Self Unlocking Not Working
7926 14 2021-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf2e52ec4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 147956 ft
United States

The self-unlock feature has been behaving erratically and not working as intended. Yesterday it almost cost me a job, which was time sensitive as there was a brief break in the weather that allowed for flight.
I fly with the P4P V2 and Crystal Sky. The self-unlock feature has never worked for me on Crystal Sky, and you cannot see any unlocking licenses as the term "unlocking licenses" does not appear in the menu after pressing the 3 dots in the upper right "...". Until recently, I have been able to self unlock up by first using a phone or tablet to successfully self unlock and then immediately plugging in the Crystal Sky. However, last week that process failed to work, and I had to use my tablet (with a dim screen) as a monitor for the entire flight.
Yesterday, I wasn't able to self-unlock at all, using my phone and the DJI GO 4 app. I kept getting error messages, or "failed to unlock" type messages. As a workaround, I went to the DJI self-unlocking site and was able to get unlocking licenses sent and imported into the aircraft. However, after launching the drone and clicking the checkboxes on the monitor (I am authorized; I accept responsiblity for the flight, etc) and hitting the confirm button, nothing happened. I tried several more times and even rebooted all devices with no different result.  I then hit the cancel button instead of confirm and it got about 20' AGL and then locked up due to the restricted airspace. I landed, launched again, and hit cancel again, and for some reason it worked and I was able to complete the mission.

What is going on with DJI's self unlocking feature? Is it this difficult for anyone else? It has come very close to making it impossible to fly, in spite of following all of the regulations and getting the proper permissions from the FAA. It has cost me time on-site and nearly cost me and my client money yesterday.

2021-10-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We replied to you here, please check.https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2575888
2021-10-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always self unlock online before heading out,  that way you know you are prepared.
2021-10-21
Use props
fansf2e52ec4
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-21 23:38
I always self unlock online before heading out,  that way you know you are prepared.

According to DJI, you can self unlock on-site or on their website. I have also done the unlocking ahead of time on their website, but still cannot fly using the CrystalSky out of the gate. Which is strange, because Import the unlocking licenses to the aircraft. So why does the type of monitor matter? I have to bring another mobile device, connect that to the P4P, double check the licenses are active (green) and then disconnect it and connect the CrysalSky.

In this instance, I downloaded the unlocking licenses while on-site from DJI's website, and still was not able to take off, with CrystalSky or my smartphone. For some reason hitting "cancel" on the menu with the permissions finally allowed me to fly.
2021-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansf2e52ec4 Posted at 10-22 08:43
According to DJI, you can self unlock on-site or on their website. I have also done the unlocking ahead of time on their website, but still cannot fly using the CrystalSky out of the gate. Which is strange, because Import the unlocking licenses to the aircraft. So why does the type of monitor matter? I have to bring another mobile device, connect that to the P4P, double check the licenses are active (green) and then disconnect it and connect the CrysalSky.

In this instance, I downloaded the unlocking licenses while on-site from DJI's website, and still was not able to take off, with CrystalSky or my smartphone. For some reason hitting "cancel" on the menu with the permissions finally allowed me to fly.

You get the licence ahead of time a d sync up the controller before leaving home. That way you know you’ve got the licence ready to go.
2021-10-22
Use props
fansf2e52ec4
lvl.2
United States

Regardless of which method you choose, does it not present you with the 3 questions upon lift-off, such as do you have authorization and do you accept responsibility? I could not get past this screen after downloading the unlocking licenses from the website.
2021-10-22
Use props
StaceyH
lvl.1
United States

I have been having the same problem. Self unlocking is not working and it always used to work fine. I get the three questions and click unlock and it gets stuck on that screen. If I click cancel (the only thing I can click to get out of it), it then asks me two questions and I click verify (I forget the exact wording of it all), and it says unlock failed. Very frustrating when I am at jobs and I can't fly. It used to work in the past and in the past few weeks it has started doing this to me every time I need to unlock.
2021-11-4
Use props
djiuser_IxnWeWjPIb7J
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121503 ft
United States

I have the same problem. When self unlocking there are questions where i can enter something but it clears up whenever i go to the next question like the pilot info and the submit button is always greyed out.
2021-12-10
Use props
djiuser_IxnWeWjPIb7J
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121503 ft
United States

I have the same problem. When self unlocking there are questions where i can enter something but it clears up whenever i go to the next question like the pilot info and the submit button is always greyed out.
2021-12-10
Use props
DJY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 295906 ft
United States

Nothing ever works with DJI products. Crystal Sky never works with Pix4D, self unlocking constantly fails. I can go on and on. Go with a company like Autel. There's a reason DJI doesn't offer a simple 1-800 customer support contact. They would be flooded with numerous complaints about thier products.
2022-2-16
Use props
GTS 350
lvl.4

United States

DJY Posted at 2-16 07:33
Nothing ever works with DJI products. Crystal Sky never works with Pix4D, self unlocking constantly fails. I can go on and on. Go with a company like Autel. There's a reason DJI doesn't offer a simple 1-800 customer support contact. They would be flooded with numerous complaints about thier products.

I completely agree.
2022-2-16
Use props
fansf2e52ec4
lvl.2
United States

I switched from a Crystal Sky to a Tripltek tablet, and it appears DJI has changed up their self unlocking site a bit. On the Tripltek I'm able to download the unlocking licenses to the drone, whereas with the CrystalSky there is no option to download the unlocking licenses. The last time I flew with the Tripltek in restricted airspace, I experienced no issues. I haven't tried again with the CrystalSky and probably won't, while I'm in restricted airspace. It's mind boggling that DJI does not include the same functionality in their OEM gear (the CrystalSky) as 3rd party equipment (Tripltek and presumably many other 3rd party tablets).
2022-4-23
Use props
timo615
lvl.1
Flight distance : 588661 ft
Canada

Same same. Had a short flight window due to weather. Sometimes the checkboxes ( accept responsibility etc) come up, sometimes not. I fly this site regularly, never had an issue until yesterday, now two days in a row. Everything is updated. So, what’s changed ?
2022-10-22
Use props
fansf2e52ec4
lvl.2
United States

Just had a similar issue come up, this time with the Mavic 3 and Tripltek tablet. I was in an area with 100' AGL limit, and after booting upt the drone and controller, an alert on the Fly App main dashboard said authorization was required.  Using my phone as a hotspot, I was able to check off the 3 checkboxes acknowledging the flight and taking responsibility.  A message appeared saying the process was successful. However, the "authorization required" message stayed on the screen and I was not able to take off. I went through about 30 different attempts with the same result, rebooting the drone, controller, and tablet multiple times, and clicking on the checkboxes. Finally, for some reason on the final attempt the "authorization required" message disappeared and I was able to fly. However, I was fortunate I had extra time to go through the pointless exercise of so many attempts.

I also tried applying for authorization via the DJI self unlocking web page using first my phone and then the tablet, but the location I was at did not have a map overlay for controlled airspace. Also, I was required to submit documentation, and there was no way to skip that part. Back on the computer, no documenation is necessary, and the same location shows a map overlay that indicates it is controlled airspace.

2023-6-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fansf2e52ec4 Posted at 6-29 18:15
Just had a similar issue come up, this time with the Mavic 3 and Tripltek tablet. I was in an area with 100' AGL limit, and after booting upt the drone and controller, an alert on the Fly App main dashboard said authorization was required.  Using my phone as a hotspot, I was able to check off the 3 checkboxes acknowledging the flight and taking responsibility.  A message appeared saying the process was successful. However, the "authorization required" message stayed on the screen and I was not able to take off. I went through about 30 different attempts with the same result, rebooting the drone, controller, and tablet multiple times, and clicking on the checkboxes. Finally, for some reason on the final attempt the "authorization required" message disappeared and I was able to fly. However, I was fortunate I had extra time to go through the pointless exercise of so many attempts.

I also tried applying for authorization via the DJI self unlocking web page using first my phone and then the tablet, but the location I was at did not have a map overlay for controlled airspace. Also, I was required to submit documentation, and there was no way to skip that part. Back on the computer, no documenation is necessary, and the same location shows a map overlay that indicates it is controlled airspace.

Hi there. We're sorry for the trouble. We highly recommend you contact our team directly at flysafe@dji.com for further assistance. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules