully at the ones I posted, they extend further out before turning 90 degrees. Almost all other cables, like the DJI one, are very close. I have verified that the first cable (for the Mini) I linked does work with the iPhone with a very thick ruggedized case (sealed shop work environment). The second one should also work. Notice the extra space for the case in this image:

cable spacing.png
2021-10-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

That may work but it will be easily snagged since it protrudes away from the remote and phone. I would not trust one that it is not verified to work with DJI equipment. Notice that the ad specifically states this: "Not support Drone."
2021-10-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

MrNobody Posted at 10-20 03:09

Just checked and it still shows available on the Amazon US website.

I ordered yesterday and show delivery for 10/23.

2021-10-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

2021-10-21
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-21 02:08
Just checked and it still shows available on the Amazon US website.

I ordered yesterday and show delivery for 10/23.

That is for Android. Apple has yet to use USB-C on the iPhone.
2021-10-21
Use props
MrNobody
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-20 18:20
If you look carefully at the ones I posted, they extend further out before turning 90 degrees. Almost all other cables, like the DJI one, are very close. I have verified that the first cable (for the Mini) I linked does work with the iPhone with a very thick ruggedized case (sealed shop work environment). The second one should also work. Notice the extra space for the case in this image:

Maybe so it is hard to tell from the pictures. I'm going to buy  a few and try them out!

What is the link for between your phone and the DJI controller? Is it just for the video feed and gps?

Thanks for the help!
2021-10-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MrNobody Posted at 10-21 02:59
Maybe so it is hard to tell from the pictures. I'm going to buy  a few and try them out!

What is the link for between your phone and the DJI controller? Is it just for the video feed and gps?

It is for all data and video, i.e. everything needed for DJI.
2021-10-21
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Try the Dji store or Anker.com and see what they have.
2021-10-22
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mhinc Posted at 10-19 21:00

DJI assume we all use our phones naked . See OSMO line.
2021-10-22
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Maxi3D Posted at 10-22 10:29
DJI assume we all use our phones naked . See OSMO line.

Ha ha yes indeed.  
2021-10-23
Use props
jscot
lvl.1

Brazil

Hi. I read the thread about removing the rubber grips so I can use my iPhone X in the LifeProof case. The problem is the cord won’t fit as the case blocks it from plugging in. Is there a fix? The thought of removing my phone every time makes me cuckoo.
2022-6-22
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

Removing the phone case before using it in the controller is a good practice that avoids disconnections during the flight. I always remove the rubber case of my iPhone 12 Pro because when the case is on, the connector is not completely plugged in. As an alternative, you can enlarge the hole in the case, cutting away some rubber.
2022-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules